Do you keep separate accounts being married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
You're right, money is not everything.

But with a 50% divorce rate, some people have money in the back of their mind.

I was taken to the cleaners by my ex-wife and her bf, she was skimming $$ way before she filed for div.

So instead of early retirement, now I am starting over.

Hindsight is like using synthetic oil, I would do a pre-nuptial and keep my $$ separate in a little jar.

Remember, pre-nuptials only matter if she ever leaves you ;-)

Remember the line from shawshank redemption, about trusting the wife?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
My wife and I throw everything in the same pot and always have. Many people I know keep separate savings or checking accounts or split bills a certain way.
What is your method?

zzman,

Do you make more or less than your spouse?

Originally Posted By: stockrex
My wife and I throw everything in the same pot and always have. Many people I know keep separate savings or checking accounts or split bills a certain way.
What is your method?

zzman,

Way more. Always have.
Mine pays all big bills. Hers pretty much covers weekly expenses like gas and groceries, etc.

What is your method?

zzman,

Way more. Always have.
Mine pays all big bills. Hers pretty much covers weekly expenses like gas and groceries, etc.

Bro, trust should be earned never given.

You need to go to your local family courts on a Friday morning and sit through cattle call session.

It does not matter how you split it, at the end of the day, in MI, she owns 50% of everything, it does not matter if it in your account or hers.

The only way you could have protected yourself if you had a pre-nup.
Also, if you get a gift, or an inheritance, keep that separate, that is yours.

Wow you guys are taking this "marriage" and "we are one" thing a bit too far
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

Financially speaking, married couples are one. When it comes down to it, doesn't matter what account the money is in. In the end this all comes down to how people manage money.

I, like some others, have a joint account for bills, and separate accounts for individual spending (even though not married). Just helps keep track of things. In the end money in any of the accounts is shared when/if needed.

smile.gif

Funny, I was thinking the opposite. With the divorce rate so high nowadays, perhaps more people should focus on the "we are one" philosophy.

Regardless, the best method is whatever works for you and your spouse.

I have my money, she has hers. When bill time rolls around, usually twice a month, she writes me a check for half and I pay the bills out of my account. Financially, we are more like roommates than husband and wife. All my friends think its weird but its worked for us for 12 years. We are both good with budgeting, and rarely argue about money.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
smile.gif

Funny, I was thinking the opposite. With the divorce rate so high nowadays, perhaps more people should focus on the "we are one" philosophy.

Regardless, the best method is whatever works for you and your spouse.

Some partners take we are one too far and end up divorced and/or unhappy.

works for us:
* one main account for bills
* separate account for each person. We spend over $500 we chat with partner at least
* Family vacation, I go on on yearly vacation (ski trip Utah), herself solo (Europe/South & Central America) mainly sitting in Cafe watching life somewhere else)
* Assisting partner wherever possible even if chore or duty is "theirs"
* NEVER using bedroom activity as way of manipulating partner or punishing them

Should have, and will if I ever get married again. Wife No. 2 embezzled more than her share from the bank account. (I use that word precisely. Embezzlement means that the criminal was in a position of trust -- so the bank robber is not an embezzler, but the bank manager is.)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Should have, and will if I ever get married again. Wife No. 2 embezzled more than her share from the bank account. (I use that word precisely. Embezzlement means that the criminal was in a position of trust -- so the bank robber is not an embezzler, but the bank manager is.)

That's a big issue with a lot of people. One person spends and the other saves and/or doesn't spend as much. It's like keeping the honest people honest IMO. I'm a saver (only spend money well planned out) and my better half likes to spend. I like separate accounts so there's no argument about money (the biggest cause of divorce).

What is your method?

zzman,

Way more. Always have.

Bro, trust should be earned never given.

You need to go to your local family courts on a Friday morning and sit through cattle call session.

It does not matter how you split it, at the end of the day, in MI, she owns 50% of everything, it does not matter if it in your account or hers.

The only way you could have protected yourself if you had a pre-nup.
Also, if you get a gift, or an inheritance, keep that separate, that is yours.

Cash in a safe deposit box also works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back