Dry January

I have in the past for 6 months or longer Lots of heavy drinkers in my family history
I am in control.. or not drinking.
if I felt like I was overindulging.. ie more than a fifth of liquor in a month. (or the equiv added together with beer and wine)
still less than one a day.

Anyone considering a Dry January? It's worth considering if you think you might have over indulged during the holidays.

Article in the news said if you can't do a Dry January maybe go for a Damp January.

Try giving up drinking for a month, you might just find that drinking is overrated.
What a joke . If you want to stop do on your own when ready. If you can’t maybe consider help available out there …

Trying again this year. Started a few weeks ago, stuff came up, tried again, yet another lousy week. Been almost another week, but less desirous to return. Then again, work starts tomorrow, so all the desire may return. Remains to be seen if I make the month.

Last year I made it through Jan and Feb but just didn’t feel like life was that much better. Fair amount has changed since then.

I used to drink a little more than I do now, but not much. Working in a facility that deals with drunk people being a-holes on a daily basis has pretty much killed it for me for good.

I do enjoy an occasional Ace Pineapple cider from time to time, but that's about it. I've had a 6 pack in the fridge now for a month and have only had 2 of them.

Pretty dry to begin either. A beer every ten days to two weeks, a glass of wine maybe once a month. A tablespoon of rum over my ice cream once a month. Even if I were lusting after alcohol I'd moderate my intake because I don't care for the fluid retention that comes with it. I know a few people who just can't stop once they have any alcohol.

I usually drink about once a week or so usually only on the weekends. It’s good as long as you don’t become addicted. I drink for the taste because I like the taste of most beers and cocktails. I’m trying to help my friend from becoming one as he is drinking daily and won’t listen. I finally got him to quit smoking so now I’m trying to get him to cut back drinking. It’s too the point where he is begging me for money for his habit so I tell him no then his neighbor goes and gets it for him. I’ll try to get him to try something like this.

I do a Dry-Uary every year. It's nice to do a reset, detox and prove to myself I can still do it. Also makes me feel better drinking in moderation without question or guilt for the rest of the year.

I made it through all the months of 2023, 2022, 2021……! I’m not a prude, my wife always has a nice stock of wine but I’ve just never cared for the taste of any alcoholic drinks. 🤷‍♂️

I'm doing dry January, and February, and....

I'm 50 years old, and nearly drank myself to death in my 40s, ending up hospitalized multiple times with pancreatitis. Eventually I had enough misery and over the course of a year, I stopped drinking liquor, then stopped drinking alcohol completely. I don't want to revisit that dark period ever again.

Last edited:
I've partied pretty hard most of my life. As I've gotten older, less and less. I drink a high-end bourbon now and then but not often. I LOVE good IPA's but have really cut back over the last two years...like a lot! I remain a "Jesus Juice" lover! Love my reds and a few whites. But alcohol has really been in the back seat for a while now.

Last night ended up at a good steak house (my queen was sick and home) with some good friends. Skipped the bourbon and split a high-end Chianti with my old lady's sister. Went well with blue crab, creamed spinach, and a filet mignion. Got home by 9pm to tend to the sick and weary with a smile!

Back