Didn't expect this in this town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drug cartel violence (kidnappings, murders, and misses that hit uninvolved targets) are a fact of life in my city. Mistaken identity cases occur as well.

I live in a bigger, fancier house in a more upscale neighborhood than ever in my life, we still had a couple of cases of gun violence - someone's house & vehicle being shot up by "unknown" parties - last year while I was recuperating from surgery. We have wild coyotes, bobcats, and even a puma sighted on my street by eyewitnesses and home security cams, but I'm relatively unconcerned about cohabiting in their presence. It's the two-legged varmints that concern me most.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We weren't expecting to get the bag back, and not with most things still in it. Funny...my daughter has left in my car after using it, a tag notice saying - All Valuables Removed. I don't keep much in my car, but if you go shopping, of course there are things inside. She lives in the city, where you are much more likely to get your car broken into parked anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_New_Zealand

I dispute the origins of some of these gangs, having been around in the early '70's. I find it funny that I can live in this ''dangerous'' enviroment without fear, and yet those in the US feel the need to be able to defend themselves with lethal force.

Being prepared isn't fear. As Free People, not Subjects, it is an inherent Right be able to defend ourselves with lethal force, if need be.

Instead of just being a completely helpless victim.

The town we live in has under 300 people living here. The place is full of drug dealers and drug addicts. The last lot of neighbours (drug dealers) is friends of the current slapper and we had to put up with trespassing, 14+ hour parties, constant hooning up and down the street, and for their defining moment they tried to run my kids over in the car. Everyone in town is deaf blind and dumb, 2 bus drivers teachers and multiple parents seen it happen but not a single one of them would call the police. Which doesn't do us any good when we call we get told to put up with it and it doesn't matter if they come on our property. Told us to take video of them, did that then they flat out refused to look at it. Then the maggot sends his colleague around to threaten me into silence. Spent nearly an hour trying to convince my wife I'm actually beating her and the kids and she can have me locked up in the mental wing of the hospital, "they can take me right now".

So small towns are not always what they're cracked up to be, nor the police.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Being prepared isn't fear. As Free People, not Subjects, it is an inherent Right be able to defend ourselves with lethal force, if need be.

Thank you for confirming my point of view.

My condolences to your loved ones should their lives need defending, and you won't do so.

Which is what, to beome a victim someday?

My condolences to your loved ones should their lives need defending, and you won't do so.

I'm guessing owning a gun in New Zealand for personal protection is probably illegal.

Yes, keep confirming that living in my world is a much better place than your place of fear. I think it's sad you live in fear of having to defend yourself.

This is a thread about people that cared.

Yes, keep confirming that living in my world is a much better place than your place of fear. I think it's sad you live in fear of having to defend yourself.

What people are you taking about that cared ... about what?

People here that have the right and know how to protect themselves don't "live in fear". It would be a more accurate description if someone didn't have the right or a way to protect themselves.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

What people are you taking about that cared ... about what?

Last paragraph in the OP...someone found the bag, made contact and was returning it.

Some places that would be a parable.

I live in the opioid epidemic center...I was vacationing in the Dominican Republic last summer and what comes on the news but Cincinnati's opioid problem?!? Can't leave anything unlocked and unattended, and clean-out the cars...don't even leave change in the cupholder.

My bride and I are taking our CCW classes next week...got a groupon deal if you can believe that. Crazy world we live in.

So I looked up the crime statistics for New Zealand. I was absolutely shocked (not really) to find homicides, assaults, sexual assaults and all sorts of violent crimes. I wonder if those victims shared the same smug naivete, right up until they became helpless victims that could do nothing to protect themselves..

So I looked up the crime statistics for New Zealand. I was absolutely shocked (not really) to find homicides, assaults, sexual assaults and all sorts of violent crimes. I wonder if those victims shared the same smug naivete, right up until they became helpless victims that could do nothing to protect themselves..

If you looked up the statistics, then you saw the numbers...why not quote them...and what they actually prove to YOU

Homicides...United States 6.53/100,000....New Zealand 0.91...for the mathematically challenged, that's a factor of more than 7, and doesn't back up the point that you are trying to make.

What was your point again ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

If you looked up the statistics, then you saw the numbers...why not quote them...and what they actually prove to YOU

Homicides...United States 6.53/100,000....New Zealand 0.91...for the mathematically challenged, that's a factor of more than 7, and doesn't back up the point that you are trying to make.

They way he talked, I'm surprised there is ANY crime.. But low and behold there are murders, rapes, assaults, etc., etc.

The point? How do you think those victims felt who couldn't legally carry for their own self-defense, even if they wanted to? Do you think they were also smug in their naive belief that nothing could possibly happen to them?

Bottom line: I wouldn't have said anything, if Silk hadn't taken his usual smug, xenophobic poke at the people of the USA. But I guess if one is jealous of the Freedoms and Rights non-Subjects enjoy, then it's not surprising.

Hi Silk,

I am sorry that you have run into the group of American forum members that are so afraid of "possibilities" that they are intentionally rude to other forum members who don't share their mental obsession with owning firearms. Not all Americans are like these select few forum members.

In fact, there are way more Americans who don't own firearms than there are those that do.
And, somehow, without owning firearms, the vast majority of unarmed Americans manage to not live in fear, and manage to live their entire lives without being victims of violence, which is what these forum members are telling you that is guaranteed to happen to you and your family because you don't have firearms in every room, with matching coasters, and silver plated bullets a-plenty.

Just ignore them, and realize that just about all of them have some form of uncontrollable fear that, for them, the only solution is owning as many guns as they can possibly fit in their houses. Almost all of them will go their entire lives without ever having to reach for one, but yet, they are convinced that just having it under their bed is what has kept the boogeyman away all these years.

Let them have their fantasy, and just ignore their taunts.

BC.

People who imagine they know what someone else's motivations are and how they feel are almost humorous, since no one truly understands another in this imperfect world.

That said, I am proud that me and my entire family, including two young beautiful daughters, are free to protect ourselves from violent crime.

It can and does happen. Denying it is unreasonable. The only thing you can do is protect yourself. And it is perfectly legal.

Works fine for me and millions of other gun owners who carry responsibly.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Hi Silk,

I am sorry that you have run into the group of American forum members that are so afraid of "possibilities" that they are intentionally rude to other forum members who don't share their mental obsession with owning firearms. Not all Americans are like these select few forum members.

In fact, there are way more Americans who don't own firearms than there are those that do.
And, somehow, without owning firearms, the vast majority of unarmed Americans manage to not live in fear, and manage to live their entire lives without being victims of violence, which is what these forum members are telling you that is guaranteed to happen to you and your family because you don't have firearms in every room, with matching coasters, and silver plated bullets a-plenty.

Just ignore them, and realize that just about all of them have some form of uncontrollable fear that, for them, the only solution is owning as many guns as they can possibly fit in their houses. Almost all of them will go their entire lives without ever having to reach for one, but yet, they are convinced that just having it under their bed is what has kept the boogeyman away all these years.

Let them have their fantasy, and just ignore their taunts.

BC.

Please.

If it weren't for Silk's regular little xenophobic taunts at the USA and it's Citizens, like this:

...and yet those in the US feel the need to be able to defend themselves with lethal force.

I never would have replied to this thread. Eventually, the little xenophobic taunts get old.

States that pass concealed carry laws actually experience more gun violence. https://www.thenation.com/article/actually-guns-do-kill-people/

Road rage used to be people yelling at each other or maybe throwing a punch or two. Here's one where two people shot and killed each other. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/michigan-concealed-carry-road-rage-two-dead_n_3956491.html

No, you won't find articles like these on the NRA's web site or most Fox affiliates so spare me the criticism of the sources.

The facts of the matter support the hypothesis that stricter access to guns and fewer guns lead to fewer firearm deaths. Carry a gun if you want and it is legal, but don't think the place where you live is any safer as a result. All too often kids get their hands on guns or someone in a temporary state of depression or desperation pulls the trigger with life ending consequences.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

They way he talked, I'm surprised there is ANY crime.. But low and behold there are murders, rapes, assaults, etc., etc.

The point? How do you think those victims felt who couldn't legally carry for their own self-defense, even if they wanted to? Do you think they were also smug in their naive belief that nothing could possibly happen to them?

Bottom line: I wouldn't have said anything, if Silk hadn't taken his usual smug, xenophobic poke at the people of the USA. But I guess if one is jealous of the Freedoms and Rights non-Subjects enjoy, then it's not surprising.

It's a matter of perspective. There were about 11,000 homicides in the US by firearms in 2013. By comparison, there was about 36,000 people killed by vehicles in 2016. So the odds of being a homicide victim is about 1/3 that of a vehicular crash. As it is, I don't worry about death from car crashes and I don't fear gun death nor am I packing or live in an area/state that I feel I need to. I believe a lot of the car deaths are due to drinking, drugs, inattention that as a driver you have some control over unless you're hit by someone else. Same with homicides, if you're not a drug dealer or somehow involved in a life of crime, the odds of being a victim are lower still. Oh and suicides account for 21,000 deaths so a gun is more likely to be used for a suicide than a homicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
People who imagine they know what someone else's motivations are and how they feel are almost humorous, since no one truly understands another in this imperfect world.

That said, I am proud that me and my entire family, including two young beautiful daughters, are free to protect ourselves from violent crime.

It can and does happen. Denying it is unreasonable. The only thing you can do is protect yourself. And it is perfectly legal.

Works fine for me and millions of other gun owners who carry responsibly.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back