E15 : List of vehicles that accept it

, and often E0 premium.

What octane rating is E0 premium? Is it actually 93 octane or is it 91 octane?

Reason I ask is that the highest octane I've found for ethanol free gas for Virginia is 91 octane. And that makes me think it's BOB (before oxygenate blending) gas that, when 10% ethanol is added to it, becomes 93 octane.

And if they have a blender pump fed by tanks with ethanol, 85 octane BOB, and 91 octane BOB, they could make any blend from E0 to E85 at the pump.

Around here, E0 is not allowed to be sold because there's a required for RFG/oxygenated gas due to this being a non-attainment area. Vehicles here are also required to have emissions inspections.

Where is anyone requiring anyone to use E15? Requiring that E15 replace E10 in its entirety?

The answer is nobody is and it's the red herring that gets put out there when e15 is discussed.

Less than 4% of fuel retailers even offer E15 today in the US. Those that do (like the 20% of Minnesota fueling stations that sell it) sell E15 side by side with E10, and often E0 premium. They didnt replace all E10 fuels with it and there is zero reason to do so.

The opposition to even having a choice sure is perplexing around here...
As long as there's a choice at the pumps if a station decides to go E15, and this doesn't become some "Gov't mandate" or plan to make about every station start selling E15 instead of E10 just to try to "bring down" gas prices. If they really want to bring down gas prices, then get the oil companies to produce more oil.

I'm slso reading that E15 pollutes more than E10, and that's why it's typically not sold in the summer months.

As long as there's a choice at the pumps if a station decides to go E15,

I'm slso reading that E15 pollutes more than E10, and that's why it's typically not sold in the summer months.
Current law actually limits e15 to 9 while e10 can emit 10 on the VOC scale, which is ideotic, this mandate straightens out this nonsense

What’s funny about this is that the amount of corn in ground (to be planted) was already decided long before this decree so the amount of available ethanol may or may not match up to the mandate
AKA The mandate doesn’t matter but it does reduce costs so stations and suppliers don’t need to cycle in/out e15 seasonally

Next e15 actually burns more cleanly and is more “efficient “ on a BTU vrs Power basis compared to e10

The thing that make E15 “pollute more” also improves fuel economy (vapor pressure)
Funny part is no modern car has an open gas tank to the atmosphere, AKA your evap system collects the “Pollution “ so e15 makes no additional voc in the wild when used in most any car.

Now if you fill up a 50’s car or lawn mower, then park it for a week in 110 degree sun…
One would assume most who burn e15 aren’t throwing it in rarely driven classic cars and chain saws, however

All in all a nothing burger

What octane rating is E0 premium? Is it actually 93 octane or is it 91 octane?

Reason I ask is that the highest octane I've found for ethanol free gas for Virginia is 91 octane. And that makes me think it's BOB (before oxygenate blending) gas that, when 10% ethanol is added to it, becomes 93 octane.

And if they have a blender pump fed by tanks with ethanol, 85 octane BOB, and 91 octane BOB, they could make any blend from E0 to E85 at the pump.

Around here, E0 is not allowed to be sold because there's a required for RFG/oxygenated gas due to this being a non-attainment area. Vehicles here are also required to have emissions inspections.
E0 or E10 premium is virtually always 91 octane here. I haven't looked for it recently but some Bps here carried 93 e10 premium.

Minnesota has required nearly all gas to be e10 since 2003 or so. Premium E0 is allowed and labeled for use in collector vehicles, ope, snowmobiles, boats, etc...

Stations selling e15 here typically are selling it instead of mid grade. While other regions are different, plenty of stations here do not use blender pumps to mix migrade but have dedicated tanks and hoses making selling E15 easier...

Stations selling e15 here typically are selling it instead of mid grade. While other regions are different, plenty of stations here do not use blender pumps to mix migrade but have dedicated tanks and hoses making selling E15 easier...

The Sheetz stations here that sell E15 also sell E85. I suspect that they make E15 by blending E85 with E10. They also sell 87/89/93 octane gas, and get the 89 by blending 87 and 93.

So they only need 3 tanks--E85, E10/87, and E10/93--to offer E15, E85, and 87/89/93.

I'm unaware of any gas stations in this area that sell E15 that don't also sell E85.

GM had issued a TSB in 1985 stating that their vehicles were designed for E10 gasoline because even in the 80s it was available in the midwest.
I have a couple of GM owners manuals from 84-86 where GM claims light pinging was okay. It meant that the engine was working at its most efficient.

Funny part is no modern car has an open gas tank to the atmosphere, AKA your evap system collects the “Pollution “ so e15 makes no additional voc in the wild when used in most any car.

Well, unless you lose your gas cap and spent your last $10 on beer, cigarettes, and a lotto ticket, then you use a sock.

The thing is...ethanol fuel has been available since the 80s. It's hard to find details, since a lot of this history is not on the internet, but GM has since the 1980 model year allowed the use of E10 gasoline in their vehicles (per a TSB issued in 1995).

Chances are that if you filled up your gas tank in Chicagoland in the 80s, you put ethanol gas in it.

In Virginia, where I live now, ethanol gas wasn't available here prior to around the early 2000s when MTBE was phased out. So a lot of people who apparently don't get around much think that ethanol gas didn't exist at all prior to then....

As far as the topic of this thread...I accidentally put a tank of E15 in my 1998 Nissan Frontier. Forgot that it was only a 1998 model, not a 2001 model. The years all run together when you get older....

It runs just fine on E15. Haven't noticed a mileage drop either. I do need to replace the fuel filter since it has 90K with the original fuel filter, but Nissan conveniently put the hose clamps on with the screwheads facing up. Seems it goes in before the bed goes on.
Gasahol was available in LA in the '70s. I used it in my 66 Mercury Comet V8. I've been fascinated by alt-fuels for awhile. My Valiant I have run on leaded, low lead, EC1 [Arco, CA] , E10 over forty years of motoring.
Funny the industry just stopped at corn and didn't go beyond corn.

I didn't know that. I always hated hearing that sound in the '84 Citation I had. It seemed real CYA boilerplate from GM. Thanks

Since I have the manual for my 98 Nissan Frontier right here this is what it says

"However, now and then you may notice light spark knock for a short time while accelerating or driving up hills. This is no cause for concern, because you get the greatest fuel benefit when there is light spark knock for a short time under heavy engine load"

Think they meant to write "greatest fuel ECONOMY benefit".

I saw a picture in a science book from the 70s showing a gas pump that said gasahol on it.

The 70s? How about the 1930s...

crops0501.jpg

Gasohol was primarily methanol blends
Which gave ethanol blended fuels a bad name

In the 20’s onward there was a war of antinock compounds, ethanol lost to leaded gas

Strangely enough, some owner's manuals (like my 98 Nissan Frontier) said that methanol is OK up to 5%.

Gasohol (E10) was around in southeastern Virginia in the 1980s, then it disappeared until MTBE was removed from gasoline. 7-Elevens with gas pumps had it and I remember filling my car with it in the mid–1980s.

Methanol is not more widely used as fuel because it attacks aluminum and rubber much worse than does ethanol, not to mention you really don't want a spill getting into waterways.

My 2022 Toyota Camry with 2.5 4 cylinder has no issues running E15. I live in Iowa where it's made so it's usually 15 cents cheaper. Don't notice a difference in gas mileage. Still get low 40s mpg.

newer + remodeled Sheetz stations are offering E-15 for .30 less a gal in NE Pa + i have run a few tanks in my 2011 fronty + dont bother to track mpgs as being retired i drive only as needed, very little. also been blending their flex fuel in my 2001 TT looking to see less knock on my VAG scanner! that said there is so much untruths allowed these days as outright LIES by the medical + food industry so IMO $$$$$ runs everything!!

Im pretty sure that running e-15 in an e-10 car with 02 sensors and fuel trims won't hurt anything, exept for fuel lines and seals.

Back