Dexos1 requirements and 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yep ~ I have more respect for GM’s approach to lubricants than some of the others … and looking for Dexos is like hunting sand on the beach … it’s everywhere and cheap …

Agreed

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yep ~ I have more respect for GM’s approach to lubricants than some of the others … and looking for Dexos is like hunting sand on the beach … it’s everywhere and cheap …

Can’t say Dexron has not been an effective standard either …

Exactly. Like I mentioned in another thread, you grab any old GM, a Camaro from the last generation, a truck from the mid 1970s, a 2000-ish Blazer, a mid 1990s Roadmaster, and ask GM what the lubricant should be. They'll say a dexos1 5w-30, without exception. There's no ambiguity, hunting for obsolete specifications, specifications across several parent companies current and past (I'm looking at you, Chrysler), no hunting for obsolete viscosities. You grab and go.

And yes, tell me anyone who's even remotely a gear head and has never touched a bottle of Dexron transmission fluid in one variant or another.

jdavis: I'd agree. I've said before that yes, GM makes a bit of money off of the dexos1 specification. I don't see a huge problem with trying to get engineers and bean counters and marketers on board for a spec. Engineers get their specification (which is clearly simply beyond SN/GF-5), bean counters see that it should at least be self-financing, and marketers get to do their logo and promotion. GM isn't making some huge killing off of dexos1 royalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back