emotional support gone amok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Reading this thread I feel like needing an emotional animal. Lol

ziX5yBe5T.jpg

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
As long as they don’t allow snakes on a plane, I think we're going to be fine.

Would now be a bad time to mention Monty my emotional support Python?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 on that, its hogwash and she is a friggin lunatic.

Why so insensitive LOL

He might be on to something. I think a lunatic is defined as someone of unsound mind. How many people of sound mind have a peacock for a support animal and would be willing to pay for an airline seat for it? Being of unsound mind probably qualifies as a disability, but it probably wasn't trained as a support animal.

Emotional support animals have increased by over 75% year over year. 2016-2017.

Either twice as many people have developed issues, inside of 12 months, or there is abuse of the accommodation. I have my suspicions on that score...

How about this:

ADA still applies to service animals, who have always been accommodated. Service animals aren’t the issue. They’re highly trained, and welcome on my airplane anytime. They aren’t the ones biting, barking, hissing, defecating, or urinating at, or on, other passengers.

To accommodate those who need ESA, and weed out the abusers, we stipulate:

1. Folks who travel with emotional support animals must provide 48 hours’ notice and a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional.

2. They must provide confirmation that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting and acknowledge responsibility for the animal’s behavior.

3. They must provide a health and vaccination form signed by the animal’s veterinarian. The veterinarian must also affirm that there is no reason to believe that the animal will pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others on the aircraft or cause a significant disruption in service.

That work?

The ESA on my flight from EWR-MIA today was just fine. I’ve got no issue with trained, well-behaved animals who do not infringe on the rights of the rest of the passengers, or my ability to provide safe, clean transport.

Last edited:
Astro's 3 point plan.

I agree.

My sister's Cavoodle should be nowhere on your plane except the cargo hold.

Looks like this thread is ending up as becoming another crazy ride on the merry-go-round - LINK ....
lol.gif

I suspect that this young woman was merely making a point in that too many people bring pets into passenger cabins by claiming that they're ESAs.
The best solution might be to ban non-humans from passenger cabins entirely. Many people don't care to have to fly with others' animals and there is no way of knowing what even a well trained service dog might do in the event of an evacuation from a burning wreck. These are rare events, but I can think of a few that have happened on this continent over the last decade.
The FARs would trump ADA in any such case.
I'd not be too happy to see the fatalities add up due to a large dog that freaked out in an emergency and was trying to bite anyone who got near its master laying incapacitated in the aisle.
Those of us who've actually had large dogs know that they don't do well in unaccustomed high stress situations without direct guidance from their human companions.

Originally Posted By: Win

These airlines have made a decision to accept these animals to keep the business of a subset of their customers, and are now struggling with the inevitable application of give an inch, and somebody takes a mile.

I'd say this sums the discussion up well, so I'll quote it and then apply a mercy lock. Some people have regrettably said things that they shouldn't, or are on the cusp. In the interest of having an enjoyable weekend, lock time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back