Engine oil for longer service life over the winter

But leaving an engine running at a standstill is absolutely bad? I have no way to move the vehicle on the road in winter. I was only concerned with whether it makes a difference which oil to fill in during long downtimes or not.?
It will not hurt it. Letting it sit without running for months is far worse, seals dry out, moisture can build up, batteries go dead. Yes, driving it is better, but between not starting at all or running it, I would run it. Do what was recommended in post #4. I would add to it, make sure you run the air conditioner compressor.

Moisture only builds up in an engine if there's combustion byproducts. Put it away hot and leave it alone.

I realize that every vehicle is different in many ways and everyone's opinion is different about what to do when storing vehicles for months on end.

My buddies and I have been storing vehicles for over 50 years and none of us start the engine during that whole time. The Firebird FORMULA V8 in my signature has been stored since new for 44 years and I never start it over the winter time. She may sit for 6-7 months at a time before bringing her out in the spring time and I typically change the oil every 2 years. The internals are clean. I've replaced some gaskets so, I've seen the internals

For many years, this engine has seen nothing but conventional oils. Now she sees GroupIII HM Synthetic Oil. I keep the gas treated with a fuel stabilizer and the battery is on a maintainer. Keep good fluids in your car and it'll last longer than you.

I don't think it will matter, just use a quality synthetic the meets your car's spec... I would change it and run it a bit right before you put it in the garage for the season.
This is good advice right here. A fresh synthetic in the engine before long term storage is key. If there is a way for you to drain the oil without contaminating it, I would do that when you are about to use the vehicle and pour the oil back in. This would minimize the wear and tear from that very cold start on a bone dry engine.

This is good advice right here. A fresh synthetic in the engine before long term storage is key. If there is a way for you to drain the oil without contaminating it, I would do that when you are about to use the vehicle and pour the oil back in. This would minimize the wear and tear from that very cold start on a bone dry engine.
This is terrible advice-- a dry pan could cause the oil pump to lose prime, and what if you have to start the car in a hurry because the house is on fire? What if you're in the hospital and your significant other grabs the keys and starts the car up?

it is not a good procedure to just let a vehicle sit for that long,,at least once a month start the engine and run for at least 20 min (outside) ,also with the car in drive (foot on brake) to circulate tranny fluid,,use a battery tender also to keep up batt. charge,check air in tires also,,the brand of oil,get a full synthetic in the viscosity recomended for engine,,like Vavoline EP,Pennzoil Platinium Castrol Edge ,just to name a few,,,and lastly put out some mouse repellent so the wires,etc dont get runed by mice/varmint's,,,some gasoline conditioner is a good idea,like STP gas treatment along with a full tank.
i have storing caRS OVER THE WINTER since the late 80s. they are never started

Back