Diamonds and Engagements

Yup, just another cop out for some young but not all by any means.
No commitment to anyone but themselves, so be it, it’s the USA Today for the lazy to justify languishing through life.
But no where near the amount the media generated news stories post for clickbait.
If you only knew what young women do today, you would run, not walk away from marriage too.

IMG_2767.jpg

https://features.inside.com/why-arent-men-in-their-20s-having-sex/amp/

But none of that relates to diamonds and engagements, now does it.

So, does the diamond industry know something is going to change with young men's "luck", and real soon!

:ROFLMAO:

Interesting linked article - loving the theories for men's abstinence...doesn't paint some altruistic picture of what is driving the stats for men.
Here is another interesting statistic about a certain adult oriented website. So while the previous stats were about young males, this one seems to be about either divorced males or males in unhappy relationships.

IMG_2769.jpeg

Wow, I bet the diamond sellers didn't take that into account. Not to mention AI "girlfiends" - that never say "No".

🐦 & 🐝

A lot of this stuff is clickbait, gloom and doom always sells, no matter the subject.
World event in 2020. Diamond market no different. Also the crash of 2008, diamond market no different. Always rebounds always will.
But articles made to look like news stories leave out the real facts or no one would be interested in the stories of the OP.

Such as this =
" Spike in Diamond Prices Isn't Putting Off Engagements
  • Signet has seen robust demand for engagement rings in 2022
  • CEO says diamond prices have risen around 15%-20% this year"

(doesnt exactly sound like the theme of this entire thread does it?)
If we want to talk about world wide diamond growth one just has to look at Asia, while the economies of Asia catch up to and in many circles surpass the USA going all out on an engagement even in places like the wealthy in China far exceeds us in the USA.
There is a reason diamond prices are going through the roof and if its not un in the USA its just in others countries we never thought possible. There is TONS of wealth in Asia and constantly growing.
Just as Tesla is in China, so are the diamond merchants.
"

China​

Go big or go home! In China, engagements are next-level moments. China makes American proposals and Prom-posals look sedate! A piece in The Atlantic detailed the amazing stories and great lengths some future grooms took to arrange the perfect engagement. Think a fleet of luxury cars arranged in a heart shape. Or a love note spelled out in hot dogs!

And the ring? The ring better be up to the bride’s standards! Last year one bride-to-be rejected her suitorbecause the diamond was too small (She eventually gave in, once he agreed to increase the ring size to one carat).

Part of this is due to China’s now-defunct one-child policy. In Chinese culture, baby boys were preferred. That means there are now 30 million more men than women in China… and that means a lot of eligible bachelors may never find a bride. To get the girl, the men are going all-out.

Last edited:
Wow, I bet the diamond sellers didn't take that into account. Not to mention AI "girlfiends" - that never say "No".

🐦 & 🐝
Diamond prices are going through the roof ^^^ it's not about the USA anymore. We tend to not understand how wealthy Asia is becoming. American ignorance I would say, that includes me until I become part of a family over there. Americans would be blown away by shopping malls over there, far exceed us in the USA in most all areas.
Europe and USA still by far the largest buyers but one has to look where the growth is the highest.

Personally I love diamonds and dont think for a minute that most all significant others do not feel special getting diamond jewelry.
Whatever, its a gift, no different than any other, but it is a strong statement whether one wants to admit it or not and its not one that will go away to a large portion of the population.

Last edited:
I would say posting outdated articles from 2022 is clickbait.
The diamond index is in the toilet now. It may be a good opportunity for investment though.

If Asians are as shallow as your post makes it out to be (bride demanding a bigger diamond) and if that’s the norm over there (I doubt it) then it should rebound quickly.

View attachment 179372
Excellent point, was unaware until I just saw your post and confirmed. I would only guess this abrupt change maybe do to interest rate increases and a slowing of the economy. I mean a story about people not getting engaged would not hold water for an overnight change like this.
Then one must take into account the unprecedented rise in the diamond prices on the chart. Supply and demand coming out of covid I would think, and with most massive increases in any product sometimes is followed by a lull. Maybe, but I read this like a product of massive Fed tightening and rate increases and oversupply do to the massive peak on the chart.

Was this an appraisal for insurance purposes, or an actual cash offer?
I learned why that is.

Insurance will collect premiums based on the appraisal.

They will never pay out more than what it costs for them to replace it themselves.

Your cost $15,000

Appraisal $30,000–insurance premiums based on this number

Wholesale value $6,000. This is what they will pay out in cash. More likely they will replace with a like stone, based on your report. You don’t have one, or it’s IGI or something? Likely the stone is worth $3500.

your personal friends in the business will concur with the a above

Our homes tend to be over insured and insurance will never pay those numbers but they will collect the premiums

Back