Does it bug you people taking their dogs shopping in stores?

Doesn't bother me at all. I always enjoyed seeing the Labs being trained as sight dogs at the local mall at opening time when it wasn't busy.
V. different than random folks and their random dogs. Had surgery a few weeks ago, always nice when they bring the therapy dogs by to visit at the hospital.

Doesn't bother me at all. I always enjoyed seeing the Labs being trained as sight dogs at the local mall at opening time when it wasn't busy.
Services animals are wildly different. Those animals are individuals selected based on certain traits and tendencies and then specially trained. That is why the owners will not allow you to touch them. Service animals are not the same situation as Mrs Real Housewife of Bumble County bringing her yeppie furr-baby to the store in her purse because “Biscuit doesn’t like being left at home.”

It doesn't bother me to see dogs...anywhere. It is a problem when the owners allows them to misbehave anywhere.

We always ask if Simba is allowed before we take him with us. We take Simba to a few places in town that allows him in. There's that unspoken rule that he's allowed as long as it doesn't become a problem. Once it's a problem it ruins it for everyone else, including other dogs. Common sense and respect for others, prevails.

It's not the dog that's the problem it's the owners.

V. different than random folks and their random dogs. Had surgery a few weeks ago, always nice when they bring the therapy dogs by to visit at the hospital.
Problem is everyone now has an untrained emotional support animal and there's not much anyone can do about it. Just be wary of where you step...:LOL:

At Home Depot or Tractor Supply sure. In Walmart and other grocery stores in the cart can't stand it. I love dogs but don't want to put food where your dog put his butt. Sure wish a manager would grow a pair and tell people it's not allowed but the policy is probably from corporate, don't upset anyone. Here people don't even bother to get the fake support animal harnesses, just walk in with them on a leash.
Regarding the stores you mentioned, it has nothing to do with the store Manager,
as it is a corporate decision as you mentioned.

The town I live in is very dog friendly by businesses. It is common to see water bowls placed on the sidewalks outside of businesses where people regularly walk their dogs. Most of the restaurants in town allow dogs on any of the outdoor dining areas although most will restrict the number of dogs to only five at one time. Most of the dogs are well trained and behaved but once in a while a dog will cause a fracas when it sees another dog and the owners will be asked to remove the dog.

I have no problem with people taking their dogs into stores as long as they are well behaved and under control. It's certainly better than leaving them in a vehicle with the window barely cracked and barking at everyone who walks by.

I have no problem with people taking their dogs into stores as long as they are well behaved and under control.
This is the problem us anti-dog-in-the-store people have.

You can't tell which dogs have normal behavior or what their owners consider to be normal. Also, some dogs are unpredictable and even "tame" breeds like goldens and labs have attacked people.

I would say that a good portion of dog owners don't spend the time or the money in formal training with their pup. It's not so much "dog" training but "owner" training.

"Why does my dog dig up the yard?"
"Because he can."

Looks like an English shepherd, a brilliant, underappreciated breed.

BTW, I never ask to pet a dog in a store. The handlers are likely trying to condition their dog to distractions, and giving the dog some attention may wind them up more than the handler might like. My walking by is distraction enough.

The thing being missed, at least to me it seems, is this isn't about how well behaved the dogs are or whether I or other like/don't like dogs, why are people taking any dog into a store? When did that become a thing or acceptable to do for any dogs beyond service animals (and not your Amazon "service animal" thing you put on your non-service animal haha)? I also support any business to make their own decisions and if they want dogs, cool, those that don't want to deal with that can avoid those businesses but I suspect many of these stores etc. don't actually allow pets but folks do it anyway (b/c the rules don't apply to your/your pet) which is crappy b/c the kid making $10/hour isn't going to go cause drama asking you to leave/follow the rules.

I’m old school, dogs belong outside, not inside.
I foster and train dogs as a hobby and I can always tell the ones that were "outside dogs" within the first few moments I get them. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of shelter dogs are "outside dogs"...really percolates the ol' pistachios doesn't it?🤔

Most breeds are not "outside dogs" livestock guardians and more 'primitive' less developed breeds are though. The majority need to be physically near their people at most times (we made them this way genetically) or they get neurotic and a bit feral. Some breeds this applies especially so with like shepherds, rotties, dobies etc.

The single biggest cause of behavioral problems with otherwise well taken care of ('trained' and not abused/neglected etc.) dogs is lack of socialization. You know that famous 'protective' instinct some breeds have? It is fear response NOT bravery. Scared dogs are dangerous dogs. Unsocialized dogs do not know how to filter actual threats so they think anything outside of their experience is a possible source of danger.

Socialization is not just having your dog around other dogs and people like at a dog park (probably the worst place you can socialize BTW) its new sights, sounds, smells, places and situations.

Smart dogs are hyper autists that if they could read and had opposable thumbs would make even the most BITOGY of BITOGERS level of tism pale in comparison.

I'm not some hippy leftoid vegan weirdo either. This stuff is known and taught by every serious trainer whether its for search and rescue, police and military or especially protection work.

Most people shouldn't have dogs

Back