Did the Admin Really Just Offer an Opinion as Fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I have never, ever posted a rant on ANY forum, let alone my favorite one. One which I peruse multiple times a day. But I have lost complete respect for Helen. And I don’t give a [censored] who knows and am indifferent to any consequences here.

Typewriter tiger.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
We should be all able to say and express an opinion, if not, our freedom has been compromised...

This isn't a public forum, it is privately owned and that means you play by the rules of the folks that own and operate it.

I do try to play by the rules, doesn't mean our freedoms are not compromised.

What freedoms? you are in their house, you agreed to follow their terms by joining. You do not have explicit freedoms in this private venue. You agreed to be subject to moderation and compliant with the restrictions outlined in the TOS when you created your account. That privilege can be revoked at any time and the moderation here is, like it or not, not subject to member review. This board is not a democracy and if Wayne, Helen or any of the mods think a thread is going off the rails they are under no obligation to justify a lock or delete. Nobody is being unduly repressed here, we all agreed to the same rules and protocols when we joined.

To the OP, my preferred method of questioning the mods on their actions is to question them through either PM or notify.

They are always responsive, and respectful, and will explain their decision...you might not always agree, but they will engage you and you will know why.

OVERKILL's point about being visitors in the house is well made.

That thread IMO was really at the point where nothing new was on the table, and the name calling had started...it needed to be put down.

New information, new start.

Don't blame the Administrator! He's just confirming what I said!
He practically copied my post word for word.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
The seal on the bottle will tell the whole story as to whether or not the oil bottle was a Walmart return. We still don't know what kind of seal was on the bottle or whether or not it was broken and then re-glued before being returned. Some oil bottles don't even have a seal; just a plastic lock on the cap. The only way Mobil is to blame is if in fact the seal was never broken before the OP bought the oil. My gut feeling along with some common sense tells me the oil bottle was a Walmart return. Notice how I said oil bottle and not oil? That's because the original contents of the bottle are long gone and probably in somebody else's engine.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
It is impossible for that to be Mobil 1 or any automotive lubricant. You got ripped off by someone pouring something back into the jug after they poured the Mobil 1 into their car.

Thread locked

Hi all, I have no qualms that the thread was locked. It was prob for the best. I will see what I can do with the engine. Make minor update on YT or thru PM those that contacted me that is interested.

Only beneficial info to you guys really at this point is how XOM and WM will react and How much metal is in those filters.

JHRZ2 has a great eye for details and a decent summary.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IBTL
wink.gif

Is there anything else you know to write beside ibtl?

+1 .... What does it matter if someone gets a post "in before the lock"?

1st) because in 99.9% when I see that word on that board is him...seriuously!

2nd) because it reminds me on a nerdy behaving from elementary school

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A topic us mods discuss. How much is too little and how much is too much. There is no correct answer and the only guarantee is that someone will be upset.

I hear ya Wayne ... I know moderating is a tough job, I did it for awhile myself on a bike board.

One thing I'd like to see on this board (that I see on other boards and think it works well) is for Mods to jump in and give a warning about the direction the thread is going and simply say if it continues going down the wrong path it will be locked or deleted. Seems to work well, and keeps discussions going.

+1 waaaay better than the disappearing posts...where you (often) dont have a clue what you said/typed wrong...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IBTL
wink.gif

1st) because in 99.9% when I see that word on that board is him...seriuously!

2nd) because it reminds me on a nerdy behaving from elementary school

I was agreeing with you Kamele0N (I used a "+1" at the beginning of my post) ... I guess I worded it wrong. What I was asking was why does demarpaint feel he has to get a post "in before the lock", but not say anything else but "IBTL"? Why do people post IBTL? It's a post that isn't necessary ... that's what I was trying to say.

Aaa sorry I didnt see that +1
smile.gif

Yea same here...It reminds me on childish behaving straight outta kindergarten or elementary school
smile.gif

Kamele0N said:
demarpaint said:
IBTL
wink.gif

Sorry you guys feel that way. Based on how the OP started off I really thought this thread was headed for a lock. I guess I was wrong this time.
21.gif
92.7% of the other times I've been right.
wink.gif

It is also a way of subscribing to a thread I find interesting or entertaining...

IBTL here too ...
crackmeup2.gif

And why get upset over a thread about bacon. Just limit your intake of that stuff. Too much pig fat, it'll put you in an early grave.

First.

REALLY! Stating opinion as fact is a very large portion (most) of what goes on around here.

Second.

That wasn’t M1 - That actually is a fact.

Third.

Helen had an accident?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4192055/Re:_Is_Helen_ok?#Post4192055

Originally Posted By: Shannow
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4192055/Re:_Is_Helen_ok?#Post4192055

Thanks.

Jooksing put a big ole worm on a treble hook and got bites for 26 pages. Lets see what creativity will arise for his next topics on BITOG.

Ps. I am glad the thread got locked -- was very redundant.

Dale

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If you don't want to read the entire thread, then just read the last page and it should be apparent why it was locked.

Yeah I just saw where joosing was beginning to get attacked as a person,as I read the final page as you suggested. That's unfortunate when stuff like that happens. Joosing has a tough skin,as he never seemed to go into retaliation mode.

I know being a mod can be a huge pita! I was a mod on a 60s music forum many years ago,and the amount of trolls were too much for the forum owner to handle,and he eventually closed it down.

Keep on rockin' Wayne!
cheers3.gif

Yeah, I didn't read the thread until after it was locked, and I noticed there were some disrespectful, accusatory posts directed at the OP in that thread, which I'm sure that was one of the reasons it was locked.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That thread IMO was really at the point where nothing new was on the table, and the name calling had started...it needed to be put down.

New information, new start.

Precisely. ExxonMobil isn't going to take responsibility for what was in that bottle because the UOA shows it wasn't the typical formulation for the product. The company also isn't going to go back and say "Yeah per the lot number that batch was defective" either, not because they wish to hide anything but because tests were performed on that batch before it was bottled and those tests will show the product to be within the required parameters - otherwise it wouldn't have been sold.

So that leaves two possible scenarios, one is that it was tampered with post-production, or the OP poured something different in the engine and is claiming that it came from the bottle although it did not. The problem I have with the first one is that the OP noted that it looked fine during pouring, and (putting on my devious hat) I wouldn't think that someone trying to get by cheap by returning the oil would put something in the bottle that looked like new oil. Maybe so, but what? It's clearly not even used motor oil that was filtered. What is dirt cheap, looks and acts like new motor oil and would deceive a casual observer? Plus the foil seal was intact so that's a darn sophisticated crook if I've ever seen one.

As to the second scenario, there's little evidence that the OP is the source of the problem. So we are left with nothing other than a bunch of goo in an engine and no real idea of how it got there. I don't see a positive outcome by going to ExxonMobil nor Walmart. I think they both have valid and defensible reasons for not taking responsibility. It's not Mobil 1 and the seal was intact when opened by the purchaser from Walmart. Both are going to say that we don't know what happened to it after it left our custody.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I have never, ever posted a rant on ANY forum, let alone my favorite one. One which I peruse multiple times a day. But I have lost complete respect for Helen. And I don’t give a [censored] who knows and am indifferent to any consequences here.

Please don't bash Helen, since her accident she has little to do with this website. I am responsible for how this website is operated.

Wayne

I appreciate the way you run things. I've been here a long time too and used to talk to Bob on the phone in the early days when things got a little out of sorts. It's a no win job that usually pays nothing and receives nothing but grief. Know that you are appreciated and respected.

There are a number of polyurethane based coatings, adhesives, casting materials, etc. that contain no solvent, have very little odor, and look like new motor oil.

While they are not cheap (typically $10 to $50/quart), they can be a problem to dispose of. Perhaps someone figured out a way to dispose of excess product for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back