Which of these A3/B4 Oils Would You Choose?

I'm soon going to be buying my yearly service oil.
The car is a 2.0 HDI diesel from Peugeot. Standard HP is 90. It's been dyno'ed at 135hp after a remap and some exhaust work.

I like using this website in the UK. Very good team.

The options are either 0w40 or 5w40. I like the idea of 0w40 as I would think that'd mean less time with the oil filter in bypass mode. I intend to keep this car for as long as possible.

It doesn't do huge distances any more, which means it often doesn't get fully warm on journeys sadly.

I'm leaning towards the fuchs Titan Supersynth 0w40.

These are all the oils I can choose from. 😃

0w40 List

5w40 List

I like the Petronas Syntium 7000 0W40, it very subjectively feels "smooth", but have no opinion for a diesel engine.
I always thought these engines like thicker oil, but maybe I'm working on old memories that aren't accurate. Interested in other answers.

I like the Petronas Syntium 7000 0W40, it very subjectively feels "smooth", but have no opinion for a diesel engine.
I always thought these engines like thicker oil, but maybe I'm working on old memories that aren't accurate. Interested in other answers.

I used a petronas one last time, it does run quiet. I like to change it up each year. 🤣 Cheers!

0w40 Mobil 1 or Castrol would be at the top of my list.
Castrol is out straight away because they insist on using stupid 4L bottles. 🙄 I haven't used Mobil 1 for AGES so it's tempting to use that just because I haven't for a long time. 🤣

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is a very competent A3B4 indeed. Check out the approvals on the can.

1701451356224.jpg

Had a 2002 Peugeot 406 HDi 90 and honestly you could probably pick anything and it would be fine. Mine was running a decat, EGR blank and an FMIC off the 110 model and remapped to 145bhp. Was quite good fun!

I'd consider a 15w40 if I was running another DW10 today. 15w is perfectly suitable for our climate and the 15w40's are pretty stout!

This would work pretty well and would save you some pennies too...

Oh, and I also get the majority of my oil from Opie. Their customer service has always been top notch! Shame they aren't competitive on M1 oils though.

Had a 2002 Peugeot 406 HDi 90 and honestly you could probably pick anything and it would be fine. Mine was running a decat, EGR blank and an FMIC off the 110 model and remapped to 145bhp. Was quite good fun!

Oh, and I also get the majority of my oil from Opie. Their customer service has always been top notch! Shame they aren't competitive on M1 oils though.

The 406s are cracking cars as well! My mates Dad had one. It just went on and on. I imagine in a car that was probably surprisingly light, 145hp was good fun.

Opie is fantastic! I've used them the last 10 or so times I've ordered oils. Even more frequently since they've started leaning into the parts supply as well so I can get a decent oil filter and air filter as a package.

I went with the Mobil 1 0w40 in the end purely for it's huge swathe of manufacturer approvals! I'll be honest, I just felt like pushing the boat out and really treating the car this winter. 😂 I'm going to give it a seriously thorough going over. Stripping all the door, and boot seals, the lights etc and fully cleaning it all out along with a good service. It's amazing how much crap gets built up in all the rain drains that are hidden from view.

Business my brother and I run in Bosnia has various vehicles, but one was Peugeot 508 2.2hdi GT. Engine was absolute blast. Suspension not so much.
Anyway, we ran Repsol 5W30 C3, which we ran in all our delivery vehicles! Gas or diesel. Car racked up around 350,000km before we sold it.
Focus on approvals like MB229.51/52. My choice would be Castrol Edge 0W30 C3.

I would use Petronas too if it wasn't so expensive, and heck I even live in the country petronas is from...

You don't actually need 0W oil on your temperatures, zero benefit from that. Instead, it's about the approvals the oil has.

From your list:
- Fuchs Titan 0W-40 seems best bang for buck, as it has official MB-Approval 229.5 and still costs only £39.95 for 5 liters
- If price is not an issue, Castrol Edge 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be my choise

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought when it came to A3/B4 oils, they were all the same and basically auto manufacturers slap their approvals on and call it a day.

For me, if it has the VW502 or Porsche A40 approval, I’m happy. Not sure what you have in your region though.

Back