Does fuel quality matter for DI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always tried to run only chevron (my fav gas station for some reason) or at least a top tier in my 2015 silverado thinking that extra 25 cents is doing me any good.

Does fuel quality really make any difference in a DI engine? I could start filling up at Loves, FlyingJ or somewhere like that for an everyday average 20 Cents a gal Less where i live.

THANKS Everyone!

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I have always tried to run only chevron (my fav gas station for some reason) or at least a top tier in my 2015 silverado thinking that extra 25 cents is doing me any good.

Does fuel quality really make any difference in a DI engine? I could start filling up at Loves, FlyingJ or somewhere like that for an everyday average 20 Cents a gal Less where i live.

THANKS Everyone!
my malibu is DI and I've used nothing but Quick Trip gas since the dealer filled my tank the day i bought it. My manual also says to use top tier gas. Its supposed to help fight against intake deposits.

Last edited:
I always use top tier and never use any fuel system cleaner. Do you have a Costco around? I usually fill up there, it's the lowest price around and TT.

Gasoline, IMHO is pretty much all the same within reason...I have used Bobby Joes stop and go gas to the big shiny stations with Shell's name ...never blew an engine, did not clog my engines,,, driving since 1960,,,don't let'em sell you the sizzle with words, but.....then again, I am an MMO fan...yes we all can get sucked into something, so ,,enjoy your gas...

Top Tier Gas for DI : Quick Trip , Shell , Exxon , Texico , BP , Costco , etc. If you belong to Costco it's the best quality / price point going ...

Not just quality of additives and the fuel itself, but also quality control.
In the UK there have been many cases of poor quality control with cheaper fuels (typically supermarket) that are very rare with branded fuels. Silicon and water in the fuel are the common issues.

I I hate to break everybody's bubble but around here this entire region gas comes from the fuel and one rack. The Rack has pipes marked mobile and other. The closest explanation I could get for why was that mobile at their own pipeline so I'm assuming they were avoiding paying whatever but essentially at least in upstate and northern New York and I'm sure most places the gas you get is all the same. It's delivered by the same track to all of it for gas stations in the middle of the night and I watched this go on for 26 years so I don't see it changing anytime soon . Gas is gas is gas.
we had a direct injected Hyundai for three years it runs on anything always the same no problem. The only problem you're fine with direct injection applies to all engines of that sort and they'll need this valve cleaned around every 50,000 miles or when you notice your power dropping somewhat. Oh you got to do is go to Walmart AutoZone or pick any auto parts store and get a can of injection cleaner spray it down into the engine via the intake and you're done it's all you can do. YouTube has several explanations of how to do this and it's very simple

I just buy TT fuel because, why not? All the name-brand stations, plus QT, around here are TT. Since it costs very little (less than a penny per gallon) to make "normal" fuel Top Tier there is no price penalty. My 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv (DI) has 77,000 miles on the clock and is not showing any signs of problems. I do use PEA cleaner (Gumout or Chevron) about three times a year due to all the good press it has gotten here, but that's all the "special" maintenance it gets.

I use Costco gas 90% of the time mainly because of price but I know it's top tier, no issues. If using chevron gas makes u sleep better, than I say stick w it.

I always run Top Tier gas in my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. I buy from Costco 98% of the time.

Here is what my owner's manual says regarding Top Tier:

Fuel Additives
HYUNDAI recommends that you use good quality gasolines treated with detergent additives such as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, which help prevent deposit formation in the engine. These gasolines will help the engine run cleaner and enhance per- formance of the Emission Control System. For more information on TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, please go to the website (www.top- tiergas.com)
For customers who do not use TOP Tier Detergent Gasoline regularly, and have problems starting their vehicle or the engine does not run smoothly, additives that you can buy separately may be added to the gasoline.
If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive added to the fuel tank at every 7,500mile or every engine oil change is recommended. Additives are avail- able from your authorized HYUNDAI dealer along with information on how to use them. Do not mix other addi- tives.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I use Costco gas 90% of the time mainly because of price but I know it's top tier, no issues. If using chevron gas makes u sleep better, than I say stick w it.

Costco IS Top Tier. Their gas has long qualified as TT, but they had been avoiding the fees associated with the program by not having the certification. The actual cost to make TT fuel is fractional cents worth of additional additives. I wouldn't be surprised if other gasolines were equivalent while forgoing the actual certification.

I use top.tier and use techron Every 3000 miles. Really good stuff. Scotty Kilmer told me that techron is good at maintaining your engine clean if it was clean in the first place.

Shell fuel has the highest detergency, I like to throw a full bottle of SI1 in a tank of fuel once a year, approximately 2 or 3 tanks of fuel before the emissions test that forms part of UK roadworthness testing.

In 2011 a Cambelt and tensioner turned into a head rebuild, tearing it down I was amazed by how clean everything looked. Ill try and find some pictures..

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
My manual also says to use top tier gas.

This is what I would follow. I would imagine having the injectors exposed to the combustion environment is REALLY hard on them, as opposed to:

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Gasoline, IMHO is pretty much all the same within reason.. ...never blew an engine, did not clog my engines,,, driving since 1960,,,

CourierDriver, you are comparing regular gas engines to what is essentially a "modified" diesel engine. There's no comparison. Drive another 50 years on a DIRECT injected gas engine, then come back and share your experiences with us.

Now, this is just supposition on my part, but I would think that the MUCH higher pressure going through DI injectors would result in them staying pretty clean, especially using TT fuel. But, I have a very limited sample size (My Mazda, GF's Lexus, and son's Hyundai). All of these cars have in excess of 75,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
My manual also says to use top tier gas.

This is what I would follow. I would imagine having the injectors exposed to the combustion environment is REALLY hard on them, as opposed to:

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Gasoline, IMHO is pretty much all the same within reason.. ...never blew an engine, did not clog my engines,,, driving since 1960,,,

CourierDriver, you are comparing regular gas engines to what is essentially a "modified" diesel engine. There's no comparison. Drive another 50 years on a DIRECT injected gas engine, then come back and share your experiences with us.

I was thinking something similar...it's more the application than "gas is gas". Being that manufacturers don't import DI cars into countries where fuel quality is comparatively poor but DO import MPFI versions, I think it's safe to say that fuel quality matters. It may not matter to that degree in this country, but it's also safe to say that you'll be better served by a busy station that maintains their tanks and is certified Top Tier versus a Quik E Mart that pumps less than 10K gallons a month and whose pumps are down 3-4 days every month with no Top Tier designation. "Fuel quality" might mean more than what's loaded into the tanker truck.

I have a DI from Lexus and have done a ton of research on this, so here we go:

1) Yes it does matter to an extent
2) You very may well have a CBU problem no matter how anal you are about your gas and maintenance
3) Install an oil catch can
4) Use a low noack oil...there are plenty of threads regarding this
5) Have your EGR and PVC check and or replaced if there's build up
6) Italian tune ups are suggested
7) Take your car on long trips where its running up to temp for long periods of time
8) Run Gumout or Redline through about once or twice per OCI
9) Remember, you can have your car walnut shell-blasted if it does happen...its not THAT expensive
10) Enjoy your car and don't worry about it. This comes from someone very OCD about his ride

I I hate to break everybody's bubble but around here this entire region gas comes from the fuel and one rack. The Rack has pipes marked mobile and other. The closest explanation I could get for why was that mobile at their own pipeline so I'm assuming they were avoiding paying whatever but essentially at least in upstate and northern New York and I'm sure most places the gas you get is all the same. It's delivered by the same track to all of it for gas stations in the middle of the night and I watched this go on for 26 years so I don't see it changing anytime soon . Gas is gas is gas.
we had a direct injected Hyundai for three years it runs on anything always the same no problem. The only problem you're fine with direct injection applies to all engines of that sort and they'll need this valve cleaned around every 50,000 miles or when you notice your power dropping somewhat. Oh you got to do is go to Walmart AutoZone or pick any auto parts store and get a can of injection cleaner spray it down into the engine via the intake and you're done it's all you can do. YouTube has several explanations of how to do this and it's very simple [video:google][/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back