Do people still use non phone GPS machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of those old geezers that uses one, because I have a flip phone. The last Garmin I bought cost me $9 at the local resale shop.

I don’t mind them for high level directions.

Personally though the benefit of modern mapping is traffic monitoring and offering alternative routing in real time. Seems like google maps and wavz has that nailed.

As others have said,

A phone will not initialize a new navigational route if there is no cell signal.

I learned my lesson when I encountered a closed road in the lower Hudson valley (NY). Phone would not navigate the 'way around'. Booted up the ol' Garmin and escaped!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I pay for data so will put the GPS on, sometimes for amusement, sometimes for actual navigation. Also sometimes I don't get a great data signal.

I still print out Google Maps directions on paper!

I spend a lot of time in low signal areas. If you're using google maps, you can download the map of the region ahead of time. It will download the entire map for a few hundred miles in each direction. I believe on mine I have I81 from Watertown NY to Harrisburg PA downloaded and updated.

I use both.
My reasoning against relying on my phone for GPS goes back to a trip I was making in 2009( granted that was a pre-smartphone unit running Verizon's "VZnavigator"). Twice on that trip I missed/nearly missed critical turns, because a phone call, or a text came in at the exact wrong time, and the screen flipped to the incoming call, or the picture in the txt....

Also the phone based Navi would have been useless on my recent trip to Canada. Even though I went through all the motions of setting up Verizon's travel pass on my phone, the second I was out of range of a us tower, I had no signal....not even on the 401...

My wife won't go anywhere without her little Garmin GPS. Six years old and the maps have never been updated. If we go somewhere in my vehicle she'll make it a point to grab it before we leave.

What downloaded maps are some referring to here? Downloaded maps to your phone? Or free maps downloaded to your GPS unit?

use a Garmin Dezl in the semi...has a few extra features like weigh stations, no trucking streets and a 7" screen.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
What downloaded maps are some referring to here? Downloaded maps to your phone? Or free maps downloaded to your GPS unit?

You can download new maps from the Garmin site for a fee. Once you pay it, I think they offer unlimited updates for free.
There's also the option of using torrents to get the free files. Basically it's like downloading the maps from Garmin, but it's free and technically not legal. BUT it's very common and been used for everything from TV shows, to movies, games etc.

I have a 5 year old Garmin. Maybe in a couple more years I'll buy a new one. Yeah I know, I could update the maps, but if it's $100 (or less) for 5 or more years... kinda cheap IMO.

I understand you can download maps onto your phone, and I'm guessing it's easy, but I'd have to look it up every time, as I rarely use GPS going places. Garmin has a larger screen too. And I pay for data. Phone can stay in my pocket rather than having to plug it in every time I get in the car, then unplug when I get out.

Do people still steal GPS units?

For people with serious data concerns, there are alternative map apps like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro

Allows you to go dataless with a little prep and from there on you are covered wherever there is a GPS signal.

The whole U.S. map is 1gb tho so not for people with storage limited phones.

EDIT: The whole U.S. map is 4.1 GB. This is of course a non-issue on phones with removable storage options. (Or most modern smart phones)

Last edited:
Three answers:

No - I use my phone for road navigation, including anywhere where there isn't a cell signal. Nearly any navigation program allows you to download the maps to your phone when on wifi, and then works just fine regardless of cell signal (except for traffic updates, which to be honest, hasn't been an issue in those areas). Multiple trips, multiple locations with no cell service, and no issues. (I realize this a is a problem for anyone who believes that using your cell based GPS will give someone your data location. Reality is just using your cell at all has already done that...)

We had this debate on another board I frequent - and folks there argued about not liking the small screen on the phone (which is a non-issue there, as the maps come up on the 8" screen in the vehicle with android auto or apple car play), the non-cell areas (works fine with downloaded maps), and just general I like the truck based system better. Pretty expensive option at nearly 800 bucks for on board navigation, and I pointed out my truck even has a CD player that has never been used, but the automakers keep them for those who resist change...

Yes - I use a Garmin handheld unit for fishing. It has a lot of waypoints stored in it, and means I'm not fumbling with my phone in the boat all the time. (The the navionics app works pretty slick too).

Yes - I use a RTK GPS unit at work - which is survey grade and gets me within extremely low tolerances (and allows for even vertical elevations within 0.1 feet). These are expensive, and get upgraded every few years...

Originally Posted By: supton
Do people still steal GPS units?

IIRC, not as much anymore. Maybe when they were newer, but these days the tech is practically free.
Almost any thug/junkie can get their hands on one.

Just to be safe, I make sure to tuck mine away when not in use.

I've got a new Magellan Explorist TRX-7 Street and Trail, for off-roading. It has crowd sourced trail maps all over the US. It also has 3D topographical views, which is helpful in hilly or mountainous terrain. It is also waterproof and shock resistant.

Two of my units are about 10 years old. I tried to update the maps, but the new maps are more data and the old units just don't have the capacity for upgrading.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i was cleaning out some old stuff and stumbled on to my old tom tom. have not used it in years as my phone is my main GPS now. Seeing that almost everyone has a smart phone now with gps, is there even still a market for tom tom and garmins?

Two vehicles came with Navigation … upgraded stereo in one and got navigation and back up camera that way.
Have GPS/map/sonar in boat … 6 years old but the water ways don’t change like roads and have waypoints stored.
Have a dash mount Garmin for times I’ll be in a rent car and not sure about att working at destinations
Have hand held Garmins units for walking
Still like maps and to play with routes … sometimes I use the map for long parts of trip and turn on GPS before a city

My car came with navigation whether I wanted it or not,

My phone simply has no reception where I go and using data to download is stupid.

Many times I use a paper map to decide where and don’t look at the gps anyway

Your GPS on on your phone works regardless of cell service or not.

You download the maps when on wifi, not while on cell coverage (at least if you understand what you are doing), so using data to download is a non-issue.

Its not rocket science, but change, I know...

I drive in areas with no cell coverage (or out of country). With downloaded data, I still get directions, just not with traffic updates.

I run my Dezl even when I know the route because it displays the speed limit w/zone alerts, gps speed, traffic back-ups and hazardous weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back