Engine for Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe when you have a part replaced at a Volvo dealership it's guaranteed for life.

Of course everyone on here knows that this nitrogen charge is bogus. However the benefit to nitrogen is less pressure loss, and supposedly better handling. Not that we care or would notice a difference. I check my tire pressure monthly and seldom add any air so the replacement with nitrogen is negligible.

Topic 1:
Gary Smith Honda in Fort Walton Beach, FL has been straight with me on two auto purchases. Price offered over phone and
when I went to pick up the car there were no surprises. Price quoted over phone was exactly (or slightly higher) than
what I ended up paying and the vehicle was exactly as described. The quote from the local dealer was about $1000 higher.
The silence was deafening when I asked what they provided to me for that extra money...

Topic 2:
I recall years ago visiting a dealer who had a new, in demand sporty car on display. I looked at the second sticker
and found a line item "ADMU $2000.00" along with the normal paint sealant, fabric protectant, and pin striping.
I inquired as to what that line represented and was told that it was simply Additional Dealer Mark Up.

Stuff like this works because people still believe engines are the most vulnerable component in the car. Not the transmissions or electronics.

But it gives people a piece of mind for which they are willing to way overpay.

$300 for nitrogen is crazy! I checked the monroney and line ticket for my Subaru - I didn't see nitrogen on it as a line item. But it is apparently filled with nitrogen.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When it comes to cars you should pay as you go and only purchase what you need right now. (this does not include BITOG oil hoarders lol)

You never know what the future will bring. I spent almost $700 on IPD brake parts for my wife's 850 Volvo. All the parts were installed over the weekend. The car got totaled that next week in a spectacular accident.

I had to buy the salvage back for $280 to get most of my parts back. LINK

Any kind of extended warranty or engine for life would not have been worth much.

Wow, that she walked away from that is amazing. Glad she's OK.

Wonder if you're referring to Fowler Honda in Norman. Their sales team is horrendous. If you give them any kind of personal information, they will be hounding you like a dog. I've bought 4 Honda's, grandma and close friend have purchased 1, at Eskridge Honda in OKC. Never had any problem with the sales team beating me up for more info or non-stop phone calls. The 14 CRV below came with free oil changes for life, as long as we bring it in before the OLM goes to 0% and that came with the free engines for life. I just checked, but seems like they don't do the free oil changes, but they still do the engines for life thing. There's a salesman names Scott that I have gone through for all my Honda's. Straight to the point, no [censored]. What I do is when I'm ready to get another Honda....wife and I both average about 20K miles per year so we are pretty much buying a new Honda every 3 years between the two of us, is go to truecar.com and get an idea for the prices, don't even look at the MSRP. Eskridge Honda is pretty good about not sticking you with all those stupid dealer add-ons. When you're comfortable with a number, go down there and tell them I want this model, this color at this price. I've always told Scott that look, I'm not wasting your time test driving, or filling out paper work. My credit is good and you won't be wasting your time trying to get me financed. Quick and easy. He said that makes perfect sense to him, did the deal and out the door within an hour with the car I wanted. No, I don't work for those guys just an observation from all the years past. I actually did try Fowler Honda in Norman once, ONCE. It was for that 14 CRV, which was for the wife, she gave them her phone number and boy, was that a mistake. They hounded her constantly. Left a really bad taste in our mouths. Eskridge has by far, been the easiest to deal with.

Originally Posted By: csandste
"But he said he wanted that car and left with it the same day."

Cars are cars. I've walked away from more cars than I've bought. Nothing's worth a bad deal.

Yeah, that's what I said, didn't understand it either. May have been something wrong with his old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back