emotional support gone amok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm all for service dogs. German Shepherds seem to be the smartest.

I see quite a few golden labs and even a few mutts that are super smart and really work hard to help their owner. The point is these animals are a God send to the people who need them and are in reality more of a working animal than just one for emotional support which I am sure they also provide their owners.
They are welcome any place any time in my book.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Must be a new year...I agree with Nickdfresh on an entire post.

Cheers
cheers3.gif

+1 Yep must be. Twice in week now agreeing with Shannow on a topic. Frequently agree Nickdfresh though, and mincing no words he's SPOT ON here yet again including the very apt description of the OP. So to both,
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

Just a few notes for all ...

1) the "very apt description of the OP" got him a well-earned 30 day vacation, so tread carefully

2) in my follow up post, I linked several OFFICIAL US ADA sites that clearly define what a "service animal" is. And of note, those links clearly spell out what is and is not acceptable. And although you may disagree, it seems my interpretation is spot on with the ADA delineations.

I said this in my initial post: "I have no problem whatsoever with true "service animals" ..." and I was speaking in context, that of taking animals on public air-flights.

According to these links:

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/passengers-disabilities

http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/73

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/P3.SA_.HUD Matrix.6-28-6.pdf

And this coup de grace; see questions 3 and 4
https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Q1. What is a service animal?
A. Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability.

Q2. What does "do work or perform tasks" mean?
A. The dog must be trained to take a specific action when needed to assist the person with a disability. For example, a person with diabetes may have a dog that is trained to alert him when his blood sugar reaches high or low levels. A person with depression may have a dog that is trained to remind her to take her medication. Or, a person who has epilepsy may have a dog that is trained to detect the onset of a seizure and then help the person remain safe during the seizure.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?
A. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

I already said that I have no objection to a "service animal" on flights, (or anywhere for that matter). I do have an objection to "emotional support animals" being on flights, or in public places where their presence causes others to be unreasonably affected. Your right to have a emotional support peacock does not trump my right to not have it defecate on the floor next to my seat, or squawk and keep me awake, or flap and get it's feathers all over and agitate my allergies, etc. This is a slippery slope; once you open the doors for ESAs (emotional support animals), it's just a free-for-all of ever escalating stupidity. ESA squirrels, ESA peacocks, ESA snakes, etc, etc.

Nickdfresh had an objection based on two things: PTSD and "emotional support". Those are actually separate topics. PTSD would be covered IF the animal is specifically trained to recognize the onset of a PTSD event, and perform specific tasks to calm the person. If the dog is just there as a general comfort aid, it does NOT qualify as a "service animal". He said animals "help" ... That is not the litmus test as applied; the animal must be able to recognize a condition or situation, and then alter the response of the person with specific training actions.

IOW ...
- It would be reasonable and OK per ADA: Service animal recognizes psycho-motive nuances like voice trembling, uptick in perspiration, etc and specifically performs a task like leads the person to a quite place, intervenes by placing itself between the protected person and aggressive situation, etc.
- Not OK per the ADA: sits on your lap because it makes you "feel better"; no specific training to detect onset of trigger conditions, and no actions taken to reduce or eliminate the stimuli other than just be present. The "Gosh - I'm afraid to fly but Fluffy my pet Chihuahua makes me happy when she sleeps on my lap" answer is NOT going to cut it per the ADA.

So maybe that helps clear things up?

Like I said, I have no issue with "service animals" that are qualified and actually are compliant with the ADA. But either leave your ESA at home when you board the plane, or you can drive your peacock to your destination in your own car, rather than bothering other folks on the bus/train/plane.

Last edited:
Dave,
from the same : https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
(DOES NOT APPLY TO ESA!)
(....not only dogs are the ADA service animals)

Miniature Horses

In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
- Not OK per the ADA: .... So maybe that helps clear things up?

Because a business is not legally required to make an accommodation, does not mean they are prohibited from doing so.

These airlines have made a decision to accept these animals to keep the business of a subset of their customers, and are now struggling with the inevitable application of give an inch, and somebody takes a mile.

This is a business decision, until someone gets injured by a poor judgment call. My personal opinion is that the person in charge of the safe operation of the airplane, bus, whatever, should have the final say on the matter of whether legally unprotected animals travel in the passenger cabin or cargo hold.

This is a real sticky situation for airlines. If you are sitting three abreast and you have a passenger and a Support animal in the other two seats would you feel comfortable eating your meal (International flights) or even sleeping? On any flight over a few hours the animal will have to go. Next thing you know the lavatories will be animal accessible

I’m all for service dogs for those who need them and I believe most owners are aware that travel may have to be adapted to the situation like driving instead of flying. Bringing cats, peacocks, ferrets and snakes is a sign of entitlement by the snowflakes.

The couple of people that I know who have dogs, one blind and the other I cannot remember, understand the limits the dogs place. They would not burden others with their situation.

... Just a few notes for all ...

1) the "very apt description of the OP" got him a well-earned 30 day vacation, so tread carefully....

'Afaik' noting agreement with another member or members breaks no forum rules. So, stand by what I posted.

As for the rest of the bloviating missive not quoted...
tldrbored@2x.jpg

I read the original link on a more positive note. The airlines ARE taking the issues to heart and changing their policies.

I wonder if this thread would have progressed in a better direction if the title was not so inflammatory? Would it had evolved into a civil discussion if the title was "Airlines Step-Up To Plate To End Mis-use of ADA Support Animal Regulations". Instead, the nature of the original post is to incite knee jerk, negative reactions. People interject their lack of knowledge about both legitimate service AND therapy animals, then start painting a with a broad brush about all animals. Can't we all get along?
lol.gif

Just wondering.
10.gif

1) the "very apt description of the OP" got him a well-earned 30 day vacation, so tread carefully....

'Afaik' noting agreement with another member or members breaks no forum rules. So, stand by what I posted.

Well the original post limited "genuine reason" to "seeing eye dog"...the hard to read red stuff expanded the field to what was "really" meant.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Dave,
from the same : https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
(DOES NOT APPLY TO ESA!)
(....not only dogs are the ADA service animals)

Miniature Horses

In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

I was worried about this, picturing an airplane full of miniature horses...

Until I read this: (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.

So, got it...dogs and cats OK...but no horses in the cabin... I've carried miniature horses, and a calf, in bulk cargo...no problem with them riding there...

.....Well the original post limited "genuine reason" to "seeing eye dog"...the hard to read red stuff expanded the field to what was "really" meant.

My OP meaning was for 'original poster', if that wasn't clear.' Anyway here's another
cheers3.gif
for Nickd. If he decides to come back, see him in 30. Reading a couple of his posts from early this morn, he was like buttah...on a roll.
55.gif

Well the original post limited "genuine reason" to "seeing eye dog"...the hard to read red stuff expanded the field to what was "really" meant.

No, sir. You're inserting your interpretation to fit a narrative that I did NOT state or imply.

Here is what I said ...
"I have no problem whatsoever with true "service animals" such as well-trained dogs from a certified facility, assisting the blind."

The use of the words "such as" is to imply an example, not a limitation. The phrase I used ("seeing eye dog") is the term we in the States typically use for a service animal assisting the blind. Nowhere did I limit the entire topic of "service-animal" to only one species in my original post.

You have taken your words and put them in my mouth; I would ask you refrain from doing that.

I have no problem whatsoever with true "service animals" such as well-trained dogs from a certified facility, assisting the blind. That makes total sense to me. The laws were first put into place so that people with real needs could utilize an animal that truly improved their ambulatory mobility. "Seeing eye dog" was the term back in the day.

They ARE your words ???

You've already told me in other threads that you'd rather see me off the board for disagreeing with you on camshaft wear SAE papers.

I said:
I have no problem whatsoever with true "service animals" such as well-trained dogs from a certified facility ...

You said:
Well the original post limited "genuine reason" to "seeing eye dog"...

You are wrong. I never limited my definition of a service-animal to only dogs. I used a "seeing eye dog" as an illustrative condition; not a limitation. My use of the words "such as" is akin to "as an example" in the English language.

You are wrong; the "limitation" of which you speak (and all it's sub context) was never present in my original post, or any of my subsequent posts, regarding service-animals.

My original post was about the topic of delineating between service animals, and emotional support animals, and how the use of ESAs has become overly complex and abused.

You either misunderstood by accident, or are purposefully engaging in a taunt.

I simply ask that if you're going to quote me, or reveal an inference, that you get it right and not insert your words into my mouth.

Last edited:

I have no problem whatsoever with true "service animals" such as well-trained dogs from a certified facility, assisting the blind. That makes total sense to me. The laws were first put into place so that people with real needs could utilize an animal that truly improved their ambulatory mobility. "Seeing eye dog" was the term back in the day.

They ARE your words ???

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are they your words, quoted as you posted them ???

tldrbored@2x.jpg

+1 about the long posts coming from certain members. I don't have the time nor the desire to make or read such long-winded posts. So, I move along to the next post. Furthermore, when a member has made offensive posts in the past, I no longer read their posts anymore. Life is too short, my life is very busy taking care of other people, and I don't have the time to spend on reading posts like that.

Yes- that quote is of my words. However ...
My point, the exception I take which you are clearly missing, is that you inferred a limitation to only dogs, which I clearly only used as an example.
I do not deny what I said. I am complaining that you inserted an inference (limited to a dog) that I NEVER said or implied; I only made an example.
You clearly stated "original post limited "genuine reason" to "seeing eye dog"...
You are wrong. Wrong as wrong can be. I cannot express how wrong you are in this case.
I never limited my definition of service animal to only dogs; I clearly used the words "such as" to imply an example, not a limitation.
Further, you underlined the word "real" when quoting me; that is not something present in the original post. You placed emphasis where I did not.
I gave dogs as an example; you said I limited it to dogs. You are wrong.
I made a statement without emphasis; you added an underline when you quoted me which never existed in the original form.
Hence, you misrepresent what I say and also add inflection where I never put it.
That is either careless or callous, depending upon your intent.
That is the distinction that I make. That is the distinction you miss.
This is the reason you and I argue so often; you misinterpret what I say, and induce your own bias in to my statements

Also, you are misrepresenting the inferences regarding your board status. The conversation you refer to was in this substantive context ...
- We disagreed in a thread, back and forth, as we often do.
- We were quoting each other so quickly that we were talking past each other. The nature of the conversation was lost in "real time" minute-by-minute exchanges.
- You took exception to a post I made and then deleted. Because of the back-and-forth, I misunderstood what you had said; it was my fault. I publically admitted that fault, and retracted what I posted.
- You complained about not being able to delete a post; I explained to you how to "edit" instead of deleting.
- You threatened to leave the board, never to return.
- I said "Fine by me." (this was true then and still true now; I will not object if you don't return to the board.)
Here's the distinction I make:
If you choose to leave the board voluntarily, I'm OK with that. If you want to threaten to leave, just do it. I'm not gong to indulge your behavior by accommodating a tantrum. I am NOT, in any manner, threatening you or abusing my privileges as a moderator. (To the best of my knowledge, you've not broken any rules, and therefore I have no reason to ban you). Just because you and I disagree on about everything, is not a cause to take authoritative action. I find you irritating and generally unable to follow my posts without the invasion of your bias into my concepts. But I don't perceive that you break rules with any malice or frequency, so there's no reason for you to be banned.

The only three reasons you'd not post here would be:
1) voluntary (you choose not to participate)
2) unable (your participation causes you to be banned in accordance with our rules, and so your privileges are removed)
3) involuntary (you cease to be capable or the entire internet collapses)

Yes- I would not be against your voluntary absence.
No- I will not abuse, contort, or violate the privilege I have as a moderator to see that happen.
Yes- I will ban you if you violate the rules.
No- I don't perceive that you're likely to violate the rules, so banning really isn't something you should fear.

Such as ... for example ... in the instance of ... with illustration ... case in point ...
but not limited to, bounded by, or otherwise constrained herein:
Nickdfresh was banned not because he disagreed with me; he was banned because he used a foul and unacceptable slang term when referring to a member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back