Engine "Core-Locked"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Answer to your questions:

1. Can turbulence by itself cause a loss of control great enough to down an aircraft?

Only one type of turbulence could really cause this and that is extreme turbulence, actual definition from FAA. This is extremely rare though!!! You would find this in a severe thunderstorm or a hurricane and even then it is a very isolated event. I have encountered Severe turbulence tons of times and this is what you probably have been through, it has not brought down an aircraft in modern times that I am aware. Yes it is very uncomfortable flying through it and as pilots we avoid it, if we get in it we work hard to get out of it. Aircraft are designed to take a beating like severe turbulence and are very stable. When flow in the proper parameters, like anything else keep it in its design limits and you are good.

SIMPLE ANSWER THINK IF TURBULENCE AS TYPICAL MICHIGAN OR PA HIGHWAY ROUGH BUT SURVIVABLE.
tongue.gif

I ask this as a few rough spots before had me praying the pilot would get us out of it safely

If it is simply "bumps in the road" I will not worry then.

2. During some turbulence it seems as if the wings are "quaking" movement wise. From a structural standpoint is there anything to worry about?

NO, nothing to worry about the wings flex and they flex during all phases of flight, you just notice them more during the bumps because they move a lot. That flex keeps the wings from coming apart. They are designed that way, if you get a chance to watch the video on the 777, you will see a test where the load the wing up and bend it to see when it will break. Very impressive video.

3. "Wind Shear" warning systems, during the relatively rapid landing and take off periods how effective are such sensor suites?

In other words by the time your alerted of shear at such speeds are you able to quickly counter react

The modern windshear sensors on aircraft are good and give you adequate warning, additionally, the training of how to fly out of windshear has been greatly improved. Also, pilots at the majors are trained on how to anticipate windshear due to the weather in the area. We have very strict parameters we have to maintain on an approach and if we deviate we initiate an immediate go around. This has all come about due to accidents involving windshear.

Flying is very safe and the pilots who fly in the majors are highly trained. Hope I answered your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back