Do you ever use a gear selection other than D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and R. Just kidding. When I used to drive an automatic, I’d go one selection lower than D only to hold the gear. I’d let the transmission downshift when I mash the accelerator then move the selector down. I read that this is better for older transmissions.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I live in mountains that requires "2" for about 2 miles and "1" for about 3 miles or you have no brakes by the bottom of the grade! I never use the overdrive off setting.

Sounds crazy. Do people go off the road often due to brake failure/fade?

Yes, I use all the options. Just for fun usually, but also for descending mountains. Also for ascending or towing heavy loads, the AT will lock the TC in 3rd, 4th and 5th if selected manually, otherwise it will stay unlocked in each gear under high throttle input. Monitoring trans temp, it shoots up pretty quickly unlocked under load.

Only in the snow. It is imperative to keep power to wheels around corners, and not coast or use brakes or you slide. So I will use a gear that requires higher rpm, driving the wheels. if needed to slow down, engine decompression is an advantage, not needing to hit brakes to slow down.

No snow then no shifting, just in drive. I miss my manuals.

I use OD all the time except when I'm towing the travel trailer, then I put it in D.
If I wanted to shift my own gears I would drive stick.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
What a dumb question. Everyone uses PNR everyday.

Just like the other 95% of his questions.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
What a dumb question. Everyone uses PNR everyday.

Just like the other 95% of his questions.

OH, Come on guys, where is your sense of humour?

WE can't get GHT drama anymore so we deal with what we can....

I've been using the manumatic feature in the 2011 Regal, as the 2.4L engine is a little underpowered for climbing bridges and the like. It's second nature for me now to click over to manumatic as I get on the highway, leave the car in 5th as I accelerate up the Miss. River bridge, and shift to 6th (top gear) as I reach 60, or the high point of the bridge, whichever comes first.

Before this, however, I usually left my lever in D all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back