Do you enjoy or do your own yard work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy it. Also I can't afford to pay someone to do it. I didn't enjoy it years back but after moving to a new state and a new house with neighbors that would be on you back with a HOA I learned to do my lawn. I now have the greenest lawn in the neighborhood. Even the lawn care companies don't stop by to ask me if I would like thier service. They can see I don't need it. Secret to mowing. Mow every 5 days and you don't have to use a grass catcher. Just mulch it back into the ground and actually it allows you to mow faster. You don't have to stop and empty out the grass.

I enjoy doing my own yard work. Benefits of getting sunshine and fresh air is overwhelming. Also hang my clothes out on the wash lines when its feasible also.

Dale

I do my own yardwork and get a feeling of satisfaction from it sometimes, but mostly I see it as a nuisance.
Our soil quality is mediocre at best and I am rather sparing in the use of water and fertilizer, so the lawn rarely looks especially good. There is a good belt of mature trees between our house and the road and we also had shrubs and trees planted in a sloped no man's land immediately adjacent to said road, so it's not really hurting the neighbors' eyes if our front lawn is spotty. We are on a well so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to pump all kinds of water for the lawn, and it also doesn't make sense to me to use a lot of fertilizer if I'm not watering much.
We have about 3.5 acres, but at least 2/3 of that is behind a brook and also fairly steep. I used to like to spend a lot of time in the woods helping dead trees fall down and keeping the brook from being choked by branches, but I don't have as much energy for that anymore and I wasn't really getting anything especially useful done, anyway. Nature generally takes pretty good care of itself. Around the brook and in the woods were also wonderful places to play and explore with my daughter when she was little and I have fond memories of all the time we spent back there...I think I still have the walkie-talkie set we used to stay in touch as we wandered around. I think most of her friends thought that stuff was really boring and I can't say that I see any of my neighbors out in their woods...
I found an interesting pile of rocks about 6 feet long and 3 feet wide in a secluded spot in my woods some time ago and have had it in mind to maybe bring a shovel back someday...although I might regret disturbing what I find if there is actually anything there. Might be hard to locate now, could be covered by leaves or have a fallen tree on top of it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, I do enjoy my own yard work. I love being outside.

Me too
thumbsup2.gif
It's both physical and mental therapy. I suffer when I'm stuck inside.

Turned our double lot lawn into a nice vegetable garden about a decade ago. Do not miss lawn mowing one bit.

My wife and I both enjoy working in the yard. However, with my allergies it is difficult so we have a gardener. I do enjoy watering the lawn even though we have sprinklers. I find watering the lawn with the garden hose to be very relaxing.

Necessary evil for having a yard the kids can play on. My wife has put fruit trees and shrubs all over parts of it so mowing is a PITA... Nothing is too big for the brush hog to eat yet though....
27.gif

I do like mowing hay, a 9' mower used twice a year is the way to go, and then someone comes and pays you for the clippings!
banana2.gif

One of the many things I don’t miss about my house in Houston. Here in AZ I don’t have a yard at all. Most I do is yearly preemptive spray for bugs and termites and an occasional splash of weed killer to take of the ones that come up between the rocks.
Don’t miss the mowing, edging, trimming, blowing, raking, bagging and sweating at all.

Never mowed a lawn in my life. Growing up it was mostly my older brothers/dad who did the yardwork.
As I got older, it was just something that I was never responsible for.

Now that I'm on my own, I don't think I'm missing out on anything. If I want fresh air and to accomplish something physically to save some $$, I do basic auto maint.

I have 2 wooded/semi rural acres at my South FL home. Things grow at warp speed down here, so it's a real hassle to keep after it. I could spend a day per week working at keeping it nice. Unfortunately, between the modest yard work I'm willing to do, and car repairs, 100% of my free time is consumed. Quite frankly, that's stupid.

I love it. I was born on a farm. I still remember being young and going out in the field with our scythes and cutting the grass by hand to make hay (we didn't have enough money for a tractor), taking the cows out in the field to pasture, planting and working the huge family garden, working with the crops we were growing... it was a lot of hard work but I loved it. I was in [censored] good shape back then... wish I could still do it haha
grin.gif
. Now I live in a suburb, and still have my own garden and fruit trees etc. I just feel lost if I go to the city...

It is good exercise. I laugh at people who will pay to go to a gym, and then also pay people to do their mowing/lawn maintenance.

My folks are still out on the farm... 8 acres of grass... full of trees, and a 2 acre lake. I get *plenty* of exercise out there. Mowing, trimming trees, cutting brush around the lake, swimming...
wink.gif
(hey, swimming is exercise too).

But I understand, some people literally can't stand the smell of freshly cut grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back