A lubricant with a label API SN/CF vs API SN - Whats the difference?

A lubricant with a label API SN/CF vs API SN - Whats the difference?

Similarly - why are some CF/SF and SF/CF - which comes first? Is there a difference in performance?

I know the API performance levels - just the combinations are tricky to me

CF is some kind of diesel engine lubricant rating. The difference between the two , I can not say

I know what CF is.. let me share an example.

theres a shell API SN/CF and also a shell API SN - why the differentiation? if we are buying it for a gasoline engine application. Why even mention the CF performance if it doesnt matter?

next i was also asking about the sequence - one product claims API CF/SF vs another product claiming API SF/CF - is there a difference in the product performance?

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
The differentiation is as I mentioned, two different API licenses. One for spark ignition, one for compression ignition. However, no one can obtain a new API CF license and I'm not sure how that would be very useful to the compression ignition crowd.

What does your engine need and what's the basis for your question? No one should require both a C and an S license.

Oils with both S and C ratings can be used in gasoline and diesel engines, but oils with a S rating only cannot be used in diesel engines.

And oils that are primarily blended for use in diesels will likely show the C rating first, and the gasoline rating second.

I'd love to have a Toyota HiLux 4Door Diesel. Coming to North America...never. Was gonna be all over Mahindra, if anyone remembers those shenanigans.

Back