E-ZPass transponders

You can switch it from car to car if both cars are registered. If you switch it to an unregistered car it won´t work. I think they are doing that because it is cheaper. Makes perfect sense. Just get two stickers if you have 2 cars. Still cheaper than the little box.
not true. One is allowed to use the tag in a rental car. The toll authorities say the above, and also, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADD THE RENTAL CAR’s REGISTRATION ONTO YOUR ACCOUNT.

1. It’s already added to some account
2. If you were able to add it you could get tons of charges from other renters

Reactions: hrv
not true. One is allowed to use the tag in a rental car. The toll authorities say the above, and also, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADD THE RENTAL CAR’s REGISTRATION ONTO YOUR ACCOUNT.

1. It’s already added to some account
2. If you were able to add it you could get tons of charges from other renters
I don´t see the provision for that in my account. But even if that is so, they must have a way to know it is a rental, maybe by the plate? I can´t see where you can just give it to a friend or use it in an unregistered non-rental car. Maybe they don´t care. But I don´t see that anywhere in my account.

I don´t see the provision for that in my account. But even if that is so, they must have a way to know it is a rental, maybe by the plate? I can´t see where you can just give it to a friend or use it in an unregistered non-rental car. Maybe they don´t care. But I don´t see that anywhere in my account.

btw there was some scary story in upstate NY, where they went from toll booths to automated tolling by plate (where gantrys are installed to read tags and plates). Due to the misreads, some people racked up bills plus fines to the tune of $1,000+ in a month, over a $1 per trip toll, and all they were doing was going to work. They became exasperated trying to fight the NYS Thruway. This was always a "fear" when I use a tag in a rental car. Plus, rental cars often tack on an administrative fee per rental period. Say you have a $1 toll. You rent the car for 3-7 days. Could be $11 etc. for that. Which is why I've always used my own tag on a rental....

can't find the original articles but found this one

I did go over that bridge with a rental, and didn't see any charges for almost 4 weeks. And the way I'm wired, I was worried.

Do they necessarily go in sequence, when it comes to ser#'s (same agency)?

Here's why I ask. I got 2 new ones in 2023. One of them, has a ser# lower than a tag that was issued to us in 2015. They tend to last 10 years.

Could the one with the low ser# have been sitting on a shelf for 10 years?

p.s. I have two that were issued 2013 that no longer work. Have been meaning to return them.
The one with the low SN is probably a turn-in that got refurb/new battery and re-issued.
I swapped one out a couple years ago, got 9 years out of it, probably have 3 or 4 that will die this year. I hate that there is no indication the battery went dead, 90% of the tolls I go through have no visual indication that you paid the toll.

The one with the low SN is probably a turn-in that got refurb/new battery and re-issued.
I swapped one out a couple years ago, got 9 years out of it, probably have 3 or 4 that will die this year. I hate that there is no indication the battery went dead, 90% of the tolls I go through have no visual indication that you paid the toll.
I guess now with automated tolling more scenarios where no acknowledgment of tolls paid. But PA was particularly annoying where with regular toll booths no indication at all.

It matters when without E-ZPass the rate is cash. Before they could have said no difference, no read means we charge your account by plate.

This happens so often that New York has a mid tier rate for it. Why not give discounted rate upon plate match.

The transponder has changed. Today, I finally returned two from 2015 that no longer work. To my dismay, they are wider. The real estate is crowded with the dash cam already. I'd rather have narrower, and thicker, but nobody asked me lol

I had asked about getting a 2023 tag, that had a lower ser# than one from years ago....at least this one must be new :)

btw I have a million scenarios (well a few) that I can think of when misread. Especially since NY charges more for a registered plate with E-ZPass not read (mid-tier). At the service center, a man was arguing vehemently about stacked $50 violations that he has been assessed (sounded like maybe he was not truthful)....

Comparison

ezpass tag.jpg

I hate that there is no indication the battery went dead, 90% of the tolls I go through have no visual indication that you paid the toll.
I only realized mine was dead (or dying) when I started looking at the online transactions and seeing that my charges weren't showing up until three-four weeks later, instead of same-day like they normally were. I don't know what their procedure is, maybe someone goes through countless hours of film footage to match up plate numbers with transponder accounts, or what, but they never dinged me for an unpaid toll. A new transponder got everything back to functioning normally.

Back