driving shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Wrestleing shoes work great as driveing shoes and so do old school Chuck Taylor's!!!

I second the Chuck Taylors!
cheers.gif

Quote:

I never gave much thought to driving shoes, I prefer to drive in whatever I am wearing when I have to go somewhere.

Exactly. These are what I "drove" today on the way to the beach - kept my feet nice and warm before and after surfing...

Womens%20Classic%20Short%20Ugg%20Boot-image.jpg

*quick Ugg rant*
I've been wearing these since the 80's, then Oprah had to go and talk about them and now they're fashionable for mom's and celebs to walk their dog in.
mad.gif

Surfstar, those boots remind me of the Mouse Boots that I used to wear when going ice fishing when I still lived in frosty New England.
wink.gif

I have a pair of these in a different color scheme and will probably pick up another pair pretty soon here...great all-around shoes with a nice rounded heel and a nimble feel on the pedals.

1733-258734-p.jpg

So do those wrestling shoes have soft soles?

I figure the muscles in my feet subconsciously are more stressed out with soft soles, keeping pressure on those tiny pedals.

Would love to try an older car with the long accellerator with the hinge on the floorboard... but they sent them away when they interfered with high heels...

Quote:

I have a pair of these in a different color scheme and will probably pick up another pair pretty soon here...great all-around shoes with a nice rounded heel and a nimble feel on the pedals.

1733-258734-p.jpg

I have the same thing only in black mid top called Monacos, I believe. They do not make them anymore. East Bay carries many "lifestyle" non flameproof driving shoes (adidas, Puma,Reebok, etc.), which are still more comfortable than, and priced similar to, the old autocrossers' standby wrestling shoes.

they are Adidas Racer Low, you can find that same colorway on www.zappos.com (with free shipping right now, I think) in addition to lots of other combos that they have...definitely some of my favorite shoes!!

Throughout the '90s I was driving with Karhu running shoes. They had a rolled wrap-around heel and a smooth but not slippery sole. Alas, Karhu isn't easily found in stores here.

What about driving gloves? I've had a very light pair of Italian driving gloves (peccary skin) with punched vents for years. Allows much better grip on the wheel than bare hands. In cold weather I use a pair of soft, unlined deerskin work gloves.

Quote:

Throughout the '90s I was driving with Karhu running shoes. They had a rolled wrap-around heel and a smooth but not slippery sole. Alas, Karhu isn't easily found in stores here.

What about driving gloves? I've had a very light pair of Italian driving gloves (peccary skin) with punched vents for years. Allows much better grip on the wheel than bare hands. In cold weather I use a pair of soft, unlined deerskin work gloves.

The ONLY place I've ever seen Karhus is in the Craft (cycling, running, X-C skiing, triathalon clothing/accessories) catalog. I always thought that they were the only ones allowed to bring them into this country. They look like GREAT shoes, but I'm a little put off by their color combos/choices.

As far as driving gloves go; I have an aftermarket Sparco suede covered steering wheel, so I use their suede faced gloves for the perfect grip and protection of the wheel (from being "matted" by skin oils/sweat). In winter, I use a Thinsulate/polar fleece lined, suede faced glove from Remington (actually a shooting glove), or Woolrich.

John Browning hit it - wrestling shoes.

10 years ago my wife bought me a pair of well-regarded racing shoes, but the sole, while thin, was stiff. By luck I ran across some wrestling shoes at a place going out of business - bought two pair for about $10, and the first pair are still fine after 100+ track days. Very flexible and excellent pedal feel. NOT good on rough crushed stone,, etc, however!

Quote:

John Browning hit it - wrestling shoes.

10 years ago my wife bought me a pair of well-regarded racing shoes, but the sole, while thin, was stiff. By luck I ran across some wrestling shoes at a place going out of business - bought two pair for about $10, and the first pair are still fine after 100+ track days. Very flexible and excellent pedal feel. NOT good on rough crushed stone,, etc, however!

Ahem...

Quote:

Re: driving shoes [Re: Anduril]
#868244 - 04/07/07 04:31 PM

What a lot of guys who autocross, but don't need flame retardant shoes buy is wrestling shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back