Diesel oil in gasoline cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
[
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
There is a starburst on the container. It will have a CJ-4 or CK-4 rating for diesel.

It will also have a /SM or /SN rating if it is compatible for gasoline engines. (Example: CK-4/SN)

The new CK-4/SN oils promise superior lubrication to the older CJ-4/SM rated oils.

It depends on your specific manufacturer recommendation but typically HDEO (heavy diesel engine oils) are fine for gasoline engines except they are of higher viscosity than gasoline motor oils nowadays which are trending towards 0W-20's for fuel economy.

umm, no, no starburst. The API starburst is reserved for energy conserving oils and none of the dual rated HDEOs are.
Maybe you meant the API donut?
Any dual rated HDEO will have the donut in which the diesel (compression ignition, hence the "C") spec comes first and the spark ignition ("S", get it?) spec comes second.
These are generally high HTHS oils and are well suited to engines calling for a thicker oil.
Old German cars come to mind.
They're intended to be used in fleets having both diesel trucks and heavy equipment as well as some gasser pickups and passenger cars. No need for the fleet operator to stock separate oil for the gassers.
These oils work well in this use and can work well in any spark ignition engine.
Got some T5 in one of my gassers ATM and I haven't owned a diesel in twenty years.

Thank God you are here to correct that horrible blunder.

You are right, it is not a starburst...it is a donut.

You quite likely saved this poster hours of effort searching through jugs and bottles of countless oils looking for a starburst rather than a donut...a circle with the letters CK-4/SN.

I am forever in your debt
grin.gif

I am not sure what all the talk is of old german cars, I will skip to the bottom, "this oil works in any spark ignition engine".

Yes, it will work...but many new cars are recommended to run on much thinner viscosity oils and HDEOs are not typically found in 0W-20.

Cheers

Last edited:
Guess you don't frequent old German car circles. If you did, you'd understand that part of my post.
Many new cars have much thinner grades recommended for them in this market but often not in others.
The reasons for that as well as the desirability of using thinner grades is another topic entirely, one that has spawned many threads running to many pages.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Guess you don't frequent old German car circles. If you did, you'd understand that part of my post.
Many new cars have much thinner grades recommended for them in this market but often not in others.
The reasons for that as well as the desirability of using thinner grades is another topic entirely, one that has spawned many threads running to many pages.

OK...lets see...you have the following vehicles in your Signature and the oils used in each.

12 Accord LX 69K SSO 0W-20
09 Forester 83K PU 10W-30
01 Focus ZX3 112K M1 5W-20
96 Accord LX 104K T5 10W-30
95 BMW 318iC 159K Delvac 15W-40

It appears you only use an HDEO in one of your vehicles and lighter viscosity oils in the other four.

This seems to prove out my point...HDEO will work in gasoline (spark) engines but there may be better oils to use (i.e. thinner viscosity).

I don't know how I can say this any clearer...your own practices seem to be all the proof one should require and any further debate is best kept between yourself...and yourself.
wink.gif

I live in a State that does care and does serious SMOG testing every two years. All my older high mileage cars and trucks run on HDEO's like Delo 400 15W-40 and some are well past 200,000 and still passing SMOG tests just fine.

We did loose a CAT on my wife's Jag, but that was due to a head gasket failure and coolant dump into the exhaust (guarenteed CAT failure). It is out to 180K on HEDO and the new CAT is fine and the second old CAT is fine (uses two in series).

It's just not a real issue. HEDO's have been in my cars and trucks for decades. That's what I run. My stuff runs long.

Last Volvo (turbo) went to 283K before it would not pass a SMOG test. The Sirocco went past 300K on HDEO. The Big Bronco has 217K and it passes SMOG just fine. And that engine is getting a bit tired, but still tests good on emissions
smile.gif

Your counting skills appear to be a little deficient.
Have another look at my sig.
You can then reply and dig yourself into an even deeper hole here.

Thanks for all the input .

I do not plan to run " diesel oil " in my vehicles . Well , maybe if I stumble on a smoking hot sale ........

Thanks , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back