Electric Oil Type Room Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted By: Linctex
[color:#FF0000][/color]

I would guess that if you had a 20 amp breaker and #12 wire to begin with, your photo would be prevented.
Or is there more to it ? ? ?

Possible:
Distance between breaker and outlet.
Age / condition of outlet.

most generic residential grade power receptacles sold in big-box stores are ONLY RATED 15A UL -

Gotta buy a COMMERCIAL GRADE receptacle UL RATED 20A to safely handle 20a w/20a breaker on a single outlet.
(they have one blade that looks like a 'cross' + ) like this

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Every year, I get calls to replace several of these…

The cause is always space heaters in the winter & window unit air conditioners in the summer

Replace them with 20 amp commercial spec grade receptacles .

One advantage of the " oil filed " heater is they have a larger surface area working at lower surface temperature .
Less likely to burn skin or furnishings , if they fal over .

Slower to heat up the rom , but more " gentle " heat

1500 watts is basically about 12.5 amps. Most bedroom circuits are just 15 amps and you're not supposed to run them at their full rating. I've replaced an outlet that also melted. It was an old outlet and when they get old, the springs holding the blades get weak so it's easy for heat to build up.

Basically the point I was trying to make earlier is that any $15-$100 electric heater will heat the room to whatever temp you want up to its rating as they're all basically 100% efficient. The extra money is basically for fancier controls. There won't be one 1500 watt heater that provides more heat than another. Some designs are also safer in that the older types with electric wires used to cause fires when paper and other debris gets in them, but most newer ones are ceramic and are less likely to cause a fire.

But in general any electric heater these days is considered a fire hazard and you should avoid using them on a regular basis, as others mentioned, they can also melt the electrical socket.

I have an electric oil filled 1500 watt heather that I use in my computer room that is 15 x 12 and it works suffice. I run it on the highest setting for about 20 minutes then put it on eco mode & im pleased with it. I also have a 1500 watt Eden Pure heater that I keep in my living room. I keep the oil furnace heat thermostat at 63 at night & until I arrive home from work -- then I have it set for 68 degrees an hour before I get home to warm up the whole house. When im in the living room during the morning before work, the Eden Pure is set on high which goes to 86 degrees on the high heat setting. I use that while I drink acouple cups of coffee, make my lunch and watch the morning news some. That heater works great. Then on cold/snowy/wintery days like today I set it on low setting at 75 degrees & the oil furnace does not run at all. Living/dining room and kitchen stay about 68 degrees which suits me fine. I truly believe its all about good windows/doors & insulation. Electric heaters serve a good purpose for my needs & I have no regrets purchasing either one. If one fails, I will purchase another.

I wish we had natural gas here where I live. It's the best alternative to electricity in a couple of ways, or more; cost, efficiency, etc. I really prefer to cook with a gas stove over electric any day. Gas appliances are more efficient and last longer than electric. Well, in my past experience anyway.

Go to Home Depot. 1500 watt one is $39, my grandparents have one that they use occasionally and it works great. My brother uses one in his apartment (only heat source) and it works good too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Go to Home Depot. 1500 watt one is $39, my grandparents have one that they use occasionally and it works great. My brother uses one in his apartment (only heat source) and it works good too.

Thanks Nick!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

While at Home Depot, If your handy, you can replace your cheap residential 15 AMP outlet with a commercial grade 15 AMP outlet..the commercial grade 15 AMP outlets are much more robust.

I dont agree with going to a 20 AMP spade type of outlet on a 15 AMP circuit as its a violation, it would allow someone to plug in a heavy duty 20 AMP device designed to run in a 20 AMP ciruit into a 15 amp circuit and why the reason for the "spade" on the 20 AMP.

Here you go and what I am talking about, also scroll down the page

Here is more, a general search, you can also click on "images"

I think we all agree a high AMP device really should have a dedicated ciruit and that is the proper way to do it but also know ... it is what it is ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
While at Home Depot, If your handy, you can replace your cheap residential 15 AMP outlet with a commercial grade 15 AMP outlet..the commercial grade 15 AMP outlets are much more robust.

I dont agree with going to a 20 AMP spade type of outlet on a 15 AMP circuit as its a violation, it would allow someone to plug in a heavy duty 20 AMP device designed to run in a 20 AMP ciruit into a 15 amp circuit and why the reason for the "spade" on the 20 AMP.

I think we all agree a high AMP device really should have a dedicated ciruit and that is the proper way to do it but also know ... it is what it is ...

Thank You Sir.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

Replace them with 20 amp commercial spec grade receptacles

I would........ if the wire was 12 gauge and the breaker was 20 amps, I would.

I don't feel right putting a 20 amp outlet on a 14ga wire/15amp circuit.

As a side note - - I think GE 15 amp breakers are not that great.

Square D for all my personal stuff.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Most bedroom circuits are just 15 amps and you're not supposed to run them at their full rating. I've replaced an outlet that also melted. It was an old outlet and when they get old, the springs holding the blades get weak so it's easy for heat to build up.

yes.... EXACTLY

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Thank You Sir.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Welcome, here are the actual specs of the type outlet I would choose, which means any type of industrial, heavy duty, if I was doing what you are, carried in Home Depots, Lowes etc, prices here are list from the manufacturer..

Click here

I just replaced six worn out standard 15A outlets for $0.68 each, one specifically for my 1500 watt space heater. The house hasn't even burned down yet.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I just replaced six worn out standard 15A outlets for $0.68 each, one specifically for my 1500 watt space heater. The house hasn't even burned down yet.

The cheap ones are the residential grade. The commercial grades have stronger springs and are usually at least $1-$2+ each. Not that there's anything wrong with a new residential grade one, it'll just wear out sooner than a commercial grade one.

The cheap ones are the residential grade. The commercial grades have stronger springs and are usually at least $1-$2+ each. Not that there's anything wrong with a new residential grade one, it'll just wear out sooner than a commercial grade one.

Yup, I always use the Commercial ones as well
thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah, but I plan on selling this house within two years. When I build, everything will be commercial grade. Not to mention the insulation and HVAC will be so efficient that I will never need a space heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back