Dollar General API SN oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mcgophers
Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Did anyone else notice the lack of the starburst on the front of the 10W-30?

Yes, I noticed that first thing .... it says it is SN/GF-5, wonder why there is no API Starburst?

This is the first thing I noticed. I believe it cost quite a bit to get the API starburst on the label. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be caught dead using an oil without the starburst. Why take a chance on a mystery oil? There's absolutley no reason to. Oil changes are such a miniscule expense in the total cost of owning a vehicle.

For what it's worth, Havoline High Mileage doesn't have the API starburst either and it is not resource-conserving, even in thinner grades, despite it having the donut for SN. Granted, it was enough to persuade me to choose conventional over the high mileage in that brand the last time I used that brand.

Havoline, being a Chevron product is certainly an exception. It's not an off brand off unknown origins. How long has HHM been around? Maybe they're still trying to attain API credentials for that product line?

A perfectly good oil at a decent price for the markets DG operates in.
This is top-off oil, since most of those who buy it aren't doing oil changes and are perfectly aware that the Walmart five or six miles away has ST, MS and QSAD at killer prices.
Poor people aren't stupid or ignorant. They can't afford to be.
The old API SF oil was fine for use in topping off an old beater.
Whether this oil would be any better for the purpose is debatable.
This API SN oil is no better and no worse than any other oil carrying the same cert.
Let's all stop the nonsense posts.

I wouldn't consider a discount, dollar store brand oil to be "top shelf." I'm sure it's adequate for most vehicles, but would you really use it in your brand new Corvette or Platinum F-150, hypothetically?

^^^ I understood what you were saying in your posts, maximus ... your posts, and everyone else's, were fine. You didn't post anything wrong.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I wouldn't consider a discount, dollar store brand oil to be "top shelf." I'm sure it's adequate for most vehicles, but would you really use it in your brand new Corvette or Platinum F-150, hypothetically?

Corvette needs a Dexos1 oil. Need to use Mobil 1 for track use. Platinum F-150's have the same engines as all other F-150s have, so you could use conventional oils, DG don't have the Ford Specs on them.

NH73 said:
maximus said:
I wouldn't consider a discount, dollar store brand oil to be "top shelf."

Well silly me. I misread TOP OFF oil to be TOP SHELF. I guess im getting old. I need to get off the forum for the evening.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the lack of the starburst on the front of the 10W-30?

I did, but the API mark with resource conserving is there on the back. I don't think the Starburst is mandatory when SN/GF-5 is licensed, but I'm not in the mood to check, either.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wow Dollar General...A dollar store has oil for $2.85 a quart.. I wonder if they will change their name to the Two Eighty Five store?

Dollar General hasn't been a "dollar store" for a while.

Dollar Tree on the other hand, is.

IDK
about that, last time I was there stuff was lot was more than $1. These stores became big in the 90's and they actually had good major brand oils for $1 at one point, I think the DT near me had Havoline. The Rite Aid did, and they had 5 for $5 sales on Havoline...

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The little embossed "how to pour" icon makes me think this is Warren.

*Edit - Don't let the name fool you. Dollar General is really no different than Wal Mart in the sense that both companies fiercely compete in retail and some studies have shown that DG actually costs MORE on average.

Yes they're competing mostly with smaller stores selling smaller sizes of product and many locations that are easy to access compared to WM. It seems like there are DGs in every town on the map these days. Of course WM is fighting back by putting in their Neighborhood Market stores which have had mixed success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back