Diesel Zero Turn With 1920s maintenance requirements!

Looking at Diesel Zeroturns for a friend that is interested and I was going over the specs on a BadBoy Renegade Diesel. It is equipped with an 1100cc Perkins Diesel.

It looks like a nice unit except the maintenance schedule is downright insane for a mower that will be used commercially by most users.

Oil and filter chance- Every 50 hours after the first initial 8 hour OCI. Seems a bit demanding, but its easy enough.
Replace fuel and air filters- every 100 hours

Change hydraulic oil and filter- every 250 hours after initial 50 hour interval.

Heres what got me.....

Adjust valves, Clean and lap valve seating surface, clean combustion chamber- Every 250 hours..... What is this the 1920s?!

If the unit is used 5 hours a day 5 days a week, once every 2 months you need to lap the valve seats? Crazy, especially for a commercial unit that easily can rack up 750 hours in a season.

Perkins diesels have a great reputation - but I agree with you those kind of service intervals are unacceptable for a commercial machine!

Kubota makes a few diesel mowers - and great diesel engines - with 200hr oil change intervals

This maintenance schedule also tells you to change the spark plugs and is obviously not the maintenance plan for a diesel engine. Further down on page 21 the manual also contradicts itself and recommends oil and filter changes every 100 hours. I'd ignore that maintenance plan entirely and stick to whatever the engine manual says.

Back