Diamonds and Engagements

I would think that if, for some reason, one really a ring aren't the manufactured diamonds cheaper and better?
Supposedly one of the ways to identify a manufactured diamond (an actual diamond that's made in a factory) is that it's perfect. And yellow, which used to be very rare and therefore very valuable, is one of the more common colours in manufactured diamonds.

There had been rumours that the Russians were manufacturing diamonds for years. The way they were found out is somebody turned up with a bag of perfect yellow diamonds. What are the chances?

I had the same issue, my husband's parents are divorced so I thought he was always skeptical about marriage based on our conversations, so I never pushed the issue. He proposed in 2018 and we've been happily married ever since.
I would say buy each other a ring (wedding band) of close to equal value.

Supposedly one of the ways to identify a manufactured diamond (an actual diamond that's made in a factory) is that it's perfect. And yellow, which used to be very rare and therefore very valuable, is one of the more common colours in manufactured diamonds.

There had been rumours that the Russians were manufacturing diamonds for years. The way they were found out is somebody turned up with a bag of perfect yellow diamonds. What are the chances?
A better way is (used to be) by using FTIR to detect nitrogen, but I read an article a while back that now the process can include some of these inclusions to try and further simulate a natural diamond.

Diamonds are useless and are the greatest marketing campaign in the history or marketing.
Funny how marriage cannot be seen without them.

Maybe the youngsters are smarter then we think and simply skip this useless bobble. Also, if one doesn’t plan on taking the tax benefits, why involve the government with your private affairs?
the youngsters do seem to be a little bit smarter and more cynical about marketing ploys like this. But they have their own weaknesses for wasting money.

Last edited:
My wife had been married before and never received a decent diamond ring. When we got engaged 16 years ago I decided she should get something really nice. She deserved the best I could afford. It wasn't her idea....all mine. I found a beautiful diamond ring for her for $10k. Recently we had it appraised and the appraisal came back more than double what I paid. Is it an investment? Not financially speaking. I just really wanted her to have a nice ring to remind her how important she is to me.

I bought my wife a 3/4 karat stone 55 years ago. Not perfect but had great cut, color, clarity. 25 year later I added another stone and at our 40th her ring has 3 matching stones. Looks more impressive than a 1.5 single stone. Don't need to go large.

Women like diamonds. Get as much as you can comfortably afford IMHO
I agree it seems the young don’t want marriage.

I learned 15 years a trick is to sell high carat weight but shallow depth. Poorly cut maximizing carat weight.

Because like HP, many fixate on a single number. Esp the bride.

4C’s except for princess cut do matter. And it’s a terrible business with humongous margins. If anyone says you don’t need a GIA report, politely exit the establishment.

If you're with someone like minded, they'll also realize engagement rings and extravagant weddings are a waste. We bought modest wedding bands and just had a dinner for the immediate family and friends.

My brother blew a ton of money on rings and an extravagant wedding just to get divorced a few years later.
When I got married, my wife used her mom's wedding ring which, if I recall, was passed down from her grandmother. I used my dad's wedding band.

When I got together with Sweetie, I made a ring from the silver spoon that was made to commemorate my birth. Sweetie wore the ring on a silver chain around her neck, and instead of an engagement we "went steady".

One of the big diamond companies (we all know its name) decided it would be good for their business if a diamond ring was the proper engagement gift, and launched an ad campaign. Seems the campaign worked.

There is even a rule of thumb on how much to spend on the ring. You "should spend" 2 to 3 months income on an engagement ring.
We truly are a nation of dumbed down Tv watchers.

One of the big diamond companies (we all know its name) decided it would be good for their business if a diamond ring was the proper engagement gift, and launched an ad campaign. Seems the campaign worked.

There is even a rule of thumb on how much to spend on the ring. You "should spend" 2 to 3 months income on an engagement ring.
Sounds akin to the modern white screen flip suggestion of 18% tip for takeout. You can also tip 20 or 25% if you feel especially highly of yourself.

Some o' dem who prefers IPAs, Pilsners, stouts, and lagers to jewelry sez dat de beers are better den de diamonds.

My wife had been married before and never received a decent diamond ring. When we got engaged 16 years ago I decided she should get something really nice. She deserved the best I could afford. It wasn't her idea....all mine. I found a beautiful diamond ring for her for $10k. Recently we had it appraised and the appraisal came back more than double what I paid. Is it an investment? Not financially speaking. I just really wanted her to have a nice ring to remind her how important she is to me.
An appraisal yes. But was it an offer to purchase at that price? Probably not.

As far as I know appraisals are typically inflated. Or as they say on TV "the value, for insurance purposes ....".

Signet (owner of Zales, Jared, Kay Jewelers, Blue Nile and Diamonds Direct) said the lull in proposals is expected to bottom out this year, and engagements will likely rebound starting in early 2024.

Who would have guessed - engagements going back up? That's not the story line I've been hearing lately. Latest generation is not interested in marriage at all.

Yup, just another cop out for some young but not all by any means.
No commitment to anyone but themselves, so be it, it’s the USA Today for the lazy to justify languishing through life.
But no where near the amount the media generated news stories post for clickbait.

Back