Does Mobil 1 0w40 REALLY clean?

Here's under the timing cover of my 100k Hyundai 2LT that has been on M1 0w40 most of it's life at the time. Can't say it did much for chain wear. The OE chain was off the shelf for the 2.4L NA motor, upgraded by Hyundai after a couple of years to address the wear issue.

cams-at-97k.jpg
wmcamswithstretchedchaintimingmarks.jpg

LOL, nope. I do not. I actually only prefer German cars and tools.
When it comes to appliance products, Samsung, LG, Toyota, Midea, who cares.
I knew you’d slip Toyota in on appliances …
Happy with Maytag myself 😷

A quart of ATF mixed in with a scheduled OCI will do some cleaning too.
No, as @MolaKule has covered in the past, there's nothing in ATF that makes it a cleaner. It has significantly less in the way of detergents/dispersants than engine oil, since it doesn't need to deal with combustion byproducts.

Pretty Snarky response from a guy who’s been a member on this forum for 10 days, When asking for assistance, it helps to be a little dutiful in your replies but to each his own….
Why are you trolling the site? A simple search on M1 website 0w40 yields this,

"....
Delivers excellent overall performance in modern engines
Mobil 1™ FS 0W-40 advanced full synthetic motor oil is engineered to deliver excellent all-around performance in gasoline and diesel engines (without Diesel Particulate Filters or DPFs) with the latest technological advancements. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 motor oil provides exceptional cleaning power and wear protection to keep your engine running like new in most driving conditions, from mild to extreme..."

The only question is how much and nobody can answer that.

I'm Old School and I've always had issues with those that walk-along on ice skating rings and tuck-in their sweaters - having arm lengths way-way-way too long.

Too bad this video doesn't show his suspected seven-colored Argyle Socks and brown Tassel Loafers.
There’s several gifs with this guy. It’s just his schtick.

IIRC, it stopped being true when they stopped using sperm whale oil in it.
In the 80’s I did watch my grandfather add a qt of atf to one of the ranch trucks to stop a ticking lifter. It did work. I’m curious if there were more detergents in that old atf.

In the 80’s I did watch my grandfather add a qt of atf to one of the ranch trucks to stop a ticking lifter. It did work. I’m curious if there were more detergents in that old atf.
Moratorium on whale oil was placed in 1986, so it's certainly possible he was using a formula that had that in it? Though it was being phased out before that.

Back