Diesel Additive - Is there one that reduces smoke?

Hi All,

Background - So I run an old 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi as a bit of a fun car. It's a 2.0 direct injection diesel which has a remap on it. It has all the standard exhaust on it so it has the cat converter and the standard silencers, but as it's an old car it doesn't have a DPF.

I just took it for a drive after my Mom has been driving it for a while, and when I floored it the smoke it produced was really bad. (It had built up over time as my Mom drives it very steadily). I'd like it to run cleaner as I don't want to get a bad name as the guy that smokes everyone out when he's in front. I am considering getting the remap reduced a bit so it doesn't run so rich as well. I'd loose power, and a bit of fun, but at least it'd not be so sooty.

Question - Fuel wise I am wondering, is there actually a diesel additive that's proven to reduce soot production at all?

Kind Regards & Thanks,
Jack

I'm seeing adding detergents like Dee-zol? May help, never used it but maybe. I've also read that the high and low pressure fuel injectors can become clogged and cause issues. Are there any aftermarket filter/ dpf systems available?

Hi All,

Background - So I run an old 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi as a bit of a fun car. It's a 2.0 direct injection diesel which has a remap on it. It has all the standard exhaust on it so it has the cat converter and the standard silencers, but as it's an old car it doesn't have a DPF.

I just took it for a drive after my Mom has been driving it for a while, and when I floored it the smoke it produced was really bad. (It had built up over time as my Mom drives it very steadily). I'd like it to run cleaner as I don't want to get a bad name as the guy that smokes everyone out when he's in front. I am considering getting the remap reduced a bit so it doesn't run so rich as well. I'd loose power, and a bit of fun, but at least it'd not be so sooty.

Question - Fuel wise I am wondering, is there actually a diesel additive that's proven to reduce soot production at all?

Kind Regards & Thanks,
Jack

You could run a diesel fuel system cleaner which may clean up the orfaces on injector tips. LiquiMoly offers quite a few diesel fuel products in the UK.

HVO (100) soots less. Get more air in so check air inlet and filter.

If its over fueling thats the issue no additive will fix it though.

Last edited:
If it is sooting up, wouldn’t a couple hard pulls blow it all out? maybe do at night. Then get a remap and reduce fueling a bit, although if mom drives lightly then I think it will happen regardless.

Is it time to pull the injectors and change the nozzles?

I'm seeing adding detergents like Dee-zol? May help, never used it but maybe. I've also read that the high and low pressure fuel injectors can become clogged and cause issues. Are there any aftermarket filter/ dpf systems available?
You could run a diesel fuel system cleaner which may clean up the orfaces on injector tips. LiquiMoly offers quite a few diesel fuel products in the UK.

These are both definitely an idea. It may make a difference as it's done 125k miles. I have used Archoil 6400-D Max at some point not long ago though so I am not sure whether any other type may make a bigger difference.

I imagine that'd be extrememly expensive stuff? The overfueling will be able to be solved with a little remap to a lower hp I think. But if there is a way to reduce soot with a better burn some how by an additive then that'd be welcome.

If it is sooting up, wouldn’t a couple hard pulls blow it all out? maybe do at night. Then get a remap and reduce fueling a bit, although if mom drives lightly then I think it will happen regardless.

Is it time to pull the injectors and change the nozzles?

They do, then it's a light haze, but I think that maybe not great either really considering how most modern cars you can't see any visible smoke at all. I'm just trying to minimise it really.

The injector nozzles are a good shout! I'll have a look into how much that'd cost. 😀

Hi All,

Kind Regards & Thanks,
Jack
It's your remap that is causing the smoke. It is purposely injecting more fuel around the threshold for smoke.

Black sooting and smoke are different things.

If sooting it’s overfueled. Fix that.

If smoke, some injection pumps have a smoke wheel that can be adjusted. I’d be looking at glow plugs when warming up, if the engine runs too cool, and injection timing.

Black sooting and smoke are different things.

If sooting it’s overfueled. Fix that.

If smoke, some injection pumps have a smoke wheel that can be adjusted. I’d be looking at glow plugs when warming up, if the engine runs too cool, and injection timing.
Can you say more about the difference between soot and smoke from a diesel and the causes of each?

Yes, I like Neste My renewable diesel. It's R99 and California is pushing it for marine and off-road uses through regulations. I found that this R99 was pretty easy to find on the West Coast a couple of years ago, but now it's even more widely available.

Yes. Ferrocene, Ferric Picrate and MMT are organo-metallic additives that reduce smoke, soot and lower emissions due to a more complete fuel burn.

FPC1 and Amalgamted TDR-FL are a couple. FPC1 has done extensive testing for their product in multiple engines. I’ve used TDR-FL and it also works.

Clean out the intake manifold, it may be full of carbon from the EGR which is limiting airflow.

Hi All,

Kind Regards & Thanks,
Jack

Neste doesn’t supply R99 to California any longer. A number of local refineries produce it now.

Yes, I like Neste My renewable diesel. It's R99 and California is pushing it for marine and off-road uses through regulations. I found that this R99 was pretty easy to find on the West Coast a couple of years ago, but now it's even more widely available.

Back