Who makes a decent shower head?

Handheld. Doesn't need to be fancy, or have a million spray patterns, but it should fundamentally function well. Prefer a pivoting mount, which the newfangled magnetic ones seem to discourage.

Past practice has been to buy a WaterPik, at moderate price. They tend to run a few years, until whatever internal moving parts there are freeze up, and the spray pattern deteriorates, or leaks develop, as the current one has done.

The "big" plumbing fixture names have moved into that market segment as well, as well as a myriad of no-names online.

Wondering if they're any better, just better branded, or have "lifetime" warranties that are actually useful.

My in-laws have done a few renovations/new builds with Hansgrohe shower components. I really like the styling and they seem to function well. A search of their warranty terms seems to indicate that consumer purchasers of their products are covered for as long as they own the home in which the product was originally installed - so not lifetime in the sense that you can't take it with you and reinstall it elsewhere while maintaining warranty coverage, but pretty darn close.

I haven't experienced long-term performance of their products, as my in-laws are now in their fourth house in less than a decade. Also, the water where they live is very soft. If you've got hard water where you live and don't have a whole-system softener, that may be something to consider. Obviously the ROI doesn't work if we're just talking about a shower head every few years, but that's not the only thing getting crusty from hard water - if in fact that's an issue for you.

Imo the fancier the shower head, the worse they are. I have the old all metal stainless steel version of this one and love it! I can't tell if this one is metal or plastic:

Handheld. Doesn't need to be fancy, or have a million spray patterns, but it should fundamentally function well. Prefer a pivoting mount, which the newfangled magnetic ones seem to discourage.

Past practice has been to buy a WaterPik, at moderate price. They tend to run a few years, until whatever internal moving parts there are freeze up, and the spray pattern deteriorates, or leaks develop, as the current one has done.

The "big" plumbing fixture names have moved into that market segment as well, as well as a myriad of no-names online.

Wondering if they're any better, just better branded, or have "lifetime" warranties that are actually useful.
DELTA, Pollenex, MOEN, Price Pfister, Kohler

If you are looking to save water get the High Sierra shower head either the 1.5gpm or the 1.8gpm,,,,they just came out with a 1.25 gpm one also. I have the 1.5 and it works great and am saving water over the standard 2.5 gpm shower heads....

How much money do you want to spend?
For a decent unit, $75 is a good starting point.
Delta, Kohler, and Moen would be some that I would look at first. Compare flow rates.

I like the Commando 450.
E517375A-55FD-4BE9-9965-FF12F236990C.jpeg

My original 40+ y.o. Shower Massage made of metal is still going strong in its 7th home. Wish they still made the original metal one. I have a shower wanting one. I bought the plastic one for the late wife in about 2005. It worked OK and it didn't corrode around the screw head.

Imo the fancier the shower head, the worse they are. I have the old all metal stainless steel version of this one and love it! I can't tell if this one is metal or plastic:

It’s probably metal. I have the same head except it has a button for shutoff. I paid about $5 for mine.

It’s not handheld though.

It’s probably metal. I have the same head except it has a button for shutoff. I paid about $5 for mine.

It’s not handheld though.
Yep, you probably have the same one I have. Small metal one with the on/off button. Bought mine at Walmart for probably $5 too (y) I probably bought mine in the early 2000s.

The only shower head in our bathroom is a portable Grohe shower head on a Hansgrohe slide (the best of both worlds).

In our guest room shower we have a portable Moen shower head on a Moen slide (solid stuff).

These units both work very well and have the advantage of simplicity. You have a single shower head that is adjustable for height and direction for a basic shower, or you can take it off the slide and use the same shower head on your lower body or to spray down the shower walls or floor. It works great for bathing the family dog too.

Moen. They stand behind what they make.

Back