Dodge 3.3L V6 Caravan - Burning Oil - WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

A friend asked me to replace his valve stem seals in one of those a few years back because he was burning oil. I removed the valve covers to begin work and noticed the rear valve cover had a massive leak. I fixed it, put the engine all back together and drove it. No more lost oil. I called him back to pick it up and he was infuriated that I didn't do the stem seals. It still doesn't leak oil to this day. We don't talk anymore.

.....you should have just lied to him and told him you did it, he'd be happy, you'd be richer

Quote:

ya, i'm not a dodge/jeep/chrysler fan myself either. in fact, my dad has never bought a new car in his life until this stupid van... and he only regrets it. it has been problem after problem from day 1. steering rack, transmission, etc. always problems.

IMHO - the parts vendors just couldn't produce decent components for what DCX was willing to spend. Hopefully, the new owners will correct this situation ASAP.

One of the Chrysler van engines had a common issue with valve guides and seals. Ive seen some pretty bad burners over the last few years all due to guides and seals.

The early 90's 3.0 Mitsubishi engines had the valve guide/seal problems. I haven't heard about like issues with the domestic produced engines (3.3/3.8). Most of the guide problems were gone by the 93 model year (IIRC) although I think valve seal issues lingered on beyond that.

I have a 1992 Caravan 3.3 w/132,000 miles.I think as NYEngineer said,It,s a rear valve cover leak. It is very difficult to determine this,with a transverse mini-van 3.3L. Do you jack the engine to replace the rear vc gasket?

hey guys, just checking back in about this.

since i last posted in this thread i purchased a new PCV valve for the van, and finally tracked down somebody to buy Auto-Rx off of in Canada.

i have not yet gotten the Auto-Rx or installed the PCV, but i will likely be doing both this week. so i'll post again later to let you know if any of that has helped.

i'm almost 100% positive it's not a leak, because at the rate that i'm losing oil, there would HAVE to be an oil puddle under the car... or at the very least, a trickle. but there's nothing. the engine is consuming oil. and at a very high rate.

any other ideas?

If it's at a very high rate then you shall seriously look into stuck oil control rings.

Try AutoRx and see if that helps. If not, I'm afraid some drastic action required.

thanks bernard. i will have a look at those TSB's.

another update for everyone: i had the check engine light scanned. seems my caravan is throwing 2 different codes:

P0455 and P0442

both mean the same thing: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak

yay, looks like the van will need to have an EVAP system leak test done.

oh, and i have the Auto-Rx on the way. it will be going in very soon. how do you guys suggest i use it? i was thinking of this procedure:

1. change filter and dump in 1 bottle of rx
2. run for 1500 miles
3. dump oil. change filter. fill new dino oil with another bottle of rx.
4. run for 1500 miles again.
5. dump again.
6. new filter and back to synthetic oil, with a small maintenance dose of rx.

hopefully that will clean up the motor.

What I would do for your ARX treatment:

1.) Change filter & add Auto-RX (full bottle)
2.) Run it for 1500 miles.
3.) Change oil & filter
4.) Run it for 2000 miles.
5.) Change oil & filter & add Auto-RX and repeat process one more time.
6.) Switch to synthetic.

Good luck.

thanks thirdeye. i forgot about the rinsing stage.

i'm going to start my caravan on that process ASAP. i'll keep you guys updated.

anyone got any info on those EVAP codes my car is throwing? any experience?

you know what Winston, stop defending a car that has been problematic since day 1. i don't know a VW and never have, but i do know that this van is burning WAAAAY too much oil. so don't be a wise guy about it.

this thread is about finding a solution to my problem, not defending american cars versus imports. because the facts are... imports are better. if domestics were better, they would sell more. but they don't. so the numbers have spoken. live with it. at least my family is doing it's part to support the north american economy. this caravan is the ONLY car we have ever purchased from new. EVER. and it really has been a mechanical disappointment overall.

so lets get 1 things straight. i don't have anything against chrysler. but i do know this van has been causing all sorts of trouble since day 1. and right now, the problem is with burning oil and throwing random check engine codes. so thats what my focus is.

re: 0442, and 0455 --my dakota was throwing that code,0442, at random times. ends up being the gas cap. take it off, and rotate it on about 3 turns. worked for me. remove the pos. battery cable, turn the ignition key to start position for about 30 seconds, and check engine light will be cleared. 0455, (or 0442) may mean a loose or cracked vacuum line in the evap. system. you can check for codes yourself on chrysler products. turn the ignition key on/off, on/ off, then on,and leave it on. on your model year,there should be a digital readout on the odometer. good luck.

Get a new gas cap for the EVAP codes. 90% of the time ..that's it. Happened on almost every jeep in the extended fleet. It happened for my son's 2000 Cherokee and my wife's 99 TJ. I'm figuring that they either made slightly better gas caps for my 02 ..or it's due for failure. You'll get both codes ..the minor and the major with the bad cap.

thanks guys. i'm going to order a new gas cap from the dealership. see if that helps. if not, i guess it's gotta go in for a smoke machine test on the EVAP system. and that should cost a pretty penny, i'm sure.

In the case of my jeeps it didn't appear to be a gasket issue. It appeared to be some failure of the vent/pressure relief system that's a fail safe to prevent the gas tank from billowing or collapsing.

it's just something that i tried, and seems to have helped. maybe placebo effect -- who knows ? benny - if you're able, try checking the vacuum lines and connections yourself, for loose fits or cracked hoses. it's easy, and you'll save a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back