Engine Oi Tips for all buddies out here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: davison0976
Another consideration with thicker oil is how quickly it drains back to the pan while engine is warming up. Reduced flow of thicker oil can cause temporary oil starvation.

Seen it often ?

Only way for that to be remotely possible is if the MRV is so far away from the ambient temperature that it was a stupid oil choice in the first place...it's clearly not related to the 20, 30, 40, 50 part of the oil spec, but the "W" being completely wrong.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Uh, no, not exactly
Quote:
Advantages of using a thicker oil - Provide more protection for your engine parts

Thicker=/=more better

If it did, we'd all be using 40w70
There is always the point of diminishing returns. If a 30 for example keeps the parts separated under all of the operating conditions a 70 won't be of any advantage.

Friction modifiers have made thicker oils a thing of the past. That's why we can safely run 0W-20's with great wear results and fuel economy benefits. They're already working on a 0W-16 and a 0W-8 for the future factory fills. I believe Royal Purple already has a 0W-5 you can currently buy.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Clearly written by somebody who doesn't have much knowledge about oils, i was expecting it would say change your oil every 3000 Miles or 3 months too.

Isn't that when you're supposed to change the oil and filter?

Originally Posted By: jongies3
They're already working on a 0W-16 and a 0W-8 for the future factory fills. I believe Royal Purple already has a 0W-5 you can currently buy.

You can't equate new API standards to Royal Purple's mumbo jumbo "meets or exceeds" marketting.

They
* won't release the KVs, or any other data on their race oils so you can see where it is Viscosity wise.
* 0W5 is a made up grade
* they don't claim that it's in accordance with J300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back