Poop Storm Used Car Purchase

I suspect in Florida; the bill of sale is requested for sales tax purposes.

Florida wants to validate you paid the Seller sales tax, and if not, you will pay the state of Florida the sales tax due during the application for title process.

Of note, an application for a vehicle title in Florida is processed through a Florida county tax collector office, not a DMV.

I imagine the dealer will help you. They have no real reason not to - you have the title and the car.

I also presume it would be pretty easy for them to get a judgement for theft against there former employee in small claims, assuming you would give them a sworn statement. Now collecting against the former employee is a different matter.

I suspect in Florida; the bill of sale is requested for sales tax purposes.

Florida wants to validate you paid the Seller sales tax, and if not, you will pay the state of Florida the sales tax due during the application for title process.

Of note, an application for a vehicle title in Florida is processed through a Florida county tax collector office, not a DMV.
Your likely right. Same in South Carolina. You have to go to the county and pay the tax first, then to the DMV with your tax receipt.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I am not sure a Bill of Sale filled out by the Buyer is fraudulent, as long as the bill of sale is accurate and truthful. Here is what may work just fine. You could even have this Bill of Sale notarized:

Bill of Sale

I Joe Smith paid Billy Bob at Luxury Car works $2,000 for a 2011 Toyota Scion:

Transaction details:

Year:2011

Make: Toyota

Model: Scion

VIN: 123456678aawwrrfff

Mileage:123456

As is sale: Yes

Purchase Price: $2,000

Sales tax collected: 0

Date of Transaction: 1 MAY 2024

Currency transaction conducted in: $1850 in USD, $150 in debit card, funds received by Billy Bob.

Signature/ Date

My cousin makes up his own FSA receipts. Said, “It’s my money I’ll be ****ed if I lose it.” I get that “everybody” does it, but I wouldn’t want issues over $3k, same as here.

I was in a tough spot with the VMWare takeover. I did not know my cost basis as I elected cash and Broadcom stock. I was gonna file for an extension because I said what am I gonna do…

Well, 11 years ago I had emailed myself showing my 4 purchases with dates and amounts.

I don’t know the answer to this either—I transferred all my securities to Vanguard when my wife worked for them. I really don’t know my cost basis and there are a lot of stocks…might need to call a professional, or not 😂

Yeah they register it in their name and then they file a police report that it has been stolen and that you have it. Do not cooperate with them for registering it in their name.

Last edited:
Yeah they register it in their name and then they file a police report that it has been stolen and that you have it. Do not cooperate with them for registering it in their name.
That would be suicide for them. My uncle went with me to buy the car. I have a witness, and bank statements showing I paid them money.

I am not sure a Bill of Sale filled out by the Buyer is fraudulent, as long as the bill of sale is accurate and truthful. Here is what may work just fine. You could even have this Bill of Sale notarized:

Bill of Sale

Transaction details:

Currency transaction conducted in: $1850 in USD, $150 in debit card, funds received by Billy Bob.

Signature/ Date
I wish this were possible. Why can’t the dealer give me a bill of sale like this and they sign it?

I mean they could even say the employee stole it, buts not my problem. I did pay them $150 in debit.

So let’s say this gets registered. There still is a potential mess of vehicle being reported stolen and unclear title that OP has to sort.

Bill of Sale

Transaction details:

Signature/ Date
That works however you need dealer to sign it unless state has a specific bill of sale form that dealers should be using.

I wish this were possible. Why can’t the dealer give me a bill of sale like this and they sign it?

I mean they could even say the employee stole it, buts not my problem. I did pay them $150 in debit.
So the dealer has indicated they will not provide a BoS?

You said you have the title? Is the title signed by someone that worked there?

Small claims I guess?

That works however you need dealer to sign it unless state has a specific bill of sale form that dealers should be using.
Says who? The Buyer is providing a legitimate bill of sale. Not sure the clerk has an audit sheet to validate, verify, or accredit a bill of sale. As long as the bill of sale is legitimate- that is what counts. The definition of legitimate in my mind is if the bill of sale is true and accurate. And if the Buyer follows the format I provided and puts all facts/ truths in the input fields- it is a legitimate bill of sale.

On what grounds could it be challenged if the bill of sale is all true and accurate?

So let’s say this gets registered. There still is a potential mess of vehicle being reported stolen and unclear title that OP has to sort.
It couldn't get registered if the DMV doesn't issue a clear title in his name. So if it was reported stolen he would have title and registration in his name.

Says who? The Buyer is providing a legitimate bill of sale. Not sure the clerk has an audit sheet to validate, verify, or accredit a bill of sale. As long as the bill of sale is legitimate- that is what counts. The definition of legitimate in my mind is if the bill of sale is true and accurate. And if the Buyer follows the format I provided and puts all facts/ truths in the input fields- it is a legitimate bill of sale.

On what grounds could it be challenged if the bill of sale is all true and accurate?

Who’s signing bill of sale as seller? Not same state however notice what makes one legal :
IMG_3236.jpg

I suspect the dealer never "touched" this car. The title, if my hunch is correct, is signed by the last registered owner. So you need a bill of sale from that "owner."

FWIW you can turn any title from anywhere into a Maine one in your name using only the title and a title application you pick up at the DMV. It's a long drive for you but there are agencies you can give power of attorney to, to handle this. (They register scads of semi trailers here.)

Once you have a title in your name, approach your home state and give them some sad story about it's yours but you lost the rest of the paperwork but would be willing to pay sales tax on the blue book value or whatever.

I suspect the dealer never "touched" this car. The title, if my hunch is correct, is signed by the last registered owner. So you need a bill of sale from that "owner."

FWIW you can turn any title from anywhere into a Maine one in your name using only the title and a title application you pick up at the DMV. It's a long drive for you but there are agencies you can give power of attorney to, to handle this. (They register scads of semi trailers here.)

Once you have a title in your name, approach your home state and give them some sad story about it's yours but you lost the rest of the paperwork but would be willing to pay sales tax on the blue book value or whatever.
You don't need a bill of sale here in SC either - but you need the title fully completed by the previous owner.

My guess is Florida really doesn't need one either - but something was wrong with what is filled out. The entire point of a standardized title with all the spots for owners and buyers to complete - is to avoid missing something and needing additional paperwork.

Reactions: GON
You don't need a bill of sale here in SC either - but you need the title fully completed by the previous owner.

My guess is Florida really doesn't need one either - but something was wrong with what is filled out. The entire point of a standardized title with all the spots for owners and buyers to complete - is to avoid missing something and needing additional paperwork.
Florida likely just wants to make sure sales tax was paid, or that it gets paid which the bill of sale provides the validation of tax paid, or amount required to be paid to title the vehicle. The 2012 S550 I rebuilt had a Florida salvage title, and getting it inspected and issued a rebuilt title required a bill of sale- only for the purpose of sales tax collection, not a single other reason.

In my case, I made myself the only name on the bill of sale. Everything I entered on the document was truthful and factual. Nobody cared at the FL government office about anything except tax collection. If the title was "bad-fraud", the FL government system catches that.

Last edited:
Florida likely just wants to make sure sales tax was paid, or that it gets paid which the bill of sale provides the validation of tax paid, or amount required to be paid to title the vehicle. The 2012 S550 I rebuilt had a Florida salvage title, and getting it inspected and issued a rebuilt title required a bill of sale- only for the purpose of sales tax collection, not a single other reason.

In my case, I made myself the only name on the bill of sale. Everything I entered on the document was truthful and factual. Nobody cared at the FL government office about anything except tax collection. If the title was "bad-fraud", the FL government system catches that.
Here they just look up the value in their database (which is KBB) and charge you the tax. Only way to pay less is apply for less based on damage or high miles. Bill of sale is not needed, since clearly anyone can just generate whatever they want.

However it really depends on how the title is filled out. If it’s filled out completely and properly, I would be following your plan.

Reactions: GON
Here they just look up the value in their database (which is KBB) and charge you the tax. Only way to pay less is apply for less based on damage or high miles. Bill of sale is not needed, since clearly anyone can just generate whatever they want.

However it really depends on how the title is filled out. If it’s filled out completely and properly, I would be following your plan.
Yep. Anything they want.

I love that some states want number of cylinders. I bet if you polled people in a WM parking lot fewer than 50% would know what they drive. I'd want to put "7.2 cylinders" but that would just cause them to reject the whole thing. And another example of the law not keeping up -- how many cylinders are in that Tesla?

Back