Downsides of an exotic daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Sorry Ws6 for having a different opinion.

You're right, of course, and it won't happen again.

Opinions should be supported with observations and data.

Let's talk about how badly Jaguar is doing.....
whistle.gif

The "luxury sedan" market is SWAMPED.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
X2.....Not unusual to see exotics in DFW.

Same. They're so common, they become anything but exotic in my book.....

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Idk... I'd rather be in an Aston Martin or Bentley while stuck in traffic over say a Toyota Camry.

In bumper-to-bumper traffic, I just want what's reliable.
I know a lot of people that make over $200,000 a year and drive Camrys/Accords/Lexuses (Lexii?)
I can't speak to the "reliability" of a Maserati or Aston Martin, etc..... But it's nice to have a car that just WORKS.

Originally Posted by Ws6
One is a Maserati. One is a half decade old Kia.

A higher-end Kia is near the luxury level of cars that cost 2X, 3X, sometimes 4X as much.
After a while - you're just paying for a name - - NOT a "better made car"

You should pay attention. Kias trump Maseratis EVERY time- that's where true automotive happiness can be found.

I think it really depends on where you live. Here in Houston, my NSX gets some attention, but really only from car folks. Ferraris, Lamborghini, Rolls, etc are common here; I've seen two Lamborghini Urus in the neighborhood in recent weeks. When I road trip the NSX, though, in much of the country it gets a huge amount of attention. Many people have just never seen one except in pictures. It's always a positive experience, though.

Also interesting, I've had more people talk to me about my SC400 than my NSX. This makes no sense to me, really, but it is what it is!

Last edited:
Everything to me these days look like a KIA. The only time an exotic or uncommon brand sticks out to me is if it's a vintage Countach or something.

Originally Posted by robertcope
I think it really depends on where you live. Here in Houston, my NSX gets some attention, but really only from car folks. Ferraris, Lamborghini, Rolls, etc are common here; I've seen two Lamborghini Urus in the neighborhood in recent weeks. When I road trip the NSX, though, in much of the country it gets a huge amount of attention. Many people have just never seen one except in pictures. It's always a positive experience, though.

Also interesting, I've had more people talk to me about my SC400 than my NSX. This makes no sense to me, really, but it is what it is!

Same with my 300ZX and 3000GT. The Japanese exotics were rare even when they were bran new. Everywhere I went I got attention and they promoted conversation,from Japanese sports car enthusiasts. The Japanese cars back then were very unique. My analogy would to to compare a 300ZX to a 370Z,an NSX to a Civis Si,an RX8 to an RX7 twin turbo,etc. The latest versions of the Japanese sports cars don't stand out like the vintage exotic ones. They're everywhere and everyone seems to own them.

BITOG- the only site where a discussion about daily driving exotics massively devolves into a "Kias are the best!" echo chamber.

Originally Posted by avacado11
After driving my Maserati Ghibli as a daily for a few weeks I found it alittle too "in your face" and grabs too much attention. Great for a Friday or weekend cruise, but annoying when i actually have to do something.

Maybe because I live in an area where you see Maserati's many times a day, you seem to be worried too much about what other people think of you. If that is the case, you need the type of help not available at an online forum.

My idea of Exotic in Western Kentucky is my 65 VW Beetle or my 1975 Orange VW Westfalia. They draw lots of attention. Can't hardly get gas without getting our picture taken.

I usually drive my R55 to work; any car I drive risks getting keyed-or worse-by an unhappy "customer." Back in the ‘90s I did use my E24 M6 as my daily, but after a year I bought a 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe(manual) to use as a work beater.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
My idea of Exotic in Western Kentucky is my 65 VW Beetle or my 1975 Orange VW Westfalia. They draw lots of attention. Can't hardly get gas without getting our picture taken.

I consider my 71 MGB an exotic. When I drop the top and cruise around the kids holler, cool car. I get a kick out of that.

Another downside is the maintenance. $1500-2000 for front brakes gets old quick when they only last 20k miles. Tires every 15, timing belts and clutches can barely go twice that if its equipped with a belt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Opinions should be supported with observations and data.

BMW looks pedestrian with it's generic. convex door sculpting and handle cutouts on crease
used on 7 of 10 mid size sedans today - along with my cheap VW Jetta

As ubiquitous as the over played, over-borrowed Hexagon perimeter grille.

Maserati styling wins in my notebook.

Note to OP: Maserati is not an Exotic - it's a Premium Fiat.

Can buy low mileage QP's with the very nice and reliable Ferrari V8 for around 30K up here.

A good value and a better car if you could get a stick - like the GT - and loose 700 lbs of fat.

I always listen for the wonderful exhaust tone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I'm kind of surprised you get that much attention in a sedan, unless it's that bright blue or red. They aren't nearly as audacious as the old Quattroportes were.

Agreed. Makes zero sense.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One is a Maserati. One is a half decade old Kia.
. It has the "Euro Buick" look!

Last edited:
On a Maserati

Brake Pads are same cost as any vanilla sedan, The Ferrari engine in a QP is as reliable as the day is long and is a wet timing system so no T belt changes at 40 or 60 K.

I researched a 10 y.o. QP last fall not realising they could be had for under 30k with 40k miles.

Decided to pas due to high mass a with automatic.

Rather Have a Bentley Arnage red label for 10 G more with the fat Turbocharged Rolls Royce V8

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I always get a laugh out of exotics in bumper to bumper traffic. What a waste of a car!
lol.gif

Or the $120,000 Porsche waiting in a long line of cars to pick up kids from school.

Personally I don't feel the need to have a $40,000 piece of equipment to bring home groceries and buzz around town. Fiesta is plenty big for an around town car for an empty nester.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
BITOG- the only site where a discussion about daily driving exotics massively devolves into a "Kias are the best!" echo chamber.
Indeed. ...

My Clubman is a fun commuter car, but if a Mini was my only car it would have to be a JCW at a minimum.

Originally Posted by Audios
Another downside is the maintenance. $1500-2000 for front brakes gets old quick when they only last 20k miles. Tires every 15, timing belts and clutches can barely go twice that if its equipped with a belt.

To be fair, most sporty vehicles, if you use a proper tire and actually drive them a bit will go through the tires every 15-20K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Burt
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I always get a laugh out of exotics in bumper to bumper traffic. What a waste of a car!
lol.gif

Or the $120,000 Porsche waiting in a long line of cars to pick up kids from school.

Personally I don't feel the need to have a $40,000 piece of equipment to bring home groceries and buzz around town. Fiesta is plenty big for an around town car for an empty nester.

This is what ultimately led to me getting rid of my C6 Z06. The interior did not functionally differ from that of my 1995 Trans Am that I had in highschool, and when I was stuck in traffic, or not committing what was probably a felony, it was no better than the Trans Am except for ego, which I don't really care enough about to spend that kind of money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back