Ditching 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KCJeep
Engineers did not go to 20's because they were optimal, but due to intense pressure to increase fuel economy, any how any way possible. That same pressure that has brought us junk CVT's, almost universally hated stop/start, and 9/10 speed transmissions that are constantly trying to lug the car down at low rpms (say LSPI).

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by nascarnation
I think the question always is, what problem is the OP trying to solve?
Of course in California, it's not going to rust out, so ultimate engine life may be a true consideration here.
But does this Honda engine have lube-related failure modes?
Would 15W50 weight oil and an oil pan heater (for startup) and a pre-lube accumulator and a superfine add-on filter move the failure point from 275,000 miles to 300,000 miles?

So your saying the oil grade does not matter?

So much information to consider here; thanks to all that weighed in with a valuable thoughts. I'm going to noodle on this for a few more weeks but I can see the value for sticking with 0w20 and also ditching it for a 30 weight variant.

I'm determined to get this car to 300,000 miles so I'm going to start planning some road trips and I'll start with a UOA. Then I'll pull the trigger on which oil weight I'll be using for the next 250K miles.

Last edited:
I always look at what the manual says to use for Severe Service and that grade is what is really best for your engine protection wise.
I don't care about mpg over protection.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by KCJeep
Engineers did not go to 20's because they were optimal, but due to intense pressure to increase fuel economy, any how any way possible. That same pressure that has brought us junk CVT's, almost universally hated stop/start, and 9/10 speed transmissions that are constantly trying to lug the car down at low rpms (say LSPI).

thumbsup2.gif

Some truth to this and members are not alone in the trail and error bucket. How about Ford? I'm a lifetime owner of mostly GM/Ford with a few Mopars here and there and feel GM has managed lubricants best of the B3 … case in point how many others accept Dexron ATF and have for years …
But went through heartburn having my first 5.3L on 20's until I read up on changes like oil coolers, oil pumps, piston oil jets, and upgraded capacity (now 8 quarts) … Now I just trust the OLM and M1 EP … even have brought myself to accept the PF63e (while waiting on new FU) …

Based on the information given: powerful V-6, OP praising its speed and power, hot climate that seldom drops below 50 F, SoCal traffic and average highway cruising speed, short OCI, out of warranty....this seems like a good case-study for moving to x-30 oil. OP also does not care about the tiny mpg hit.

Not saying x-20 would not protect the engine till the car dies of old age, barring drag racing or truly extreme aggressive driving, but for that engine, in that climate, for that usage case and with no warranty concerns, I would consider going one grade thicker.

For someone with the same car in the mid-West or Northeast, where temps hit zero in the winter, who drives gently and mostly highway miles near the speed limit, who obsessively tracks mpg, who changes oil at 10K....in that case a full-syn 0w-20 makes sense.

Interesting that owner's manuals in some countries mention these factors and give a range of acceptable oil grades, but in the US it's one size fits all.

My friend who has a 2002 Odyssey nearing 300,000 miles uses Castrol HM 10W30 per quick lube shop sticker (the oil cap says 5W30 but the manual says 5W20).

I'm wondering if I should use some of my clearance PP 10W30 in my Accord,or should I stick to 5W20 that I've been using,and save the 10W30 for the Z and Mustang?

When the K24 powered TSX came out,the oem spec was 5W30 while the K24 powered Accord of the same year was specd 5W20. Then eventually both cars were back specd to 0W20. The only difference I can tell engine wise is that they went from a metal plenum to a plastic one. I wonder if there were any internal changes made?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'm wondering if I should use some of my clearance PP 10W30 in my Accord,or should I stick to 5W20 that I've been using,and save the 10W30 for the Z and Mustang?

When the K24 powered TSX came out,the oem spec was 5W30 while the K24 powered Accord of the same year was specd 5W20. Then eventually both cars were back specd to 0W20. The only difference I can tell engine wise is that they went from a metal plenum to a plastic one. I wonder if there were any internal changes made?

Are you serious? The K24 is not the same in those two cars. The accord has lower compression and less rev ability then the TSX's K24. So one is intended to be a grocery beater while the TSX has the change of being driven aggressively while revving higher in VTEC. That's why the TSX got thicker oil.

Sorry to get off topic. Needed to correct bad information from spreading.

Originally Posted by Artem

Are you serious? The K24 is not the same in those two cars. The accord has lower compression and less rev ability then the TSX's K24. So one is intended to be a grocery beater while the TSX has the change of being driven aggressively while revving higher in VTEC. That's why the TSX got thicker oil.

LOL! Great point Artem and thanks for the info

Try again.

laugh.gif
can I have a personal question for all of Americans here...

Common consensus here is...ok 0w20 is ok if you are driving your car "softly" Otherwise if you are normal driver it is vise to use thicker oils...

Are you Americans in general such a gentle drivers?
laugh.gif
Some mix between elderly drivers and hm.....

Hahaha :p

EDIT: I feel sorry for a Dave1251...he gonna be mad on me again
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
laugh.gif

Common consensus here is...ok 0w20 is ok if you are driving your car "softly" Otherwise if you are normal driver it is vise to use thicker oils...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Fishing must be slow in Slovenia? Also you know what they say about emoticons.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Try again.

Try again for what?? Please elaborate.

That's the thing. I DON'T know,hence the reason for the post. I understand the higher compression thing,BUT,are there any internal differences lubrication system wise?

Originally Posted by PimTac

Sorry I dont get that "idiom"? You must be pulling my leg... LoL
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah, that post was a TROLL post if I ever saw one

Ok,another question per my post. Why did the TSX get back specd to 0W20 if it needs thicker oil because it revs higher?

TSX.jpg

Originally Posted by Trav
I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 and 5w30 in these J35 engines for over a decade in a much colder climate than yours, every engine has done great on both. Put all of them I have serviced regularly and there is well over a million miles with no lube related failure. Cant say the same for xw20 in J35 i-VTEC engines.

Exactly, shame you ran the 0/20 50k neverless I'd be looking/listening close on 10/30 10/40 pick your fav and enjoy the luxurious result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back