Do people actually purchase new BMW's?

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by edyvw
Oh, you mean personal experience?

My cx5 needs spark plug changes every 40k miles (110 doing it myself with oem plugs, or 300ish dealer all the way), air filter every 20k and oil every 5k (how I do it, manual calls for every 7500). Oil and tire rotation with m1 EP is $80 at the dealer with me bringing my own oil factored into that price. Air filter is 30 bucks. Cabin filter them doing it is 110, me, 30ish, every 30k mi.

So basically $12-1400 every 50k miles, with $300 for belts every 100k miles. Thats all she needs per me. Per the manual, cut a few hundred bucks off due to me using more expensive oil, more often. That's 100% dealer labor too. DIY would be less of course.

So basically all those parts are more expensive than for BMW, and your spark plug interval is much shorter.

I think it would be better to use the owner's manual to compare maintenance schedules since every has their own preferences:

CX-5 maintenance:
[Linked Image]

I can't find the X5 one, but most models used to be 1 year/10K miles. Are they still that?

I tried to use the manual but he would have none of it, so I shared my PERSONAL schedule. I did forget brake fluid though. It's about $200/2 years IIRC.

Although I generally agree with the theory that BMW drivers are mostly of subpar quality as human beings, at least with respect to their driving skills, leasing them is not irrational. If you're making 10-15%/year on your business, stock portfolio, etc., there's nothing wrong with taking out a lease that may effectively cost you 5-6% at best in the implied interest rate.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Although I generally agree with the theory that BMW drivers are mostly of subpar quality as human beings, at least with respect to their driving skills, leasing them is not irrational. If you're making 10-15%/year on your business, stock portfolio, etc., there's nothing wrong with taking out a lease that may effectively cost you 5-6% at best in the implied interest rate.

Yes, appliance drivers that subscribe to left lane driving 20mph below speed limit, and keep driving same speed in construction zone although at that point they are speeding, are superb human beings.
What else we can throw in this discussion? We had: house purchases, mom's basements, lack of basic financial skills, and now subpar human beings.
This to me looks like some kind of psychiatric therapy for owners of appliance vehicles to make themselves feel better.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes, appliance drivers that subscribe to left lane driving 20mph below speed limit, and keep driving same speed in construction zone although at that point they are speeding, are superb human beings.
What else we can throw in this discussion? We had: house purchases, mom's basements, lack of basic financial skills, and now subpar human beings.
This to me looks like some kind of psychiatric therapy for owners of appliance vehicles to make themselves feel better.

Frankly, I don't understand the dislike for BMW on an emotional level. They're an entry-level German luxury brand with a performance division and typical German ethos. Either you are into 'em, or you aren't.

Although I generally agree with the theory that BMW drivers are mostly of subpar quality as human beings,

How do you rate people who make character judgements of others, based solely on the car they happen to drive?

Last edited:
Now I rarely see new bmw on the road..I think this is because of the new cars from asia (mostly japan and korea) which is cheaper and can also compete with other brand's quality.

Originally Posted by goldspoon
Now I rarely see new bmw on the road..I think this is because of the new cars from asia (mostly japan and korea) which is cheaper and can also compete with other brand's quality.

It's probably because BMW is having trouble cracking the 2% of American sales number, so depending where you are doing your "sampling" you aren't noticing a rising number of Beemers. You must live in an area where not too many guys live in their mom's basement.
27.gif
21.gif

BMW Sales.PNG

Or that they don't sell as many cars because they're luxury cars and there aren't that many people in your area that are in the top 10%. They're way more popular on the east/west coast, basically near major population centers.

I see a lot of them, relatively. They are pretty popular. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 3 series.

I generally agree with the theory that BMW drivers are mostly of subpar quality as human beings,
Nonsense.

Although I generally agree with the theory that BMW drivers are mostly of subpar quality as human beings, at least with respect to their driving skills...

Now this definitely sounds like someone who lives in his mom's basement.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I see a lot of them, relatively. They are pretty popular. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 3 series.

Same here, they are everywhere. I see about 5 Bimmers for every Audi in my locale. I see more Benz than Audi too but not as bad a ratio.

In my metro area for German it's VW, BMW, Benz then Audi, Cooper.

I guess nobody read gofast182's thread on picking up his new M340i?

Yes, people buy new BMWs all the time. How else do you think anybody finds them for sale as CPOs, or otherwise previously used?

BTW, many of them are people who can properly afford them AND care about the car AND maintain it, AND they know how to drive it properly.

I don't get the Bimmer bashings here...

Originally Posted by andreigbs

Yes, people buy new BMWs all the time. How else do you think anybody finds them for sale as CPOs, or otherwise previously used?

BTW, many of them are people who can properly afford them AND care about the car AND maintain it, AND they know how to drive it properly.

I suspect many of the CPO's are former leases.

Besides, if there wasn't bimmer-bashing then what would be the punchline to "What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW"? It just wouldn't be the same... (says the guy who drives the worlds second most boring vehicles).

Originally Posted by andreigbs

You have to drive it different? Like doing 130 down the Interstate?

Of course, calling other brands appliances is not bashing..

Originally Posted by PimTac

You have to drive it different? Like doing 130 down the Interstate

Well, in 1983 I did cross Pennsylvania averaging close to 100 mph in my Bavaria 3.0-on a dreary and rainy Sunday morning.
Even the Clubman will sneak up to three digit speeds if you don't watch it.

^ I leased the M340i but we purchased my wife's new X5 last year (did a thread on that one, too).

There are a some idiotic responses based on old stereotypes in this thread, again, likely some of whom have little to no first-hand experience with BMW.

In my experience many Nissan Maxima owners drive like tools, so do many people who drive large pickup trucks. What of that? I use my turn signal all the time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by gofast182
^ I leased the M340i but we purchased my wife's new X5 last year (did a thread on that one, too).

There are a some idiotic responses based on old stereotypes in this thread, again, likely some of whom have little to no first-hand experience with BMW.

In my experience many Nissan Maxima owners drive like tools, so do many people who drive large pickup trucks. What of that? I use my turn signal all the time.
wink.gif

Yup, by far the worst I've seen are minivan and brodozer drivers
21.gif

On my daily commute to Chicago this morning (I live 100 miles away, FWIW), I saw a wreck happen right next to me and I knew it was going to happen before the $&%*$ Veloster driver caused it.

I reduced my speed slightly, firmed up steering wheel grip, and was prepared for immediate evasive action. Fortunately for me and for those behind me, the idiot Veloster driver was kept in her own lane by bouncing off a GMC Suburban, otherwise she'd have cut across 3 lanes of traffic to her left and gotten several of us in the process.

Before that happened, she had been in front of me for several miles as I contemplated the level of idiocy directly in front of me. As soon as she changed lanes without a turn signal and almost on two wheels (swerved over is more like it), I knew she had achieved nearly 100% stupid. The wreck was entirely avoidable, had she checked her mirrors, used her turn signal and not swerved into the next lane while cutting someone else off. This is what made her swerve back into the previous lane where she lost the rear end and was then heading straight back to her left, had it no been for that unsuspecting Suburban (for which I felt bad but also grateful, in a weird way).

Luckily no one else seemed to have been involved.

Point is: there are tons of stupid, ignorant, unskilled drivers that occupy many different car brands. There must be more of them in Illinois than normal. Bashing a car brand instead of the idiot in it is pointless.

Back