Dodge Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi just bought a 2004 Dodge truck /Hemi. I would like to put a frantz bypass filter on it.

Does anyone know where the oil sender is on these
motors so that I could tie in? Do you think I could run the return line into the oil filler cap.

I did this with my diesel volkswagen Jetta and
had good results. It's kinda a pain to drill a
hole in the oil pan when the oil filler cap is right there.

Thanks
Bron32

First of all
welcome.gif

I too have just leased a new 04 Dodge Ram Quadcab with the Hemi, with the intention of purchasing it at lease end (assuming it's a good truck). I took delivery on Feb 28/04 and only have about 1300 Kms on it to date. My intentions are as follows:

Factory fill and filter: change at 750 kms (Penzoil 5W-30 dino and Napa Silver Filter)
At 2000 kms: repeat the above
At 5000 kms: repeat the above
At 10000 kms: repeat the above
At 15000 kms: repeat the above only switching to Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) and SDF42 filter
At 25000 kms: repeat the above
At 35000 kms: repeat the above and using 1 year or ~30000 kms for the oil change interval with a filter change and top off at 6 months into the oci.

Please feel free to comment and let me know if you think I'm crazy. If I decide to do UOA on all the above I will gladly post the results.

Bron, you sound like a do-it-yourselfer, I would recommend at least breaking in your new truck (15000 Kms min.) prior to installing the by-pass filter. Just a word of caution, and maybe something to look for, when I did my first oil change at 750 Kms, I noticed quite a bit of condensation on the inside of the oil fill cap and in that large plastic fill area under it. Enough that I had to wipe it down with a rag. I am not sure at this point where it came from as this truck doesn't do any short trips. Maybe the cover was not on properly from the factory or something. I am definately keeping an eye out for this at my next oil change. I doubt it would be, but if this is common for this engine, I would not put the by-pass return line in this area as this would only add/introduce moisture in your oil supply.

Enjoy the new truck.
cheers.gif

Bron i feel just the opposite of mr Green, i would install the filter as soon as possible so it can catch as much of the smaller particles as it can. then after the breaking in period switch over to a good syn oil

Mr Hemi:)

I dont have a hemi, but have put Amsoil bypass kits on a few cars.

I would buy the Factory Service Manual. Look for the oil pressure sending unit and put a fitting there and T it for the feed line. I have 5.9 in my Durango and a 4.7 in my Grand Cherokee. I ran the return line to the filler caps and put fitting thru the caps. The oil pressre sensor is on the intake on the 5.9 and down neat the pan on the 4.7.

Mike

Bron32

The Frantz will get the job done. It is a very effective filter so it will need to be changed every 2,000 miles. You can return the oil to the fill cap if there is no crankcase ventilation lines near that can suck oil up into the intake. It was common back when all cars had bypass filters to return the oil into the fill neck. 55 I believe the 53 Caddy returned the oil into the fill neck. You can also use a Perma-Cool or other sandwich adapter. I recently put a 181 Ford 3/4-16 thread Perma-Cool adapter on a Dodge 360 truck. I get mine from www.jegs.com. If you prefer to return the oil to the cap instead of the oil system you can drill the adapter with extra holes to eliminate any resistance, put a plug in one port and run an oil line to the Frantz from the other port. You can go longer between changing the Frantz but your oil will get dirty and need to be changed. I base everything on getting a near zero wear rate and eliminating routine oil drains. If you dont plan to keep the truck forever you can go longer between filter changes.
I changed my Frantz on my Subaru every Fourth of July and added a qt of Mobil 1. That was about every 12,000 miles. I had to change the oil an average of every 60,000 miles in 240,000. There are a lot of choices. The engine was in excellent condition at 240.000 except for leaks. Never had the heads off but changed the front seal a couple of times.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back