Difference between the Cybertruck and DeLorean?

One has a Flux Capacitor and one doesn't... We got all kinds in Silicon Valley, lemme tell ya...
cybertruck delorean.jpg

well... for one.... The Delorean is made of a Fiberglass type composite, with the stainless steel just being exterior panels hung on that structure...
They cyber truck is an actual Metal framed vehicle...

that being said...I'd rather have the Delorean. possibly EV swapped...
just looks better.... and BTTF has always been one of my fav. movie series...

I'd rather have the Delorean.
Seconded. Even if it wasn’t for the movie, I think the Delorean would still have a massive following. Timeless 80s design, SS, and gull-wing doors, what’s not to like?

Seconded. Even if it wasn’t for the movie, I think the Delorean would still have a massive following. Timeless 80s design, SS, and gull-wing doors, what’s not to like?
I like the Delorean in spite of the movie. If I owned one, I think I'd quickly grow weary of people asking about flux capacitors. The car's development and history are actually pretty interesting on its own.

I like the Delorean in spite of the movie. If I owned one, I think I'd quickly grow weary of people asking about flux capacitors. The car's development and history are actually pretty interesting on its own.
DeLorean Snorts Car... I see a few running around from time to time, but not many. If I were gonna get something special like a DeLorean, I would get a Pantera.
1697567129949.jpg

well... for one.... The Delorean is made of a Fiberglass type composite, with the stainless steel just being exterior panels hung on that structure...

The DeLorean has an "actual metal frame" also. There's not a lot to it, but it's basically a double-Y looking piece that handles the suspension, steering, engine, transmission, etc and provides structural rigidity to the fiberglass.

Unfortunately too though they are susceptible to frame rot, not unlike what happened with the 90s/early 2000s Tacomas(IIRC it wasn't that different of a problem either-they have an epoxy coating that can fail and let rest set up and migrate where it chips off). Someone for a while was selling a stainless steel replacement frame-it wasn't cheap, but then by and large they've become valuable enough that it's usually worth repairing one with a rotten frame.

As mentioned, it's a pretty interesting car with its own history outside the movies. JZD actually had a pretty ambitious target of a high performance car that was easy to maintain and repair and also was inexepensive. The DMC-12 model number was supposed to indicate a target price point of $12,000. Unfortunately the delivered product was pretty seriously emissions strangled, had its handling messed up by federal bumper impact standards that raised it a few inches, and I don't think actually managed to hit the target price point.

The separate stainless steel panels hung on the fiberglass was also an intentional design choice. They recognized that actually repairing an SS panel so it looks right(without paint to hide it) took a LOT of work, and the plan had been for replacement panels to be inexpensive and easy enough to swap that they would just be replaced. Of course the company was making cars for such a short time that doing that pretty quickly became impractical. If you see a painted DeLorean, it's probably hiding previous body damage since it's a whole lot easier to just use conventional repair methods(get it as close as possible, bondo, and then paint).

I really haven't looked into this in a long time, but I'd not be surprised if there's a cottage industry now with people who can straighten and regrain SS panels. The big company out of Texas I think also had some stock of NOS, or maybe they were producing new panels on the old dies.

I really haven't looked into this in a long time, but I'd not be surprised if there's a cottage industry now with people who can straighten and regrain SS panels.
You're correct. I've been watching a series of videos from a guy here in IL (Alex at Legit Street Cars) and he recently bought a Delorean and had a crew from Wisconsin (I think) come to massage out a few dents, sand away some scratches and then re-grain the whole car. It came out perfect. He also addresses a lot of the hidden problems that may be lurking, such as coolant leaks under the intake manifold that turn acidic and corrode the engine block, eventually causing coolant to enter the engine. In the most recent episode, they ice-blasted the frame and discussed how to weld the various little rust issues that were revealed.

The DeLorean has an "actual metal frame" also. There's not a lot to it, but it's basically a double-Y looking piece that handles the suspension, steering, engine, transmission, etc and provides structural rigidity to the fiberglass.

Unfortunately too though they are susceptible to frame rot, not unlike what happened with the 90s/early 2000s Tacomas(IIRC it wasn't that different of a problem either-they have an epoxy coating that can fail and let rest set up and migrate where it chips off). Someone for a while was selling a stainless steel replacement frame-it wasn't cheap, but then by and large they've become valuable enough that it's usually worth repairing one with a rotten frame.

As mentioned, it's a pretty interesting car with its own history outside the movies. JZD actually had a pretty ambitious target of a high performance car that was easy to maintain and repair and also was inexepensive. The DMC-12 model number was supposed to indicate a target price point of $12,000. Unfortunately the delivered product was pretty seriously emissions strangled, had its handling messed up by federal bumper impact standards that raised it a few inches, and I don't think actually managed to hit the target price point.

The separate stainless steel panels hung on the fiberglass was also an intentional design choice. They recognized that actually repairing an SS panel so it looks right(without paint to hide it) took a LOT of work, and the plan had been for replacement panels to be inexpensive and easy enough to swap that they would just be replaced. Of course the company was making cars for such a short time that doing that pretty quickly became impractical. If you see a painted DeLorean, it's probably hiding previous body damage since it's a whole lot easier to just use conventional repair methods(get it as close as possible, bondo, and then paint).

I really haven't looked into this in a long time, but I'd not be surprised if there's a cottage industry now with people who can straighten and regrain SS panels. The big company out of Texas I think also had some stock of NOS, or maybe they were producing new panels on the old dies.
yeah... i didn't word that right...
the Delorean does in fact have a metal Frame/Chassis, that the Fiberglass is bolted to...
while the Cyber truck has what appears to be a steel ( not sure if it's stainless or not...) Unibody. ( haven't looked into it to tell if it's a body on frame design)

Those stainless steel bodies will be tough to clean being parked near trees like that. It’s not just the trees but the birds that roost in them.

Years ago a coworker had a Delorean. Around the hospital parking lots they plant ash trees that produced a lot of those orange berries. The birds loved to eat those berries and afterwards deposit the remains all over the cars parked there. Her Delorean was covered in berry bombs.

producing new panels on the old dies.
I saw in a documentary that the old dies were auctioned off after the bankruptcy and some fishing company bought them to use as weights for their fishing nets. Long story short it is likely that a lot of the old dies are at the bottom of the ocean around the coast of England.

Where's all of these deliveries of the Cybertruck that Jeff kept saying were going to kill the "Big 3". The Delorean is waaaay cooler than the bloated cybertruck.

The difference is one exists, the other is one man's fantasy money pit.

"We dug our own grave with Cybertruck," -Musk

At this point, they'd probably be wisest to set the price on this thing so high it's in outer space and let it be a low production status symbol/halo vehicle. This thing will appeal most to the Hummer crowd.

At this point, they'd probably be wisest to set the price on this thing so high it's in outer space and let it be a low production status symbol/halo vehicle. This thing will appeal most to the Hummer crowd.
The introductory price of a new product, especially an expensive, high capital expenditure product is almost always expensive. Strippies do little to recoup start up costs. The Cybertruck, like the Lightning, Rivian (and every new vehicle) take time to ramp production and gain efficiencies of scale.

Ford, GM, VW and others lose billion$ on EVs. They hope to be profitable in a couple more years.

Back