Does motor oil and DOT 3 brake fluid mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: JAG
I didn’t realize Kreen has glycol ethers in it. I wonder how good of a gun bore cleaner brake fluid would be. Maybe that will be my next oddball experiment.

I can't comment about brake fluid but I can tell you Kroil makes for a very good bore cleaner, it works like a champ.

That stuff works well but smells terrible!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I didn’t realize Kreen has glycol ethers in it. I wonder how good of a gun bore cleaner brake fluid would be. Maybe that will be my next oddball experiment.

I can't comment about brake fluid but I can tell you Kroil makes for a very good bore cleaner, it works like a champ.

That stuff works well but smells terrible!

thumbsup2.gif
Yes it has a smell you certainly won't forget!

Thanks quint. Very interesting. Was it DOT 3 brake fluid?

Regular old DOT 3. Knowing me it was likely Meijer store brand or Supertech.

Originally Posted By: quint
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Don's some people add brake fluid to the engine if it's leaking bad?
27.gif
15.gif
57.gif

I wouldn't call myself brave.....willing to experiment maybe... but I have done this on two leakers and its worked both times.

My friend was the chief mechanic for a small local sprint car race team, and he added brake fluid to oil all the time and swore by it. He was a little nutty though. Actually still is.

About ten years ago my 1995 Toyota 4Runner was putting a quarter-sized oil stain on my driveway daily due to a bad rear main seal. My emotional commitment to this truck had long expired, so I added 3-4 oz. of brake fluid and within a week or so the leak completely stopped. I ended up keeping it and drove that truck almost daily, including a lot of towing, and it never leaked again until I traded it in a year or so later. The mom and pop dealer I traded it in to, sold it to a friend of theirs. I stopped in to that dealer about a year later looking at another car and I asked about that 4Runner and they said the guy they sold it to was still driving it.

Did it again a while back on a friends beater Camry that was leaving three or four quarter sized drops daily. It didn't stop completely but now it leaves 1-2 dime size drops. That car still gets driven daily to this day.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend anyone else do this, at least not to a car they care about.....

Well if it worked, it worked.

But a quarter must be an impractically large coin to have made that a reasonable gamble, say about the size of a hub-cap.

You must have very big pockets in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back