Do u consider yourself a disciplined person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm disciplined meaning I'm a saver. I have things that I want, but I save up until I can afford them and buy them in a way that will not have a significant negative impact on my finances. This way I'm still fairly happy, but not in an insensible way. I think many people are fooled by the "you can have whatever you want right now if you just make payments" tactics.

Collateral:
after saving enough, you don't even blink anymore when a serious event happen (AC replacement, new appliances, etc etc)

Originally Posted By: Silk
I don't see how being ''disciplined'' would make you a good investor...I don't know if I am disciplined, but I do like a routine and pace myself when working, but I have never been interested in money. Not in good place for retirement because of that, it just comes down to not being interested in chasing money.

Who cares about chasing money? I never took a job "for the money"... That said, not being interested in money, or how it works, or how to plan for your future within the framework of your job, national programs, etc. is a sure path to failure. That's like saying, "I have never been interested in health" as a justification to ignore your diet, fail to exercise, neglect to see a doctor, and then wonder why you're in poor health.

You don't have to make a lot to be able to plan for your future. But you have to want to plan. You have to have enough interest in your future to educate yourself.

Don't chase money, that's a sure path to unhappiness, but don't be ignorant about it, that's an equally sure path to unhappiness...

I suppose that if one took the same approach to medicine as you espouse towards money, one wouldn't need to worry about retirement planning at all...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Reading posts about saving for retirement and investing etc made me think about the discipline it takes to do so. Much like following a budget or staying slim by exercising/diet.

I am more a "fly by the seat of my pants" guy. Hence why I am way overweight!

I think that the answer to your question, "Do you consider yourself a disciplined person" depends on the context - in what aspect of life are we considering? Exercise? Financial habits? Daily life habits?

Oil changes?

I think you would find a lot of folks on this forum who are quite disciplined about their vehicle maintenance, but quite undisciplined in other aspects of their life. Reflecting on my personal experience - quite disciplined in some areas, less so in others...if I were more disciplined in how I spend my free time, I wouldn't be posting so much on BITOG!

Cheers,
Astro

Discipline is good, the sooner you have it the better... especially as a young adult.

Chasing money is bad, enjoying life due to wise financial decisions is good. Money reduces stress and provides for a more comfortable life.

Who wants to be working at 70 years old ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back