Dog dies after travelling in overhead compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dishdude
They don't belong on the flight unless it's a service animal.

Then why did they let her board the plane in the first place?

That's my personal opinion as a frequent flier, unfortunately I don't set airline policy.

I've seen (afterwards) & heard overhead compartment items impact the compartment walls pretty hard when the landing has harsh braking + reverse thruster g-forces. Could have hit the compartment wall hard enough to break its neck, or been violently impacted by another item in the same compartment.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
They need to restrict these comfort animals and pets on flights, and what idiot flight attendant tells you to put a dog in the overhead bin?

Was the dog a comfort animal? Sounds like United allows dogs to be crated in the cabin, for a fee, and if it can be fit under the seat.

The dog was barking and the stewardess made a bad choice. I've never seen a seal on an overhead compartment and they're never tightly shut. Seems like it would be unlikely to be an O2 issue.

They don't belong on the flight unless it's a service animal.

What about emotional support peacocks?

Poor pup. The dog's owner is at fault, too. They will probably get a huge settlement from the airline.

Being told to do that to a puppy of mine after being allowed to board would mean my exit. No flight is worth treating a dog like that. To me, it would be like being asked to put a toddler up there.

10 month old French bulldog, breed which is known to suffer breathing and heatstroke difficulties. (not that flight attendants need to know breed specifics)
Owners paid to take the dog on the plane, were allowed to take the dog on the plane.

As we are fully aware, flight attendants word is gospel once you are on their turf.

United have taken full responsibility, stating that animals should not be put in overhead lockers.

Yes, they will pay handsomely for their stuff-up...and it IS theirs. Surely there's been SOME kind of training of staff in the last months/years ?

As to whether the attendent keeps the job through being in a union, here's James Reason's culpability model.

p2000954ag304001.jpg

and an easy click by click walkthrough.

http://www.drillscience.com/dps/pass.shtml#.WqjQdyiuztR

We have one … yes they snort and snore … not just a tragic and emotional loss … not a cheap dog breed.

I have millions of miles on planes and have seen many, many pets … never did it myself … to each their own.

Majority of pets are far less annoying than babies or big mouth passengers … and nobody is banning them.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
They need to restrict these comfort animals and pets on flights, and what idiot flight attendant tells you to put a dog in the overhead bin?

I've never seen a seal on an overhead compartment and they're never tightly shut.

Probably too heavy. An adult Common seal must be topsides of 100kg, plus, as you say, they tend to be incontinent and smell strongly of fish. Cute though.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Being told to do that to a puppy of mine after being allowed to board would mean my exit. No flight is worth treating a dog like that. To me, it would be like being asked to put a toddler up there.

Equating a dog to a human child is just plain cockeyed thinking IMHO.
Kind of like the entitled dog owners who claim that their dogs bite because people don't act properly around them and feel that their dogs should run free no matter how aggressive they are to other people.
We had neighbors some time ago who acted like we were in the wrong for complaining about their dog coming into our yard and chasing our 5 year old and her friends around...we all have multi-acre lots so they had plenty of room to keep their dog occupied. They later came to a neighborhood party and said it was everybody else's fault that they "had to" put their dog to sleep, as almost everybody on the street had complained about it and they just didn't have time to put up a fence (even a buried wire) and/or train the dog. We were such bad neighbors!!!!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Equating a dog to a human child is just plain cockeyed thinking IMHO.

My point was that it was a cruel thing to do to a puppy. My dogs are family and I often prefer their company to that of other people. Most problems with dogs are real problems with their owners.

A dog owner let that happen?

It's either that, or you are kicked out of the plane and may possibly end up on terror watch list as well.

I hope this thread dies. That way I don't have to view the thread title under "Active Topics" and be saddened every time I see it.

Now it turns out they sent a dog to Japan on a 16 hour flight when it was only travelling domestic for an hour or two.

It's coming back in first class apparently.

What is up with United and it's employees?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Now it turns out they sent a dog to Japan on a 16 hour flight when it was only travelling domestic for an hour or two.

It's coming back in first class apparently.

What is up with United and it's employees?

I may be wrong, but I thought luggage handlers/loaders are airport employees, not airlines employees....

Hence my eternal problems with local ORD Terminal 5 landings.....

It also came out yesterday that the United employee gal who put the dog in the overhead compartment is claiming she didn't know there was a dog inside the bag. She was told there was a dog inside the carrier before she put it in the compartment, and then the dog was barking for two hours inside the compartment and nobody working for United (or passengers for that matter) stopped for a second and thought "What's that barking noise in the overhead compartment?". Whaaaat? ... is the world just dumbing down to no end?
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I would NOT want a streessed-out dog over my head.

Can you wear your rain hat in the passenger compartment, or would that look odd?

In any case, what a strange situation. Now, I know there's an investigation going on, but I'm not up on the policy for puppy autopsies. Has a cause of death been determined?

Now, don't get me wrong. I see absolutely zero need to put a dog in the overhead compartment, of all places, but I'm just wondering what went wrong that wouldn't have gone wrong in a pet carrier, for instance. I'd think they're not airtight, but I have no idea how warm it might get in there.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Only a fool would put a dog in the overhead storage bin.

I feel bad for the puppy.

Yes! It makes me wonder what kind of help they're hiring. Do they take a stupid test to get hired? [censored] would have frozen solid before I put my dog in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back