Do I Need High Octane Gas?

My 3.7L V6 SUV Ford Edge has a missing issue when going over 70 mph and going uphill . I just put in a new Air Filter . I just scanned the vehicle and have no Trouble Codes . I started using a higher octane gas to hopefully clean out the fuel system and seems to have helped a little but still has a slight miss . What should I do next ?

Last edited:
Missing a lot of pertinent information. Vehicle? Year? Engine? Compression ratio? Mileage? Answering blind but unlikely a higher octane will be the answer. Sure won't "clean" out the fuel system if its dirty.

A misfire would be unrelated to the fuel octane. Sometimes knock might feel like a momentary misfire though, since the ECU may rapidly retard the ignition timing enough that you can feel the power loss, but if 91 octane hasn't solved the problem, I doubt that's the issue.

If your scanner can read misfire events in real time, you could use it to confirm the misfire and figure out which cylinder(s) it's coming from. If not, you might be able to force a code to appear if you can drive in such a way to get enough misfires to occur in a short enough period of time.

Otherwise, I'd start with the plugs and coils, and also clean the MAF sensor, since it's usually what controls fuelling at high engine loads. If those don't help, check the fuel pressure or replace the fuel filter. It might be good to do a compression test while you have the spark plugs removed as well.

A misfire would be unrelated to the fuel octane.
That is generally true.

However, I started thinking about it, and if the knock sensor is rapidly pulling ign timing, it can feel a bit "off" and on some vehicles, can actually feel like a shudder, buck or misfire.

I suggest the OP try a tank of 93 and see if it is simply knock related.

If so, OP could try a dose or two of Techron (or other PEA additive). As I mentioned above, it is possible to have a dirty injector that causes an improper fuel mixture, which could result in detonation. Also carbon buildup in the combustion chamber is a factor.

Missing a lot of pertinent information. Vehicle? Year? Engine? Compression ratio? Mileage? Answering blind but unlikely a higher octane will be the answer. Sure won't "clean" out the fuel system if its dirty.
re read OP...3.7l v6 in a Ford Edge... didn't say year or mileage.

Assuming it is a non turbo SFI?
My buddy just had his blow at 118k miles and it was doing the same thing and he was by the book on maintenance.. Cost him $13k in all..

Not saying yours is but just a warning.

I too suspect the fuel filter. A dirty filter would cause loss of high end performance.
A secondary suspect would be a broken catalytic converter with the pieces clogging the exhaust. Give the converter a kick and listen for rattling on the inside.

My 3.7L V6 SUV Ford Edge has a missing issue when going over 70 mph and going uphill . I just put in a new Air Filter . I just scanned the vehicle and have no Trouble Codes . I started using a higher octane gas to hopefully clean out the fuel system and seems to have helped a little but still has a slight miss . What should I do next ?
Higher octane gas isn't gonna clean any better. Unless your Ford is designed for it it's at best a waste of money and might actually be harmful.
A tune up and fuel system cleaning might help.

Check the owner's manual for specified octane. You're wasting your money paying extra for gas with an octane rating higher than what the manual calls for. If you really want to feel like you're doing anything for your vehicle at the pump, go to a TopTier station. Participating brands will have their fuel suppliers add additional detergents and stuff at the rack beyond what comes out of the tank farm.

Back