Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say that I was diagnosed with clinical depression and generalized anxiety disorder(the two are often hard to distinguish) a few years ago.

Most of the suggestions for things to do in this thread are good, but ultimately going and seeking help from a qualified professional IS the best thing to do. Therapy may be the right answer, medication might be the right answer, or some combination of those might be the answer. There are plenty of easily treatable conditions like thyroid problems that can cause symptoms, or perhaps something like an SSRI(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor-the most common class of antidepressants) might be the answer.

BTW, IF you do go down the SSRI route be forewarned that they can take ~1 month to start working and it may take trial and error to find the one that works for you. In the SHORT term, benzodiazepines(Xanax, Ativan, Klonipin, Valium-they mostly differ in onset time and duration of action) can provide some immediate relief, but current consensus is to use them for short term treatment only-basically no more than about 3 or 4 weeks to get you over the "hump" to SSRIs.

Just to give a bit of history about how mine came about-I can remember distinctly sitting one evening watching TV and just being overcome with anxiety. I couldn't place what it was or point to any trigger, but just knew that I was so ill at ease I was basically paralyzed. In retrospect, that was likely an anxiety attack. Over the following weeks, that feeling would wax and wane in intensity but it was always there. The thought of eating made me sick(even though I forced myself to) and I couldn't sleep. I would drag myself to go to work every day and go through the motions, but that was it. I have plenty of hobbies, but couldn't even make myself concentrate on anything long enough to take my mind off everything else. I couldn't find ANYTHING I could do on my own that would help. I can also remember there being times where I'd just break out in tears for no apparent reason, although that strangely was one of the few things that would make me feel better. My friends and parents both would drag me out to do things with them, but I honestly couldn't find any pleasure in anything. ALL of these things are textbook symptoms of clinical depression.

My parents FINALLY convinced me to visit a doctor, and between therapy and SSRIs(yes, I went through a few) I'm at about 99.9% of where I once was. I do still find myself taking an occasional klonipin, but that's rare and I do keep them around(with an active prescription) for a "just in case" brewing panic attack.

You've done the right thing by reaching out here, but strangers on the internet can only do so much.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Exercise (and sticking to it) helps with depression.

Didn't for me. As pointed out here....there have been many suggestions including vitamin B and D, hobbies, friends, pets,Reading, etc, etc, etc. You can do everything right and do all the things that give you joy, and still go down the drain.

Originally Posted By: Al

Didn't for me. As pointed out here....there have been many suggestions including vitamin B and D, hobbies, friends, pets,Reading, etc, etc, etc. You can do everything right and do all the things that give you joy, and still go down the drain.

This is certainly worth a try before going to meds.

Originally Posted By: Al

This is certainly worth a try before going to meds.

Of course. No argument there.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Good Saturday afternoon BITOG faithful. So, I am 38 and attached but sometimes very depressed. Dunno if it's work or something else. Any ideas to help improve this? I do go for walks at local park often and ice skate at ice rink nearby and shoo some pucks at nets as I'm a diehard Penguins fan

Thank you all in advance

Maybe I should buy some vintage records to help me relax more

car51, my general Dr. has me taking KLONOPIN. When I was discharged from the ARMY the VA put me on BUPROPION XL. I took it quite often right after being honorably discharged. Today, I take it as needed.
Have you seen a Dr. about your depression? It couldn't hurt. Good luck!
smile.gif

I went to my pcp and he prescribed me an anti depressant.

I went into a hypo manic state for a year and felt the best of my life and but relationships suffered. I was then diagnosed bipolar and given proper meds by a psychiatrist. I have since felt Blaise from that point on and a bit numb.

Meds were required for me but they don’t equate to happiness just a steady disconnected state. I hope you figure it out.

Sometimes a new environment will reduce depression.

Some people get stuck in a rut and really dislike the life they are living.

I’m not saying this is the OP’s problem.... but I’ve seen people have a different outlook of their life with new surroundings and environment.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Sometimes a new environment will reduce depression.

Some people get stuck in a rut and really dislike the life they are living.

I’m not saying this is the OP’s problem.... but I’ve seen people have a different outlook of their life with new surroundings and environment.

You know, you might have something there. I moved to FL in '87 from La. I moved back to La. in '12. I really get depressed watching the grass, corn, and cotton grow here. I wish I were back in FL.

Then you have people like my brother who moves around a lot thinking a change in location will solve everyhing, "The Geographical Solution" as a friend of mine calls it. Of course it never works, everything that was a real problem other than location still exists, and whether location is honestly a problem is often a matter of perception.

Having said that I'm happier to be back in sunny South Texas nearer to surviving relatives and some old friends than I was living in the Great Lakes area, because I enjoyed what South Texas has to offer while growing up here. For someone who enjoyed growing up in the Great Lakes area, I'm sure the reverse would be true.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Then you have people like my brother who moves around a lot thinking a change in location will solve everyhing, "The Geographical Solution" as a friend of mine calls it. Of course it never works, everything that was a real problem other than location still exists, and whether location is honestly a problem is often a matter of perception.

Having said that I'm happier to be back in sunny South Texas nearer to surviving relatives and some old friends than I was living in the Great Lakes area, because I enjoyed what South Texas has to offer while growing up here. For someone who enjoyed growing up in the Great Lakes area, I'm sure the reverse would be true.

Some people just feel trapped in their situation and must change direction.

Problems will always exist, but a fresh new start is great to clear out the cobwebs.

Sunshine definitely helps with people's attitude and outlook, as well as a natural source of vitamin D. If anyone has tendency of depression, do not move to the Pacific NW where it's gray and rains 6 months out of the year.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Sunshine definitely helps with people's attitude and outlook, as well as a natural source of vitamin D. If anyone has tendency of depression, do not move to the Pacific NW where it's gray and rains 6 months out of the year.
eek.gif

Agree it can exacerbate it, BUT, vitamin D and exercise can keep it at bay. If not, an inexpensive lightbox of good quality can kick it VERY effectively.

eek.gif

Do you drive your Z06 in the rain? If not, I bet it's low mileage.
19.gif

Depression is such a vague term.

It can be situational. You lose a loved one, your wife leaves you, you lose your job, or some other event can trigger a temporary depression. I don't know what constitutes a temporal vs chronic depression, but a medical professional can.

For some, Cognitive behavior therapy is all that is needed to resolve anxiety or depression. For others, that in addition to medication are needed.

I doubt many totally resolve the issue with medication only.

I would consult a qualified medical professional who will look at you holistically and not just write a script for whatever the drug reps are promoting this month, bumping up his numbers.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Talk to your Doctor to ensure this is not physical issue. If clear find a therapist. You have taken the first and most difficult step in acknowledging something isn't right.

This for sure. There are many causes and contributing factors to depression. If it's not diagnosed properly in the first place, it gets hard to treat.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
eek.gif

Do you drive your Z06 in the rain? If not, I bet it's low mileage.
19.gif

It's been driven in the rain quite a few times, but it gets stored for the winter when the roads start getting icy and they throw salt brine and sand on the roads. Driving it helps fight depression too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=depression+jordan+peterson Dr. Peterson, former Harvard psychology professor, currently teaching at the Univ. of Toronto, has a bunch of figurative gold on youtube for people suffering emotionally.

www.selfauthoring.com

Yes, you did the right thing by posting this on BITOG. It's a help forum.

Oil Flunky and Shannow, thanks for putting me onto Jordan Peterson. Wow, is he ever right on! I will recommend these to a couple of friends who are struggling. Cars51, if you haven't checked these out yet, please do.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=depression+jordan+peterson Dr. Peterson, former Harvard psychology professor, currently teaching at the Univ. of Toronto, has a bunch of figurative gold on youtube for people suffering emotionally.

www.selfauthoring.com

Yes, you did the right thing by posting this on BITOG. It's a help forum.

Oil Flunky and Shannow, thanks for putting me onto Jordan Peterson. Wow, is he ever right on! I will recommend these to a couple of friends who are struggling. Cars51, if you haven't checked these out yet, please do.

Same here. THANK YOU for posting those Jordan Peterson videos. I've watched four of them now and I might even buy his book.

I haven't read all posts, but don't let it go further down. My wife had to be treated for a depression some years ago. Even I didn't notice how serious it had become until it was almost too late. She spent a few weeks in an institute for treatment and medication adjusting. That was a pretty hard time for our family to see her like this and it took its toll on me. I am much more anxious than I was before whenever she or one of the kids get sick.

In her case, part of the cause was physical, that's what her medication is for. She may have to take these for the rest of her life, but she now functions normally.

If you're not too far gone, videos can help, psychologists are even better if you need a step further. If none of these help, look for medical causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back