Downsides of an exotic daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by avacado11
After driving my Maserati Ghibli as a daily for a few weeks I found it alittle too "in your face" and grabs too much attention. Great for a Friday or weekend cruise, but annoying when i actually have to do something.

Does anybody else on here who owns something exotic feel the same way? I feel like corvettes, M4s, 911s can be driven around more discreetly because people either see them a lot or they see a common badge and don't think twice. I can only how bad it'd be driving around in a bright green Lamborghini.

You didn't even think about this, when this 'obvious' eye-grabber was purchased?
Surely you jest! You wanted the attention then and now that it's gotten increased looks - due to increased driving habits, you have found the end of the rainbow. That end-of-the-rainbow was not as you expected - was it?..... meaning, no pot of gold was sitting there.

Enjoy your eye-popping ride and minimalize your peripheral views that show the human race staring at you. Otherwise, keep it parked more often..... or sell it.

That title had me thinking "What downside could there be to an exotic daily?"

Any way, I see high end cars every day on the way to work.
Most I think, "dang that's cool" if they are following traffic patterns and flowing.
Some though, weaving through traffic, loud exhausts, sudden acceleration and braking... well those become an extension of the loose nut behind the wheel and ain't so cool.

I cannot and will not be able to afford an exotic car anytime soon, but I did purchase an extremely expensive dog recently. It's rare. It attracts an insane amount of attention. It's basically a solid white Husky. Samoyed. I enjoyed the attention at first, but not since yesterday at a July 4th festival. I am tiring of the "Thank Yous" after compliments, answering the same age, breed, name, background questions, and requests to pet. I had at least 50 separate groups of people approach me about the dog yesterday. This is no exotic car, but the attention is similar. I can understand how attention from strangers can get exhausting. I do however enjoy the attention from a distance. People are looking at my fast car/fancy dog as I drive/walk away.

9C36F493-7FA7-4711-85FE-904C33D770A5.jpeg

Last edited:
When I'm at a stop light with a true car I find myself looking at it's wheels , brakes and tires . I'm not looking at the person driving it . I have a wife and I'm not looking for a boyfriend .

Think of it as a shopping cart 🧲magnet. Then along come the Beverly Hillbillies "not the funny ones" and park their welfare trashmobile in that impossibly tiny space next to you. Little Junior(who ain't little) has to bail .... or that wind boosted hill assisted shopping cart the Clampets left behind earlier.
I wouldn't own a decent car and park anywhere near the public
15.gif

Originally Posted by Voleak
I didn't realize a Maserati Ghibli was an exotic car. I see it as a high performance European sedan, not unlike the performance sedans models from BMW, Audi, MBZ, even Volvo.

All nice cars, but exotics?

Exotic brand, not exotic car lol. People hear Maserati and probably the only thing that comes to mind Is that they have something to do with Ferrari. The sheer width of the ghibli makes it stand out from every car on the road, so either way people are looking. My car is silver and blends in with a group of cars, but anyone who looks twice will notice

Originally Posted by Ws6
I never viewed Maserati as exotic because they are so plain. There is a Levante at work that I didn't even notice was a Maserati until I'd seen it half a dozen times and actually read the name on it. It looked like a mid 2000's Hyundai product or something that I wasn't familiar with. We have a lot of truly exotic looking vehicles where I live, and while I see them get glances, they never pull a crowd. Some areas though, a Corvette will pull a massive group. Yes, it would get old and annoy me after a short while to daily something that made my commute take longer because of gawkers. Also, people tend to swerve subconsciously into exotics. Ever notice that in traffic? Yeah. Meh.

I think it depends on location. I know up in central NY Bmw M3s, Nissan 370Zs stick out. But in central AR u see Corvettes, 370zs all day long.

Maseratis are not common in CNY. Honestly I've only seen a handful in the past 5 years. But DFW or NYC, they're littered everywhere.

Originally Posted by Voleak
I didn't realize a Maserati Ghibli was an exotic car. I see it as a high performance European sedan, not unlike the performance sedans models from BMW, Audi, MBZ, even Volvo.

All nice cars, but exotics?

Exotic brand, not exotic car lol. People hear Maserati and probably the only thing that comes to mind Is that they have something to do with Ferrari. The sheer width of the ghibli makes it stand out from every car on the road, so either way people are looking. My car is silver and blends in with a group of cars, but anyone who looks twice will notice

Originally Posted by Ws6
I never viewed Maserati as exotic because they are so plain. There is a Levante at work that I didn't even notice was a Maserati until I'd seen it half a dozen times and actually read the name on it. It looked like a mid 2000's Hyundai product or something that I wasn't familiar with. We have a lot of truly exotic looking vehicles where I live, and while I see them get glances, they never pull a crowd. Some areas though, a Corvette will pull a massive group. Yes, it would get old and annoy me after a short while to daily something that made my commute take longer because of gawkers. Also, people tend to swerve subconsciously into exotics. Ever notice that in traffic? Yeah. Meh.

I think it depends on location. I know up in central NY Bmw M3s, Nissan 370Zs stick out. But in central AR u see Corvettes, 370zs all day long.

Maseratis are not common in CNY. Honestly I've only seen a handful in the past 5 years. But DFW or NYC, they're littered everywhere.

Very true on location. Lots of lambo here...no Ferrari. Odd.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
So what is your motivation, exactly?

To drive something fast and swoopy? Any Corvette would do fine.

To drive a good handling car? Pretty hard to beat a Miata.

Something interesting and historic? What about a 240Z?

If you want to make a splash by driving an exotic, don't complain about the supposedly unwanted attention.

To have a fast luxury cruiser. BMW and Mercedes were getting boring. Wanted something different that other people don't have. But never put 2 together and realized attention is not always good.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I cannot and will not be able to afford an exotic car anytime soon, but I did purchase an extremely expensive dog recently. It's rare. It attracts an insane amount of attention. It's basically a solid white Husky. Samoyed. I enjoyed the attention at first, but not since yesterday at a July 4th festival. I am tiring of the "Thank Yous" after compliments, answering the same age, breed, name, background questions, and requests to pet. I had at least 50 separate groups of people approach me about the dog yesterday. This is no exotic car, but the attention is similar. I can understand how attention from strangers can get exhausting. I do however enjoy the attention from a distance. People are looking at my fast car/fancy dog as I drive/walk away.

Beautiful dog!

Originally Posted by atikovi
After driving my Maserati Ghibli as a daily for a few weeks I found it alittle too "in your face" and grabs too much attention. Great for a Friday or weekend cruise, but annoying when i actually have to do something.

Maybe because I live in an area where you see Maserati's many times a day, you seem to be worried too much about what other people think of you. If that is the case, you need the type of help not available at an online forum.

You don't see Maseratis at all around here. There's maybe 3 total running around in my city. So I'm not going crazy here lol

But we all assume it's always good attention. What about attracting thieves? Been at the same house for 15+ years. Had BMW's, had Mercedes in my driveway. Get a Maserati and then had 2 random guys come walking up asking if I need my house cleaned. Apparently they were only going to homes with nice cars trying to scope out the homes...

For this exercise let's define 'exotic' as unusual, rare, e.g. Maserati, but not supercar, but including Kia OK?
laugh.gif

My Lotus gets too much attention, both good and bad. Mostly good, lots of conversations when fueling, coffee shop, etc., but entirely too much boy racer attention. I'm an adult and I have no interest in your juvenile stupidity on a public road...even if you just passed me on the breakdown lane giving me a thumbs down... Unfortunately, I also get the random unprovoked 'salutes' and people clearly making eye contact then pulling out in front of you, but you learn to recognize and anticipate these situations.

Funny, the Porsche's tend not to elicit these response...even the newer ones I've spent seat time in.

I will say, I avoid driving my toys to work..... Just never saw any upside.

Last edited:
Some wealthy folks like the attention of driving an exotic car.

Down here you see exotic vehicles daily.... in Humpy Dumpty, Iowa not so much.

I am guessing local makes a difference especially Arkansas. There are a few around my area(small coastal New England towns) of your specific sedan. I don't think they draw a ton of attention like a super car.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Depends on where you live.

X2.....Not unusual to see exotics in DFW.

Bingo!
20 years ago on the prairies, I was viewed as quite the spectacle in my totally stock 86 325es (especially on the university campus, even profs were envious).

These days now that I have the current BMW on the road, I get more respect than ever (from other, newer BMW's as well as non BMW's).
In a city known for road rage and cutting people off (which I often get in the Lexus), people seem to give me more space than I'm used to.

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
My idea of Exotic in Western Kentucky is my 65 VW Beetle or my 1975 Orange VW Westfalia. They draw lots of attention. Can't hardly get gas without getting our picture taken.

I consider my 71 MGB an exotic. When I drop the top and cruise around the kids holler, cool car. I get a kick out of that.

Anyone can write a check, but you have to have skills to keep an old MGB around.

If you want to impress kids, be approachable. Too many modern cars are stand-offish with their narrow slit windows and bland styling. Swoopy steel with plastic accent pieces. Barf.

In the old days (pre NSX) an exotic car was a cammed out thing that would foul plugs and overheat when stuck in city traffic, and its low riding suspension would get caught on a speed bump. Glad yours at least starts and runs well.

I've learned that what is considered an exotic car varies with the individual. An exotic car to me would be a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani, McLaren, etc.

I have a fairly rare sportscar which attracts way too much attention, most of it negative, and it's not because of how I drive it. If there are other motorists around, I do my best to be a model citizen. At gas stations, or wherever we might stop, occasionally someone will make a positive comment, while others can be downright nasty.

Illiciting comments one way or another is not why it was bought. It's just a fun car to drive.

.... Does anybody else on here who owns something exotic feel the same way? ...

Is this a slow day troll post?

it's a $65-75K car brand new, this afternoon.

I'm sure it's a fine car, but this is mid priced, garden variety, Euro to me. This is now exotic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back