Didn't expect this in this town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live on the bad side of a bad town, I have posted stories of the troubles. But personaly I don't have many problems with the place...perhaps I just fit in. I came home for lunch the other day, and there were patched gang members wandering around next door - hey, upward nod, it's all cool. I've gone out in the morning and found my car unlocked, the window down, or even worse, have found my keys in the door !

So my daughter came down last night to drop off our granddaughter, we look after her most weeks. Sometimes she doesn't lock her car, it's just outside the door, and sometimes she may leave stuff in the car...but never at the same time. But last night she did. Just before she went home, I went out to check her oil, and the passenger door was open, so I scolded my granddaughter for that. But getting in the car she found it ransacked (I couldn't tell, it's always a mess), and the only thing missing was her handbag. All her cards, $30 cash, nice headphones, and a wallet that belongs to my wife, and it's pretty old, and that's the thing she's most worried about losing. We wander around a bit, it's midnight, and we find some stuff that was in the bag, but no bag. It's an inorganic refuse time, piles of junk on the roadside everywhere...we expect the bag to be dumped in one of those, and we'd never find it at night. She rings the cops, and they are pretty good about it, because they entered my property it's a burglary. She cancels cards etc, the cops give her her license number incase she gets picked up on the way home. Next morning the GD and I have a look around the place, but nothing to be seen. Just young kids, opportunists, going up driveways and checking doors.

Later today she gets a call, the bag has been found ! We live opposite a large park, and over the other side some kids found the bag and brought it home to their father, everything is there apart from the headphones and cash. We'll go and get it tomorrow. The town gets such a bad rep, you don't expect honesty, let alone from kids, they seem to be the ones causing all the trouble. So, after a bit of a panic, remorse and other drama last night, we have a good outcome. And of course the cars will be locked when parked in our drive....until we all get lax again.

And I heard New Zealand was paradise.

But I understand. Being victimized is very unnerving.

Last edited:
In contrast I was in a small town in northern NH just before Christmas and was dumbfounded to see a newspaper vending machine unlocked with an open top coin box on top outside a small shop, the shop owner said its never been a problem and its been that way since the 40's as far as he knew.
Here they would rob all the papers to sell at intersections, coins and probably destroy the machine.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. One of the reasons I moved from Houston to small town Arizona. Houston has been good to me over the 45 years I lived there but it just kept getting bigger and bigger and with that crime increased dramatically. 99% of the people in Houston are as nice as you’ll meet anywhere, it’s that 1% that cause all the drama. And 1% of 2.3 million is a lot of bad actors.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Sorry to hear about your trouble. One of the reasons I moved from Houston to small town Arizona. Houston has been good to me over the 45 years I lived there but it just kept getting bigger and bigger and with that crime increased dramatically. 99% of the people in Houston are as nice as you’ll meet anywhere, it’s that 1% that cause all the drama. And 1% of 2.3 million is a lot of bad actors.

The bigger the city, the bigger the problems are.

That becomes a major issue when you live in a neighborhood where you can't own a gun. They know you aren't going to come out of the house and throw pillows at them!

What is a “patched gang member” in N Z land? Mowrey or other? I honestly have no idea.

Last edited:
I lived in Houston for 40+years. We Had a lady in the neighborhood that was making her third police report for auto break in in her driveway. The cop said "open your garage door". In the garage was a couple of boxes and a 20 dollar used sofa. He told her, "I never took a report of an auto burglary on a car parked in a closed garage".

My area had plenty of Audi, Mercedes, and BMW cars in the driveway every night while their garages were full of boxes of [censored] and junk lawn furniture.

What are they thinking?

^ So? If the cops caught the auto burglars and the courts sent them off for a good long while you or I could leave our cars wherever we felt like it on our property without being lectured on how we're doing it wrong.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: double vanos

The bigger the city, the bigger the problems are.

But when you live in the city, you always keep the doors locked and nothing in the car. Mine is always empty and there's nothing in the trunk. I did have someone smash my window a few months back. Still finding pieces of glass. There was nothing in there for them to steal. One of the state police told me it was a problem in the area, too many opioid users. Can't really avoid them in the city, there are homeless shelters right next to multi million dollar condo complexes.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ So? If the cops caught the auto burglars and the courts sent them off for a good long while you or I could leave our cars wherever we felt like it on our property without being lectured on how we're doing it wrong.

We don't live in a "what if" world...we live in a "what are the concequences" world.

Just so that I am clear, what is it, exactly that you didn't expect?

1. a purse to be stolen from an unlocked car?

or

2. the purse to be recovered so soon?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Just so that I am clear, what is it, exactly that you didn't expect?

1. a purse to be stolen from an unlocked car?

or

2. the purse to be recovered so soon?

I think he wasn't expecting that a purse would be stolen from an unlocked car. Thinks it means it's now a bad section of town. I don't think that's true, thieves have cars too. I remember reading once several years back about the number of thefts in a very rich town, turns out the number one item stolen was those GPS that people would just leave on their dash. That town is still very rich and home prices are going up even higher. Wonder what gets stolen there now. Police reports had a couple hundred stolen in one year.

Always lock vehicles and never leave anything in open sight inside. There are thieves everywhere. Don't give them an opportunity.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Druggies are everywhere.

And that problem, along with homelessness and gangs, seems to be getting worse in a lot of cities.

Keep 'em locked and loaded.
grin2.gif

We weren't expecting to get the bag back, and not with most things still in it. Funny...my daughter has left in my car after using it, a tag notice saying - All Valuables Removed. I don't keep much in my car, but if you go shopping, of course there are things inside. She lives in the city, where you are much more likely to get your car broken into parked anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_New_Zealand

I dispute the origins of some of these gangs, having been around in the early '70's. I find it funny that I can live in this ''dangerous'' enviroment without fear, and yet those in the US feel the need to be able to defend themselves with lethal force.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I find it funny that I can live in this ''dangerous'' enviroment without fear, and yet those in the US feel the need to be able to defend themselves with lethal force.

If you lived in an area where there were over a million people in a metropolitan area, and you constantly see reports of criminal violence and murder going on, you'd probably want some lethal force for protection too.

Are those little "ganstas" over there packing guns? If they were, and breaking into your home to rob and harm you, do you think the police could really do anything to stop it? Feel the need? ... [censored] right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back