Do people actually purchase new BMW's?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by PimTac

You mentioned only the CX30 in the original post. Now we get a bigger list.

I'm not biased against the brand but the buyer should also include higher insurance premiums and higher maintenance costs as part of their research.

A lot of posters taking criticism personally this evening.

Insurance on my Toyota Sienna is exactly $14.36 cheaper for 6 months than it was for BMW X5. Insurance for 328i is of course cheaper with same coverage than for Sienna.
But, I am really interested to hear about those maintenance costs. Can someone here gives us numbers about maintenance costs between X1 and vehicle of their choice?

Sure. I had to use the cx9, as Edmunds has not gotten the cx5 turbo models loaded up in the system yet. The cx9 is mechanically near identical to the cx5 Gtr and Sg models, so it's pretty analogous. Same engine, transmission, etc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL.
I was asking serious question.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Why would a valve cover need replacing? I've never heard of that unless it got damaged somehow.

For the N55 the PCV system is integrated into the cover itself and there's a diaphragm inside it which can fail. Also in the past BMW covers in general were known to deform or crack ever so slightly due to the heat cycling. The current one doesn't deform but can crack.

That's encouraging.

Not any more than solenoid failure on Toyota 2GRFE which can cost up to $4k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
You didn't just say Toyota has expensive failures?

What a crime. But that is OK. When that happenes, people do not mind paying bcs. in their mind calculation goes: hmm, if I have to pay for this vehicle THIS much, thank God I did not get some European vehicle. God knows how much would that part be on those cars. That is why Toyota sells 17" donut spare tire for $315, and BMW 18" donut for $129. Bcs. they can get away with it. Heck, people will actually think they are getting good deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gofast182
I'd be willing to bet that a portion of the people piling on have not owned a BMW, do not intend to own one, and some have probably never driven one but the internet told them certain things about BMWs from some period in time so they must be true, even for newer products.

Friend had an e46 M3. I rode in it. It was good for it's time, ok in general, not worth the headache he endured keeping it on the road. I just am not impressed in general until you get into M class stuff, and I honestly am done paying those kinds of notes and Japanese vehicles just really deliver on the stuff I care about. The Sq5 is the closest I'd come go BMW stuff, and yeah, I am kindof lowkey considering one in a few years, but that's probably just me kicking thoughts around.

Originally Posted by Ws6

You mentioned only the CX30 in the original post. Now we get a bigger list.

I'm not biased against the brand but the buyer should also include higher insurance premiums and higher maintenance costs as part of their research.

A lot of posters taking criticism personally this evening.

Insurance on my Toyota Sienna is exactly $14.36 cheaper for 6 months than it was for BMW X5. Insurance for 328i is of course cheaper with same coverage than for Sienna.
But, I am really interested to hear about those maintenance costs. Can someone here gives us numbers about maintenance costs between X1 and vehicle of their choice?

Sure. I had to use the cx9, as Edmunds has not gotten the cx5 turbo models loaded up in the system yet. The cx9 is mechanically near identical to the cx5 Gtr and Sg models, so it's pretty analogous. Same engine, transmission, etc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL.
I was asking serious question.

Oh, you mean personal experience?

My cx5 needs spark plug changes every 40k miles (110 doing it myself with oem plugs, or 300ish dealer all the way), air filter every 20k and oil every 5k (how I do it, manual calls for every 7500). Oil and tire rotation with m1 EP is $80 at the dealer with me bringing my own oil factored into that price. Air filter is 30 bucks. Cabin filter them doing it is 110, me, 30ish, every 30k mi.

So basically $12-1400 every 50k miles, with $300 for belts every 100k miles. Thats all she needs per me. Per the manual, cut a few hundred bucks off due to me using more expensive oil, more often. That's 100% dealer labor too. DIY would be less of course.

When I owned a used BMW there wasn't any rhyme or reason to parts costs. Some were really expensive and some weren't. I remember an alternator was cheaper than for a Crown Vic. My particular dealer wasn't exploitative either, contrary to stereotype.

It also wasn't particularly reliable or durable.

A used off lease BMW is bound to be competitive in a free market. I'd still go for the CX30 for $6K more. If nothing else it's an extra three years of service life.

I would be reluctant to own one out of warranty that's for sure. They can't become weekend cars you keep for years or hand down to your kids (in affluent families) like they were in the olden days.

Notes to self:
1. Sell the Club Sport I've had since 1995.
2. Text son and tell him to flip the E90 3er he got from us.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Notes to self:
1. Sell the Club Sport I've had since 1995.
2. Text son and tell him to flip the E90 3er he got from us.

I feel like if your BMW works, you should keep it. I have only met 2 kinds of BMW owners. Those who swear by their car, and those who swear at it. That said, the physician I grew up around who always drove M cars was always having them in the shop...and kept always buying them, so they must have some sort of charm, similar to the Jeep crowd. I'm just not excited by that level of finicky. I've tried that out before with 1911's and Jeeps. I got rid of both very quickly, while others absolutely relish it, I find it exasperating. Different strokes.

I can afford to purchase one outright but, I tend to be frugal and keep my vehicle for ~ 125,000 miles. BMW doesn't fit that profile because of very high maintenance cost and cost of repairs. BMW SUVs are not respected as reliable vehicle for long service. Ed

some people just like to get their car fixed, a reasoned social event at the shop I'd guess.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I can afford to purchase one outright but, I tend to be frugal and keep my vehicle for ~ 125,000 miles. BMW doesn't fit that profile because of very high maintenance cost and cost of repairs. BMW SUVs are not respected as reliable vehicle for long service. Ed

SO what are those maintenance costs?

My cx5 needs spark plug changes every 40k miles (110 doing it myself with oem plugs, or 300ish dealer all the way), air filter every 20k and oil every 5k (how I do it, manual calls for every 7500). Oil and tire rotation with m1 EP is $80 at the dealer with me bringing my own oil factored into that price. Air filter is 30 bucks. Cabin filter them doing it is 110, me, 30ish, every 30k mi.

So basically $12-1400 every 50k miles, with $300 for belts every 100k miles. Thats all she needs per me. Per the manual, cut a few hundred bucks off due to me using more expensive oil, more often. That's 100% dealer labor too. DIY would be less of course.

So basically all those parts are more expensive than for BMW, and your spark plug interval is much shorter.

So basically all those parts are more expensive than for BMW, and your spark plug interval is much shorter.

I think it would be better to use the owner's manual to compare maintenance schedules since every has their own preferences:

CX-5 maintenance:
[Linked Image]

I can't find the X5 one, but most models used to be 1 year/10K miles. Are they still that?

Originally Posted by Pew

I think it would be better to use the owner's manual to compare maintenance schedules since every has their own preferences:

CX-5 maintenance:
[Linked Image]

I can't find the X5 one, but most models used to be 1 year/10K miles. Are they still that?

Oil? 2yr or 10k. It was 1yr/15k some 8-10 years ago.

Last edited:

I wish I had known that before I bought my E83 X3 2.5i; I only kept it until it had 198k miles on it. I guess I should advise the friend I sold it to. He claims to be very happy with it but I'm sure he's just putting on a brave face...

Originally Posted by Pew

For engine oil changes that is correct; Plugs get changed at around 60k miles. I change the brake fluid and coolant every two years; the MT/AT, TC and final drive oils get changed every 60k, but the factory service schedule only calls for the brake fluid change.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I wish I had known that before I bought my E83 X3 2.5i; I only kept it until it had 198k miles on it. I guess I should advise the friend I sold it to. He claims to be very happy with it but I'm sure he's just putting on a brave face...

My 2009 E61 525d made some 266k miles (425k km). Apparently car did not have idea about that 125k rule.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
If I could afford a new Porsche 911 I'd buy one.

I'd take a Cayman GTS.

Back