Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
So......, what kind of oil is best?

35.gif
36.gif
12.gif

I prefer coconut oil.

That is wasn't all Mobil 1 is fact, look at the UOA. We don't know what else was in the oil and no way we can tell unless someone spends $$ to find out.

I agree,what's up with closing that thread??

There was no brand bashing,no forum rule breakage,etc. I speak for myself,but I bet others want to know what the final outcome of the op's misfortune will be. I know some people think M1 is the cure for cancer,but come on people! If this had been an RP thread instead of an M1 thread I bet it wouldn't have gotten locked. There would be RP bashing left and right,and everyone would be throwing RP under the bus.

The fact is,NO ONE knows as of yet what was in that jug,and that's what jooseng is trying to find out within his plausible means.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I prefer coconut oil.

I use that to keep my hair soft and healthy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

There was no brand bashing,no forum rule breakage,etc. I speak for myself,but I bet others want to know what the final outcome of the op's misfortune will be. I know some people think M1 is the cure for cancer,but come on people! If this had been an RP thread instead of an M1 thread I bet it wouldn't have gotten locked. There would be RP bashing left and right,and everyone would be throwing RP under the bus.

The oil brand had nothing to do with locking the thread. Go back and read the thread in it's entirety, there was no point in continuing with the name calling. If you don't want to read the entire thread, then just read the last page and it should be apparent why it was locked. If the OP has new information, then we will either open the thread or he can start a new topic.

Wayne

Which means you have the freedom to open your own website and say anything you wish.

When you are here, it is like being a guest in someone's home. Their house, their rules.
Such is no infringement of your rights.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
We should be all able to say and express an opinion, if not, our freedom has been compromised...

Originally Posted By: wwillson
If you don't want to read the entire thread, then just read the last page and it should be apparent why it was locked.

Yeah I just saw where joosing was beginning to get attacked as a person,as I read the final page as you suggested. That's unfortunate when stuff like that happens. Joosing has a tough skin,as he never seemed to go into retaliation mode.

I know being a mod can be a huge pita! I was a mod on a 60s music forum many years ago,and the amount of trolls were too much for the forum owner to handle,and he eventually closed it down.

Keep on rockin' Wayne!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We should be all able to say and express an opinion, if not, our freedom has been compromised...

This isn't a public forum, it is privately owned and that means you play by the rules of the folks that own and operate it.

I do try to play by the rules, doesn't mean our freedoms are not compromised.

Sorry, but when you come into someone's home, business, website you can't do or say anything you want. BITOG is well known for strict enforcing of it's stated allowable subject matter and conduct. Freedoms aren't compromised when you agree to a set of rules to join and participate.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I have never, ever posted a rant on ANY forum, let alone my favorite one. One which I peruse multiple times a day. But I have lost complete respect for Helen. And I don’t give a [censored] who knows and am indifferent to any consequences here.

Please don't bash Helen, since her accident she has little to do with this website. I am responsible for how this website is operated.

Wayne

^^^^^^^

Great post AZjeff. Spot on.

And great job Wayne. I appreciate what you do on here. It's not easy at all. Kind of like middle management
smile.gif

Tough place to be.

I only read part of the thread and didn't bother with it after the first page. Its obvious that that was not Mobil 1 or any other brand name oil. I'm surprised it went on for 26 pages of chatter.

This isn't a public forum, it is privately owned and that means you play by the rules of the folks that own and operate it.

True, but if the "rules" and moderating actions get too ridiculous, it's going to [censored] some people off who will eventually leave ... and that includes people who bring some good info to the board.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
And great job Wayne. I appreciate what you do on here. It's not easy at all. Kind of like middle management
smile.gif

Tough place to be.

Thank all of our mods. I just looked at the sign-up date of all of our mods and added all of the cumulative membership - 101 years of belonging to BITOG! The cumulative years as moderator is about 90, now that's dedication.

Wayne

Please don't bash Helen, since her accident she has little to do with this website. I am responsible for how this website is operated.

Wayne

Sorry to hear about Helen ... first time I've heard of this, hope she's OK.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

True, but if the "rules" and moderating actions get too ridiculous, it's going to [censored] some people off who will eventually leave ... and that includes people who bring some good info to the board.

A topic us mods discuss. How much is too little and how much is too much. There is no correct answer and the only guarantee is that someone will be upset.

A topic us mods discuss. How much is too little and how much is too much. There is no correct answer and the only guarantee is that someone will be upset.

I hear ya Wayne ... I know moderating is a tough job, I did it for awhile myself on a bike board.

One thing I'd like to see on this board (that I see on other boards and think it works well) is for Mods to jump in and give a warning about the direction the thread is going and simply say if it continues going down the wrong path it will be locked or deleted. Seems to work well, and keeps discussions going.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Wayne

Sorry to hear about Helen ... first time I've heard of this, hope she's OK.

Yeah same here. What happened? Is she alright?

I just spent about 15 minutes reading this thread. I had not, to my memory or awareness, read it before.

If I comprehended the number of pages I read correctly:
- The OP had a sludgelike substance in the engine of their hybrid vehicle. They had to heat the engine up to even get it to pour out.
- A large number of people speculated on what it could be and why this happened. Walmart putting returned stock on shelves was largely to blame, and cheap cooking oil was speculated to be a potential cause.
- The OP and others went back and forth on who to blame, XOM or WM. OP contacted XOM who gave a form to be filled out by a reputable mechanic. OP did not have engine torn down by reputable mechanic, but did pull valve cover to check things out.
- The OP did a UOA, which looked to me like an oil with zero additives, which diluted a formulated oil by a pretty significant fraction. This resulted in adds like Zn being 188, and others also being significantly low.
- The discussion went on for twenty something pages with no solution, no legal action, just huge potential for propagating misinformation or continued speculation with no plan or attempt to get an outcome in sight.

Am I missing anything?

And after 26 pages of nothing, with no attempt at a real and objective outcome, other than a UOA and a image under the VC, this shouldn't be shut down why????

Quote:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

The oil brand had nothing to do with locking the thread. Go back and read the thread in it's entirety, there was no point in continuing with the name calling. If you don't want to read the entire thread, then just read the last page and it should be apparent why it was locked. If the OP has new information, then we will either open the thread or he can start a new topic.

Wayne

I believe this sums it up well. It wasn't a matter of being fans or haters of any oil. It had zero to do with brand preference, and everything to do with continuous speculation with no plan or action besides a UOA and VC picture.

I agree that if and only if there is new information of substance, the thread can be reopened or a new thread could be started linking to that one.

Id at minimum expect that something along the lines of:

- an actual tear down
- an actual chemical analysis of the oil
- an actual lawsuit and/or settlement with WalMart
- an actual lawsuit and/or settlement with XOM

Would need to happen for there to be anything of substance to justify further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back