Engine teardown with weight comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I liked the Kendal video and they deserve credit for making the effort to figure what it was that was wearing on the engine.
However, the Kendal was synthetic oil and the other oil was conventional so pretty useless as an oil to oil comparison.

I noticed there seems to be some accusations that the use of 20 weight oil is only a a gas mileage thing and there are folks suggesting that the engineers do not agree with it. I don’t buy into that assessment. The film strengths on these synthetics are so good they can now take advantage of the lower friction of the lower viscosity. Looks to me the lack of wear and tear on that engine helps to support that.

By the way, Exxon does not own a taxi fleet. Geesh.

If Kendall oil was easier to get, I'd likely still be using it. I ran it in my 97 5.7 Vortec and I was up to 11,000 km's between OC's running their full synthetic called "Kendall Elite" back then. Kendall, until cutbacks I assume, use to do free oil analysis if you ran their oil, which was a great gesture, imo. Every OC I did, the analysis came back, increase by 2,000 km's. I ended up moving and the place I purchased it at was a distance away so I moved to Mobil, regretfully.

Just looking at their website, I see they now have D-1 G-2 oil. I have no idea what the price of it is nowadays, but truth be known, I'd likely pay a little premium if I had too just to run it.
https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/gt-1-dexos1-full-synthetic-motor-oil

It's great oil, imo. I am just disappointed it isn't more readily available.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There is data; plenty of it.
Most of you just ignore it.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Over 12,000 UOAs in the data base.

Brand and grade do NOT matter in normal applications. Period. The typical variation of everyday equipment use (car, trucks, vans, tractors, generators, diesel, gasoline, NG, LPG, etc) is far greater than what you'll be able to show that vis has any effect.

Don't disagree with "it doesn't matter" as a general conclusion, but IIRC that was a statistical real-world mass-data analysis using UOA as an indicator of wear.

That doesn't seem to preclude finding a difference under more controlled experimental conditions, perhaps using better indicators.

I had a quick look back at the conclusions, which include:-

"There is always a “best” combination of equipment, lube and filter, but it goes undiscovered by most people because they do not apply the correct methodology"

That's a bit puzzling, because it seems at odds with the general "It doesn't matter" conclusion, and "do not apply the correct methodology" seems questionable.

It seems more likely that, if there is a best combination, its practically/statistically impossible for an individual, and perhaps for anyone, to establish what it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
Just looking at their website, I see they now have D-1 G-2 oil. I have no idea what the price of it is nowadays, but truth be known, I'd likely pay a little premium if I had too just to run it.
https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/gt-1-dexos1-full-synthetic-motor-oil It's great oil, imo. I am just disappointed it isn't more readily available.
frown.gif

Sadly, the dexos1 Gen2 Kendall oil does NOT have the cool high-Titanium formula like the other Kendall full synthetics.
That's why its nothing special.
I consider it equivalent to any other full synthetic at Walmart (except the high-PAO Mobil1 Extended Performance and Annual Protection).

I liked the Kendal video and they deserve credit for making the effort to figure what it was that was wearing on the engine.
However, the Kendal was synthetic oil and the other oil was conventional so pretty useless as an oil to oil comparison.
It was a blend, not full syn. Your point is good. Marketing fluff is rarely fair. I think the results would have been the same if they compared their blend with Pennzoil Gold Blend, for example.

By the way, Exxon does not own a taxi fleet. Geesh.
They probably just have a free-oil change arrangement with existing taxi fleets in exchange for oil sampling rights. ... Also, XOM could buy the old used-up taxis for teardown and disposal like you or I buying a stick of gum. Pocket change to XOM. An old taxi is worth $2,000 at most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back