Do people in other countries have high milage cars?

Visit places in Africa. Cars are driven there that would have been junked here decades ago.

Same with South America and Mexico. Mexico is especially cool because they have a lot of cars we got here, I saw several Fairmonts, Celebrities, Citations and other oddball cars that got junked here years ago. Nothing rusts and labor to repair is cheap.

You see high mileage vehicles in most countries. In many, after things like VAT, vehicles are very costly, so people tend to keep them. In Georgia, it was common to see Fiat 124 version Ladas still running around out in the countryside while in Tbilisi, used imports from the States and Canada were common and were often 100K miles cars shipped in. Some of these are surprisingly cheap in the country. Check for Prius prices in Georgia. Much less than they would be here and the Prius is the usual ride with Bolt, their version of Uber or Lyft.

Same with South America and Mexico. Mexico is especially cool because they have a lot of cars we got here, I saw several Fairmonts, Celebrities, Citations and other oddball cars that got junked here years ago. Nothing rusts and labor to repair is cheap.
To be honest I did not see alot of old cars in South America.And I visited many countries on both sides of the continent. What I did see were many smaller Chinese pickups of at least three different brands.

In some European countries, there are strict laws against having a vehicle to old, like in Germany.

Another reason I am proud to be an American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep-in Utah safety inspections were done away with and now you see so many unsafe vehicles on the road. Not a high average income here-and now with decent tires costing a better part of $1,000.00/set drivers push tires until they "pop" practically.

America....

Yep-in Utah safety inspections were done away with and now you see so many unsafe vehicles on the road. Not a high average income here-and now with decent tires costing a better part of $1,000.00/set drivers push tires until they "pop" practically.

America....

Vehicles can be fairly new and be “ unsafe “…

Like you said due to very bad tires, brakes, lights out…

But the biggest reason by far vehicles are “ unsafe” is due to the world champions that are behind the wheel of those beasts…

I have seen many older vehicles that are well taken care of and run well with no issues.

In some European countries, there are strict laws against having a vehicle to old, like in Germany.

With some of the things happening recently....I'm not as 'proud' as I used to be.

I think I read that Japan also has laws against older vehicles. That's probably has something to do with the availability of low mileage JDM engines here.

Absolutely untrue. As long as it can pass inspection you can have a car any age, the tax on old cars may be higher but there is nothing limiting the age. A friend of mine has a beautiful 1958 MB 220 S Ponton convertible that he drives occasionally, it passes inspection with no problem and does not have old timer H plates although it could.

With some of the things happening recently....I'm not as 'proud' as I used to be.

I think I read that Japan also has laws against older vehicles. That's probably has something to do with the availability of low mileage JDM engines here.
In Kyoto in 2015 I saw a very nice MB 190E-16 parked in a lot that had to be approaching 30 years old. Japan has a car culture, and vintage vehicles are apppreciated.

IIRC, it's more like their inspections get more intense, and registrations more expensive as they age, and at a certain point it's just not feasible/ "wise" for most people to expend the Yen.. ( not the right words, but they aren't coming to me...)

Back