Do people still use non phone GPS machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of professional OTR truckers use GPS in their rigs. The type they use has larger screens 7" to 10" and have important truck data like weight limits, nearest truck stop and bridge heights. The average auto driver and general public can do well with a phone app, but still it is nice to have the larger screen that a GPS offers Also most UBER and LYFT drivers that I have seen still like a GPS.

I prefer my Garmin to any cell phone I've had. Better resolution, better speaker, better everything. Cell is only used in emergency. With a modern vehicle with a 8"+ screen why would anyone want to fumble with a tiny cell phone. Ed

Lots of outdoor enthusiasts out here still use gps units, especially the atv/ohv crowd. But when I'm out and about, I use a tablet. I like the bigger screen, the ability to take pics, and have my service manual and music with me. I bought a used tablet off ebay that holds a 32 gig sd card, and then I downloaded the street maps, the topographical maps, and the aerial photography maps of my entire state onto it. Backcountry Navigator is a $10 app that runs and tranfers my route logs and waypoint information. And I can beam my data and track logs to anybody else's phone or tablet.
My tablet does have a phone in it, but I've never hooked it up to service. It runs entirely on the gps receiver and sd storage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Two of my units are about 10 years old. I tried to update the maps, but the new maps are more data and the old units just don't have the capacity for upgrading.

If your still interested in upgrading the old units, PM me for info.

Yes.

I host many international guests that I loan my auto to. Many simply dont have data plans or data is horrifically expensive.

The GPS unit with traffic receiver always works and is far better than the lexus built in map.

UD

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Your GPS on on your phone works regardless of cell service or not.

You download the maps when on wifi, not while on cell coverage (at least if you understand what you are doing), so using data to download is a non-issue.

Its not rocket science, but change, I know...

I drive in areas with no cell coverage (or out of country). With downloaded data, I still get directions, just not with traffic updates.

Nice thought but unless I am in mc’ds I don’t have WiFi at home

Can’t expect much phone/internet for $5 a month can you?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I use an auto steer system on a tractor on occasion. It’s RTK and sub-inch accuracy. Pretty amazing.

John Deere? Their Auto track is very good.

Another no-data GPS for Android phones is Sygic. I've had it for years. Not ad supported, but there is an option to buy a lifetime license for something like 70 dollars although they have sales a few times per year. I think the entire continental US and Canada maps are around 6-7gb, and the app has the option to install the maps to an external SD card for phones that have that choice (sadly seems not many new ones do)

I use my Apple Iphone and Verizon. My son is involved in 2 different sports and travels over a lot of country. hasn't let me down yet.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: deven
Driven many times thru the great smokey mountains with my phone GPS and never ever lost signal.

Great Smokey Mountains national park is 817 square miles and has exactly ZERO cell phone towers in it. I've been in that park for days without any cell phone coverage at all. If your phone doesn't have maps downloaded to it, you are not using your phone to navigate in that park. I cant think of anywhere east of the Mississippi that has less cell phone coverage than maybe parts of the great northern forest (Maine?) or Everglades National Park.

Well if you say so. I'm just letting you know what my experience has been.

Not sure if there's still a market. I still use a Garmin Nuvi I picked up for $15 at a garage sale. Screen is larger than a phone which I don't own.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i was cleaning out some old stuff and stumbled on to my old tom tom. have not used it in years as my phone is my main GPS now. Seeing that almost everyone has a smart phone now with gps, is there even still a market for tom tom and garmins?

It's like asking why anyone has a screwdriver when multi-tools exist?

The point is: the single-purpose tool will often do that one job much better than a multi-purpose tool.

That's true in screws...and navigation.

My wife's Garmin uses no data, works off the grid (where cellphones do a lousy job, downloaded data or not), is more precise than a phone, offers lane assist (for exits) and has a larger, brighter, screen. It does navigation far better than a phone. It has traffic data, too.

But if all I have is a phone, I can use it to navigate. Similarly, if all I have is a Leatherman (and I own several), then I can tighten a screw. But I still prefer the screwdriver if I have a choice in tools...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
It's like asking why anyone has a screwdriver when multi-tools exist?

The point is: the single-purpose tool will often do that one job much better than a multi-purpose tool.

This. That's still why I wear a watch and use a paper map. Personally, I just hate cell phones with a passion, but that's another matter.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

My wife's Garmin uses no data, works off the grid (where cellphones do a lousy job, downloaded data or not), is more precise than a phone, offers lane assist (for exits) and has a larger, brighter, screen. It does navigation far better than a phone. It has traffic data, too.

Astro14,

do you remember the Garmin model?
also, what lane assist feature means?

Thank you

I spend a certain amount of time travelling with groups of Taiwanese, all of whom use GPS-enabled smartphones for navigation, but are very reluctant to stray off the beaten track, perhaps because, without (and sometimes with) artificial aids, they can literally get lost driving around the block.

It has to be seen to be believed.

Not sure why it is, but perhaps living on a very small island in a group-minded culture has something to do with it.

I wonder if widespread GPS adoption will similarly degrade the sense of direction in other cultures?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Astro14,

Thank you

Lane assist will tell you which lane you need to be in for an exit or turn so you are not suddenly needing to cross 3 lanes to get where you need to (like when it shows to go left, but the exit is on the right then goes over).

Here is a random example of one I found online:

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Astro14,
Thank you

Lane assist will tell you which lane you need to be in for an exit or turn so you are not suddenly needing to cross 3 lanes to get where you need to (like when it shows to go left, but the exit is on the right then goes over).
Here is a random example of one I found online:

Thank you.

And yes, ... I had to drive some miles because I could not cut across many lines in heavy traffic....

And yes, ... I had to drive some miles because I could not cut across many lines in heavy traffic....

Switching lanes in heavy traffic is as easy as parallel parking. Seems that lots of people don't really know how to do it though. The totally clueless just turn on their directional and just wait for someone to let them in which doesn't work in heavy traffic. You just have a pick a gap in advance, don't signal til you're almost on top of it, signal and move your nose in and it's yours. I do it all the time. The key is to match speeds and not be afraid to use the gas pedal, brake and turning to look. The craziest is when the car in the other lane wants to merge into the same gap which is why it's important to actually look in heavy traffic and not count on your mirrors.

Using a phone GPS in a pinch is one thing, but for a pre-planned long trip I use a dedicated GPS since I already have it and don't want to waste my data. Actually I'm mostly using the GPS to tell me when I'm going to arrive at my destination and I'm just following the signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back