Does Tundra breaks have the same problem as Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
When I had a brake pad fall off a few years ago, it sure felt like no brakes. Took several pumps of the pedal to get braking back--luckily, it was just the pad material that fell off. But as I was going downhill and the pedal just kept going to the floor, it was... unnerving. It's now rare for me to let more than a year pass before checking several year old pads for issues. Plus I find in my climate the sliding surfaces need lubing anyhow.

So I'm not particularly enamored with dual circuit brakes. IMO they don't do their job. And it was an '04 VW with four disc brakes that I lost a pad on.

Couple years ago my Tundra decided to seize a caliper. Didn't lose brakes, if anything it was the opposite problem. Speaking of, on mine I found that the two pins that go through the caliper and hold the front pads in place were very chewed up. I bought some spares for the next time I lube up the brakes, or replace them, as I suspect those pins will be too rusty to reuse. I cleaned up the ones I had but it took several minutes with a file to knock down all the rust.

Are you not lubing those slide pins??? SIlglide silicone grease works well for me.

I have never had a pin seize up/rust that had a good rubber boot and silglide.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Gimme a brake...

KitKat-to-use-100-sustainable-cocoa-by-Q1-2016.jpg

Originally Posted By: CaptainFreon
I was told the GM master cylinders keep rear and front separate, so that you have at least TWO breaks working....Unlike Ford. Ford's design could have killed me once.
Ford and every other manufacturer (since 1976) keep the front and rear BRAKES separated within the master cylinder so whomever told you that Ford does not is wrong. Unless your vehicle was pre-1976 and even then some manufacturers had split systems in the late 1960s.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: supton
When I had a brake pad fall off a few years ago, it sure felt like no brakes. Took several pumps of the pedal to get braking back--luckily, it was just the pad material that fell off. But as I was going downhill and the pedal just kept going to the floor, it was... unnerving. It's now rare for me to let more than a year pass before checking several year old pads for issues. Plus I find in my climate the sliding surfaces need lubing anyhow.

So I'm not particularly enamored with dual circuit brakes. IMO they don't do their job. And it was an '04 VW with four disc brakes that I lost a pad on.

Couple years ago my Tundra decided to seize a caliper. Didn't lose brakes, if anything it was the opposite problem. Speaking of, on mine I found that the two pins that go through the caliper and hold the front pads in place were very chewed up. I bought some spares for the next time I lube up the brakes, or replace them, as I suspect those pins will be too rusty to reuse. I cleaned up the ones I had but it took several minutes with a file to knock down all the rust.

Are you not lubing those slide pins??? SIlglide silicone grease works well for me.

I have never had a pin seize up/rust that had a good rubber boot and silglide.

Wrong pins. I lube the sliding pins, been meaning to get some Silglide as the stuff I have sucks. But the Tundra has a pair of pins that go through the pads to hold them in place; they are retained by a spring of some sort. I found those to be awfully rusted when I pulled the pads, and had to file them down. See below, for the pins that go into the anti-squeal shim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back